Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does anybody understand the holster space to hip regulations?

IHAVEGAS

Was at a major last week & the legality of a shooters holster was challenged because it had about a 1" spacer (by my scientifically calibrated eyeball) and is not what many would think of as 'suitable for concealed carry'. 

The shooter paid the $100 for arbitration and won, and got his $100 back.  

I am now entirely confused. If we can space the holsters away from the hip like we do for USPSA I want that advantage also. Does anyone understand the correct way to determine whether or not a holster fits IDPA regulations in regards to "suitable for all day concealed carry"? 

Ref:

8.5.1.1  Must be suitable for all day concealed carry or duty style holsters and worn on each stage regardless of the start position.

2 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

The RHT dropped and offset is a no go according to our local AC or whatever his title is.  I've gone back to a race holster for USPSA, but for IDPA with a cover garment, I'm not sure it's worth the trouble to chase the holster advantage.

I tried my USPSA holster for the hell of it and it was hard to clear cover garment with that set up.

14 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

I've gone back to a race holster for USPSA, but for IDPA with a cover garment, I'm not sure it's worth the trouble to chase the holster advantage.

I don’t know that it is a thing that would ever show up in my score, but I do like to get ocd and tweak things just so, and it would just be nice to have a clear understanding of what is legal. 

1 hour ago, IHAVEGAS said:

I don’t know that it is a thing that would ever show up in my score, but I do like to get ocd and tweak things just so, and it would just be nice to have a clear understanding of what is legal. 

IDPA has never had clear rules with a national standard... It has always been a match by match determination on pretty much everything.  Just the way it is. 
In this case we see a shooter, a SO,  higher match staff, you, Rangers AC, and members of an arbitration committee all looking at the same rule and coming up with different answers..

as you mentioned though.. The vast majority of these things dont matter on the score. 

21 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Ref:

8.5.1.1  Must be suitable for all day concealed carry or duty style holsters and worn on each stage regardless of the start position.

IDPA don't abide by their own rules or founding concepts, I did see that they change the concepts a few years ago.

They haven't written a rulebook that makes sense, they keep changing it, plus they are using writers that haven' a clue how to write a rulebook.  

You get what you pay for.

AFAIC it's all about money.

2 hours ago, ddc said:

I didn't realize they'd removed the 3/4" dowel rule for distance from belt.

I agree that there is so much subjectivity in the rules it's ridiculous.

There has been since the Tiger Teams and it has gotten worse.

1 hour ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Maybe I could just use what I want but tell the equipment check guy that my holster self identifies as being good for concealed carry? 

I just about fell over when I saw this.

Too funny!

• 2 months later...

i made 1/2" spacers and a thigh pad for my IDPA holsters and I've made it through equipment check at 2 Level IV matches. They questioned it and got the MD involved but he said it was good to go. 

This is the 2024 update:

8.5.1.6 Outside the waist holsters must carry the firearm in a neutral (vertical) or muzzle rear cant and may not protrude more than 3" (7.62cm) out from the shooter's body as measured from the front of the holster. The rear or vertical cant angle be no more than 15 degrees.

I haven't seen it put into practice at a major yet so I don't know if they're measuring at the beltline or whatever part of your body is closest. To phrase it differently - my tactical chub means I could probably run a drop offset but I'm not going to risk it. I actually had to take all of my holsters off of QLS forks as they all started to push the 3" limit.

Edited by matteekay

I'm a little curious about how they are going to determine the 3" as "measured from the front of the holster".

Furthermore what does "front of the holster" really mean?

I asked a couple of shooters at a practice match yesterday and got a different answer from everybody.

14 minutes ago, matteekay said:

This is the 2024 update:

8.5.1.6 Outside the waist holsters must carry the firearm in a neutral (vertical) or muzzle rear cant and may not protrude more than 3" (7.62cm) out from the shooter's body as measured from the front of the holster. The rear or vertical cant angle be no more than 15 degrees.

I haven't seen it put into practice at a major yet so I don't know if they're measuring at the beltline or whatever part of your body is closest. To phrase it differently - my tactical chub means I could probably run a drop offset but I'm not going to risk it. I actually had to take all of my holsters off of QLS forks as they all started to push the 3" limit.

image.png.ee9e897ecf91acd802ebe16c9882e49d.png

4 minutes ago, dtuns said:

That picture is from the rule book.

Sure, but that looks like a measurement taken from the inner edge of the belt and not necessarily from the shooter's body.

Which is fine, but as always... if that's what they wanted then they could have just said that.

23 hours ago, matteekay said:

Sure, but that looks like a measurement taken from the inner edge of the belt and not necessarily from the shooter's body.

Which is fine, but as always... if that's what they wanted then they could have just said that.

A well written rulebook would cure all/most of their issues.

1 hour ago, RePete said:

A well written rulebook would cure all/most of their issues.

And putting in a bit of thought on the rule concepts. As written above "my tactical chub means I could probably run a drop offset" , so now we have different holster requirements based on sex and appetite discipline. 

11 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Something you never hear while standing in line at the salad bar :) . 

It was a joke, but boy, I bet you're a hoot at parties. Salad bar parties, evidently...?

2 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

I had intended for my comment to be taken as a joke as well, I had assumed you were kidding 

Ah! In that case, pass the butter and let's get this party started.