Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bowling Pin Revo

SIGcurious

On 12/30/2023 at 10:27 AM, Boomstick303 said:

Who knew there were enough revolver shooters in one area to hold such a match????

On 12/30/2023 at 9:15 PM, ColoradoNick said:

🤣🤣🤣🫡

yeh, vultures have figured that one out, seems they are always circling revolver matches figuring on getting lucky

I shoot with Squirrel45 and also use a v comp for pins. 230gr bear creak with 6.7 gr of blue dot. Makes about 207PF and clears them off the table no problem. We have 5 pins in a V on a 3x4 foot table and have no issues clearing them even when they get heavy. 

11 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

When they get to that stage, we call them porcupines. 

A 610 with 180gr flat nose will take them off the table pretty good.

I imagine it would. 

I do think a lot of it is bullet design.  As you said, flat tip is better than round nose, soft lead is probably better than hard lead, a longer bullet is probably better than a shorter one, moderate velocity is probably better than high.

Thankfully, I am just not as enthused with pin shooting as other action shooting sports or I would be out there spending time and money testing everything under the sun and probably coming up with nothing different than thirty years ago!

GG

• 3 weeks later...

I shot a lot of pin matches with autos in .45 and 10mm, and revolvers in .357 Mag, .44 Mag, .45 Colt, and .45 ACP.  

I never found any handgun that was more effective on pins than my 8-3/8" Baumannized S&W 27 with 230-gr. logs at a little over 1000 fps.

627 v comp or 627 7in custom barrel 230grn logs doing 975-1000 fps for main events and 625 with 6in barrel with porting 255 keith style 875-900fps for revolver reload

Barney Niner

Edited by daddy9er
add name

No pin shoots anywhere near me either.

Many years ago, we used to shoot pins just as targets among other targets. Now, ranges have banned them. Apparently, there were issues getting rid of the wrecked pins and their debris.

There was a range in Iowa years ago where they would burn the shot-up pins in a barrel after the match and guys would cook hot dogs over them.  Lead bullet fumes and all.

Sorta explains some of the behavioral issues we have seen in many of the older pin shooters!  😄

On 2/1/2024 at 9:19 AM, testosterone said:

No pin shoots around here, most of the stand and deliver off season stuff is plate racks in this area...

Most likely it is near impossible to get them anymore.  Not a lot of bowling alleys around anymore and the ones that are still running sell the pins to recycling places.

Like getting wheel weights that didn't need alloying at the local tire store, the days of going to the local bowling alley and getting a couple dozen worn out pins for free is over.  

Much easier and much less problematic to shoot plates too.

GG

On 2/1/2024 at 12:19 PM, testosterone said:

No pin shoots around here, most of the stand and deliver off season stuff is plate racks in this area...

You'll have to venture to the eastern side of the state. Sprague Rod and Gun holds pin shoots first and third Sunday of the month all year outside. And if theres a fifth Sunday we do rimfire pin tops. 

On 2/2/2024 at 8:56 PM, Carmoney said:

There was a range in Iowa years ago where they would burn the shot-up pins in a barrel after the match and guys would cook hot dogs over them.  Lead bullet fumes and all.

Sorta explains some of the behavioral issues we have seen in many of the older pin shooters!  😄

Mmmm, love that oaky maple flavor with side notes of resin, urethane and lead. 🤣🤢

On 2/2/2024 at 11:56 PM, Carmoney said:

Sounds like my kinda guys!  :)

On 2/2/2024 at 10:56 PM, Carmoney said:

I'd worry about the toxic fumes from the Pin coating too.

Decades ago my dad had the idea to melt styro foam cups and make glue.  I pointed out the fumes were probably toxic?  Talked him out of it.

4 hours ago, pskys2 said:

I'd worry about the toxic fumes from the Pin coating too.

Decades ago my dad had the idea to melt styro foam cups and make glue.  I pointed out the fumes were probably toxic?  Talked him out of it.

I think back on all the crap we did as kids and wonder why we’re still alive. 

43 minutes ago, Farmer said:

I think back on all the crap we did as kids and wonder why we’re still alive. 

🤣🤣🤣👍🙏🙉ain't that the truth.  My dad had even crazier stories.