Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Prodigy 5” Shootability

GunBugBit

I’ll add to this after I’ve settled on my competition reload recipe for this gun and after a couple of matches with it, but I have enough trigger time now to give my impressions.

Of course we all factor in that this gun has a vanilla unlightened slide and a spartan polymer grip.  Understanding that, I’m pleasantly surprised with the comfort and adequate grippiness.

I imagine I’d notice the relative sluggishness reported by those who compare the 5” to the 4.25” if I also had a 4.25”.  But I see nothing holding me back from adequate split times that will allow scoring well.

Having a hand size on the large side of medium, I like how I can lock in quite well with the magwell squeezing up on my hand as I bear down.

With the wider EGW thumb safety and ledge style slide stop, the ergonomics and ease of operation are very good.  Even the slim factory thumb safety would work for me, but I’m used to the wider EGW.  I do need an extended mag catch button because the factory one is too short to facilitate competition-speed reloads, unless an individual has longer than average thumbs.

The trigger is heavy from the factory, not competition-friendly, so I’ll be putting more time into getting that right.

The overall experience is soft shooting and comfort, important for a gun that you’ll shoot a lot.

8 hours ago, GunBugBit said:

I’ll add to this after I’ve settled on my competition reload recipe for this gun and after a couple of matches with it, but I have enough trigger time now to give my impressions.

Of course we all factor in that this gun has a vanilla unlightened slide and a spartan polymer grip.  Understanding that, I’m pleasantly surprised with the comfort and adequate grippiness.

I imagine I’d notice the relative sluggishness reported by those who compare the 5” to the 4.25” if I also had a 4.25”.  But I see nothing holding me back from adequate split times that will allow scoring well.

Having a hand size on the large side of medium, I like how I can lock in quite well with the magwell squeezing up on my hand as I bear down.

With the wider EGW thumb safety and ledge style slide stop, the ergonomics and ease of operation are very good.  Even the slim factory thumb safety would work for me, but I’m used to the wider EGW.  I do need an extended mag catch button because the factory one is too short to facilitate competition-speed reloads, unless an individual has longer than average thumbs.

The trigger is heavy from the factory, not competition-friendly, so I’ll be putting more time into getting that right.

The overall experience is soft shooting and comfort, important for a gun that you’ll shoot a lot.

I agree. The basics seem to be there as far as accuracy goes.

I am following a somewhat similar path but not as in depth as yours....I will have to change out the mag release for sure and I switched the thumb safety to a Double Tap single sided shielded. I don't like ambis and even if I did I thought the stock ambi was very wishy/washy. So far I really like the Double Tap.

I noticed in your other thread you were looking at the Fusion mag release and I'm looking forward to hearing how that goes as I definitely want to change that also.

This will be an entry to USPSA LO as well as IDPA CO. For IDPA CO I would also like an extended slide stop. I see that Fusion has one of those as well as Tri Arc.

Edited by ddc

• 6 months later...

I’ve shot a few matches with the Prodigy since I last posted.  I’ve been happy with it due to the reliability and decent feel.  It took me a few range trips to fine-tune my load and recoil spring weight, and now everything feels right.  With tuning considerations out of the way, now I’m focused on being accurate at speed.  Some good things have been happening in that regard.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2024 at 11:11 AM, GunBugBit said:

I’ve shot a few matches with the Prodigy since I last posted.  I’ve been happy with it due to the reliability and decent feel.  It took me a few range trips to fine-tune my load and recoil spring weight, and now everything feels right.  With tuning considerations out of the way, now I’m focused on being accurate at speed.  Some good things have been happening in that regard.

What load and spring weight are you using?