Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

par time how to work with it?

Fixed time doesn't have FTSA penalties.   Misses aren't penalized either, so decide if you want to get as many A's as you can or try to blast everything hair-on-fire style (note there are extra-shot and extra-hit penalties, so you need to stick with 2-per target)

Normally a good FT stage is tuned so it's extremely difficult to get all the alphas in the available time.  If you can get to enough more targets to make up for wilder shots, then it can be worth putting the hammer down.

23 hours ago, davsco said:

i'd try to not skip anything, those will get failure to engage penalties which are normally pretty painful.  at least give every target a shot but don't go to war on anything.

22 hours ago, shred said:

Fixed time doesn't have FTSA penalties.

The OP did not specify exactly so that would help answer the question.  This is completely up to the rule set used, and if the Match Director wrote rules that differ then the rule set into the Written stage brief.  I have seen it done both ways at a variety of matches.  We had a Fixed Time stage where there were not penalties from not engaging targets but penalties for misses.  It was also scored as Hit Factor scoring, so I gamed the stage to figure out what was an acceptable HF for that stage and only shot that number of targets that were required to reach that HF.  I think I finished somewhere between 3rd to 5th on that stage.  Needless to say the next week on a similar stage there were penalties involved for misses and gunshot targets.  

On 11/26/2023 at 5:50 PM, JoeInTucson said:

If it is unlikely that you can finish in the assigned time, how do you game this?

You need to completely understand the rule set and how the written stage brief is written to be able to game it.  This also means having some crud understanding of what a possible HF for that stage would be if there is a HF, or an acceptable number of targets is to be competitive if HF scoring is not involved.  

On 11/26/2023 at 7:43 PM, davsco said:

i'd try to not skip anything, those will get failure to engage penalties which are normally pretty painful.  at least give every target a shot but don't go to war on anything.

+1. One shot at everything..  Some will shoot for the points but as time runs out they will fire one shot at the remaining targets..

I knew two women 3gunners at RM3G.  Their advice was three shots then move on.  The tenacity of wanting the hit can work against you in a timed event.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Count the number of targets (paper or otherwise), par time by count of targets. That's the maximum amount of time you can spend on each target, not including movement.

OR, count arrays and the amount of time you need to get to the next array. Subtract dwell time (time to next target array) from par time, then divide by array count. This is the maximum amount of time you can spend at each array.

Now decide which array or which receives more attention if you can't run the the COF in par time.

• 2 weeks later...

If your worrying about timing out on par times.......don't worry.

Just make a plan, as you normally would, and shoot it to your plan. As you get better, par times will be inconsiquential.