Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 in LO

jtrump

Guys,    I've looked around and read some posts about the rules and I'm not 100% confident.

I'm hopping back into uspsa and I want to shoot LO,   I left the game shooting single stack/production.        I was looking at a few different pistols, and I would really like to shoot a shadow 2;   "I know there is a SA only model but it's like a damn ghost"   

So my question is,  can you run a regular shadow 2 in LO so you essentially don't have to do the DA pull?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, jtrump said:

Guys,    I've looked around and read some posts about the rules and I'm not 100% confident.

I'm hopping back into uspsa and I want to shoot LO,   I left the game shooting single stack/production.        I was looking at a few different pistols, and I would really like to shoot a shadow 2;   "I know there is a SA only model but it's like a damn ghost"   

So my question is,  can you run a regular shadow 2 in LO so you essentially don't have to do the DA pull?

Of course, just use the safety when you holster. Or you can drop the hammer and have first shot be DA and still shoot LO.

Edited by ColoradoNick

2 minutes ago, ColoradoNick said:

Of course, just use the safety when you holster. Or you can drop the hammer and have first shot be DA and still shoot LO.

Ok;   Just making sure.   I was just reading a post about specific rules, and an RO making people start hammer down:  Maybe he didn't know the rules completely.

The biggest thing for me with the DA pull on the shadow 2,  I have small hands,  reaching the trigger in DA it's hard for me to get enough pad on the trigger.

The other unicorn in the room is finding a dang optic mounting plate for an SRO..   they seem to be non existent.

Thank you all for the replies.

Just now, jtrump said:

Ok;   Just making sure.   I was just reading a post about specific rules, and an RO making people start hammer down:  Maybe he didn't know the rules completely.

The biggest thing for me with the DA pull on the shadow 2,  I have small hands,  reaching the trigger in DA it's hard for me to get enough pad on the trigger.

The other unicorn in the room is finding a dang optic mounting plate for an SRO..   they seem to be non existent.

Thank you all for the replies.

No worries at all have you ever tried one with a reach reduction kit and flat trigger?

Just now, ColoradoNick said:

No worries at all have you ever tried one with a reach reduction kit and flat trigger?

I just learned about the reach reduction kit today,   I'm super unfamiliar with CZ pistols;   I don't know how I feel about taking anything apart lol.    That's what interests me so much about like the TS pistols,  but none of them are optic ready and it really sucks or I would go that route.

1 hour ago, jtrump said:

I just learned about the reach reduction kit today,   I'm super unfamiliar with CZ pistols;   I don't know how I feel about taking anything apart lol.    That's what interests me so much about like the TS pistols,  but none of them are optic ready and it really sucks or I would go that route.

You can also have them milled for any optic you like which IMO is better than a plate- lower on slide, less screws to come loose. Cost is about $135 and 2 weeks. Cruise youtube, the CZ platform is pretty easy to work on once you figure it out.

Look for an Optic Ready Shadow 2. You'll then need to get the proper plate for the optic you want. They used to come with the wide paddle ambi safeties  in the box, but I don't think they do that anymore. Or, if you get the regular Shadow 2, EGW has a plate that replaces the rear sight in the dovetail. In either case, you can start cocked and locked with any pistol in LO.

I had my Shadow 2's milled for direct mount of the SRO. Love them.

Edited by OPENB

1 minute ago, OPENB said:

...They used to come with the wide paddle ambi safeties  in the box, but I don't think they do that anymore....

Oh wow I didn't realize that, mine is a few years old and came with both safties.  Which one comes standard now do you know?  (Patiently waiting on mine to have the optic cut completed...)

I think the newest ones have the flat safties installed. I know there is always someone looking for the wide paddle safties on the classified. I had to order the model with wide paddles on both sides since I'm left handed. Got them from Eric Graffuel in France in less than a week.

47 minutes ago, fbzero said:

Stick to DA and start in SA with safety on.  Second strike will save you at some point.

