Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 Major - Everglades recipe?

fpf

Hi all,  

i just picked up a Masterpiece arms open gun and after some chrono work yesterday, noticed my reloads were no longer making PF. I’m guessing the popples in this gun are the cause. However, my diminishing stock of Everglades factory 9 major are still clocking in at 172 PF in this gun.

I’ve been successfully reloading 9 major with VVN320 but am now forced to switch powders because of case capacity and the aforementioned popples.  

So first question:  Does anyone know what kind of powder those sweet Everglades loads use?  I took a couple of them apart last night and the measured powder weight was a consistent 6.9 grains but I don’t recognize the powder.

2nd question:  Can you guys share your experiences regarding a suitable replacement for my VVN320 for major?  True Blue, Silhouette experiences would be especially welcome. 

Thanks in advance everyone

Edited by fpf

Everglades load may be with a powder that is unavailable retail.  Years ago Atlanta Arms did a 9 major load.  Absolutely the most consistent 9 major load I've shot.  Soft, plenty of gas, loaded short enough for a Glock and 172pf in everything I tried.   The powder turned out to be Win 248? (not sure that's correct)  which you could buy bulk but not retail.

Lot's of powders out there that work for 9 major.  I keep coming back to HS-6.  N320 is definitely NOT on the list--really hope that's a typo.

1 hour ago, Braxton1 said:

N320 in 9Major????  I hope this is a typo.  The pressure curve for this load would be quite steep, given that 320 is their second-fastest burning Pistol powder....

Closest thing I remember to that is a guy around here shot N340 in 9MAJOR with OK results

My concern with AA7 is barrel erosion.  I have seen low-mileage barrels that looked HORRIBLE from AA7.  Back in the 80s when powder choices were a bit limited, I used Win 540.  My barrel looked brand new a few years later.  My buddy used 7 and his looked like it'd had sandpaper shot thru it....

On 10/16/2023 at 9:57 AM, PhotoRecon said:

I've heard of OBP 248 made by St. Marks...supposedly similar to Auto Comp...

On 10/16/2023 at 11:26 AM, HesedTech said:

There isn't a "248" listed these days and 244 is too fast for major. There is 748 a really good rifle standard. 

FWIW, there's powders available to big commercial loaders that don't come in retail bottles -- the maker doesn't think it'll sell enough or they don't want to mess with making sure every lot matches every other lot for the rest of time or its a batch that was intended to be a retail powders but out of spec somehow, etc.

With big commercial loaders they can get a traincar full of 'W345' and it's not that big a deal if it's a little different from the last batch, as they work up loads every time.  "Bullseye-86" was like that for a long time before it got consumerized.  I used to get H108 from Powder Valley back in the day that was never a retail powder.