Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pulling coated bullets

midatlantic

I’m trying to disassemble some 9 mm, and some Smith & Wesson 40, cartridges loaded with coated bullets. Specifically Blue bullets. I’m using an RCBS bullet puller,  which works great on copper plated, etc. rounds but slips off the coated bullets. Anyone have a solution?

I’m trying to avoid using an impact puller, that hammer thing, whatever one calls it. 

W 9mm part of the problem may be that I’m using truncated cones. Hard for the collet to get a good grip. It’s a 9mm. 

farmer, what do you mean by shell holder?  Shell holder just holds the case down..

second the Lyman. 

Edited by midatlantic

12 minutes ago, midatlantic said:

W 9mm part of the problem may be that I’m using truncated cones. Hard for the collet to get a good grip. It’s a 9mm. 

farmer, what do you mean by shell holder?  How does that work?

Included with the hammer is a 3 piece aluminum collet that grabs the case by the extractor groove. My original one had a garter spring holding the 3 pieces together and was a pain in the ass because it kept falling apart. I just use either a Lee flat shell holder or any other brand to hold the case in the hammer. Makes changes way faster BUT if you have a loose shell holder and a really tight bullet it can booger up the rim a bit. 

IMG_3802.jpeg

On 12/3/2023 at 12:56 PM, midatlantic said:

I’m trying to disassemble some 9 mm, and some Smith & Wesson 40, cartridges loaded with coated bullets. Specifically Blue bullets. I’m using an RCBS bullet puller,  which works great on copper plated, etc. rounds but slips off the coated bullets. Anyone have a solution?

I’m trying to avoid using an impact puller, that hammer thing, whatever one calls it. 

Odd,

I can pull both jacketed and coated bullets with ease on my Hornady.

Very similar to the RCBS.

I have used many brands of bullets, no problem.

My Hornady will not pull truncated bullets.

The hammer type are ok for a few bullets but to do a lot is a real pain.

Very messy, very loud and slow in my opinion.

Takes me a average of 7 seconds to pull and separate powder, case and bullet

with the Hornady.

Try to fuss with the collet adjustment. I had to with mine to get it to work correctly.

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I tried the Hornady puller, but it did no better. Purchased one of the Franklin pile drivers which is a pretty good idea though not particularly durable. I’ve been going through many years worth of problematic rounds, and have taken apart two or 300… Including from that moment, when I ran 50 to 60 rounds with no primers in the tube. Very embarrassing. I’ve had to do some jury rigging and replace one $15 part. The small cartridge insert works with nine and 40. To do 45 you have to get the large insert. I wouldn’t bother using it with rifle rounds. Stick with the RCBS unit. for handgun rounds go with Franklin. your shoulder will thank you. And your elbow.

Edited by midatlantic

On 12/4/2023 at 5:55 PM, Farmer said:

Included with the hammer is a 3 piece aluminum collet that grabs the case by the extractor groove. My original one had a garter spring holding the 3 pieces together and was a pain in the ass because it kept falling apart. I just use either a Lee flat shell holder or any other brand to hold the case in the hammer. Makes changes way faster BUT if you have a loose shell holder and a really tight bullet it can booger up the rim a bit. 

IMG_3802.jpeg

This is a great idea 

I run rcbs as well. If you take out the deprimer from the size and deprime die and run the bullet through it most of the time the bullet just slips right out. If it doesn’t it just makes it easier for the bullet puller

1 hour ago, Squirrel45 said:

This is a great idea 

Thanks, It’s much quicker and Redding shell holders seem to be the tightest if you have some tough ones.