The standard S2 OR is what I would go with but I disagree with the second strike being a factor. Proper knowledge of the fire control system and appropriate hammer spring, firing pin and firing pin spring selection for the intended primer would be a more useful discussion. 

I do agree on ignoring the SAO model. It's a 1 trick pony IMO. The regular S2 Optic model works extremely well in Production, Carry Optics and Limited Optics when configured with the appropriate sight and start position for the division. 

7 hours ago, jtrump said:

Yes you can run a S2 in LO. You do not have to use the DA pull. I started the entire Nationals match in SA with the safety on. That really helped on all those pesky long shots at the start of stages 😅

Shadow 2 is a good platform for LO

can do it as SA only using a SA model or converting a DA/SA into SA only.

or keep as DA/SA and shoot it like a carry optic gun , or start in SA model with hammer back and thumbsafety on.

add magwell, and set up for optic. 

Kept DA/SA, add magwell to Shadow 2 Optic Ready model.

small91251Shadow2ORLimitedOptics_DSC5971.thumb.jpg.3e0840f202b4e6d2cf3e8758f15a8a3b.jpg

11 hours ago, eerw said:

or keep as DA/SA and shoot it like a carry optic gun , or start in SA model with hammer back and thumbsafety on.

small91251Shadow2ORLimitedOptics_DSC5971.thumb.jpg.3e0840f202b4e6d2cf3e8758f15a8a3b.jpg

What mag extensions are you using with the CZC mag well? What tubes, springs, and followers, and what capacity do you get? Thanks.

12 hours ago, eerw said:

That's a great looking Pistol you have there sir.   Pretty much would want to run this exact same setup.

1 hour ago, jtrump said:

So,   I can't find an optic mounting plate anywhere for the shadow2 for RMR/SRO footprint..  ...

I assume you mean you cannot find it in stock rather than cannot find any?  Just research some quality options and either check those sites for restock or see if there is any notify on restock options.

16 minutes ago, EvilNuff said:

I assume you mean you cannot find it in stock rather than cannot find any?  Just research some quality options and either check those sites for restock or see if there is any notify on restock options.

Sigh..   Literally Larry over here..

Yes, they can be found online;  if I go sit in a safe area long enough one might end up there also..

The fact that they are sold out everywhere,  except a few stores in Canada that Won't ship to the US,  yea id say that means they are pretty non existent at the moment.    CZ also says no eta.

45 minutes ago, jtrump said:

Sigh..   Literally Larry over here...

No need to be rude to someone trying to help you.  You weren't clear in your question so I was trying to help considering I literally just bought that a month ago.  I was able to find a plate in stock today with just a small amount of googling so its a very legitimate question.

18 hours ago, Darqusoull13 said:

The standard S2 OR is what I would go with but I disagree with the second strike being a factor. Proper knowledge of the fire control system and appropriate hammer spring, firing pin and firing pin spring selection for the intended primer would be a more useful discussion. 

No amount of knowledge on the fire control system will overcome a high primer that got through case gauging, but second strike capability will.  It's a rare occurrence, to be sure, but disabling DA for SAO pretty much gains you nothing.

15 hours ago, eerw said:

I’m not sure if I appreciate the magwell or photography more. Bravo 🙌 

47 minutes ago, fbzero said:

No amount of knowledge on the fire control system will overcome a high primer that got through case gauging, but second strike capability will.  It's a rare occurrence, to be sure, but disabling DA for SAO pretty much gains you nothing.

Bad reloads are not a reason to have a feature on a competition pistol. 

2 hours ago, EvilNuff said:

No need to be rude to someone trying to help you.  You weren't clear in your question so I was trying to help considering I literally just bought that a month ago.  I was able to find a plate in stock today with just a small amount of googling so its a very legitimate question.

They are just words bud;   you knew what you were doing.   Don't try to be slick with words :),  helping would have been like hey here's the link to some in stock "that you said you found"

I did an extensive amount of googling and I found none outside of the ones in Canada that won't ship to the U.S.