Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rules Discussion: Holstered handgun while shooting Rimfire Pistol (8.1.8)

bigdawgbeav

2 hours ago, warpspeed said:

See, now that's where you might be wrong.

Option # 1 from @ZackJones post above reads  "No holstered guns for any division for any stage." which to me indicates that when you walk to the box, you best not have your handgun in a holster on your belt.

I’m a noob but when I read #1 that’s exactly what I thought. I can see this whole situation turning into a total Cluster **** . Just sitting back reading this the first thing I thought was, if shooting RF first, you have to bag it when you’re done. So if your CF is sitting there next up, what’s the big deal with un-bagging it to get ready once you bagged your RF?  Just a thought. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally think we should get rid of 8.1.8 and not worry about it at all.  Add no new rules. Remove 8.1.8, because it is stupid and unnecessary.

Literally, before this point in time, we've had many, many people shooting their low-ready-start divisions while having a holstered centerfire pistol at the same time.  Have we had issues?  No, not really.

The people who do that are smart enough to holster for the one stage with movement (OL), and having a holstered pistol on the rest makes absolutely no difference at all, and is unsafe in no fashion whatsoever.

If they DON'T bag their centerfire gun on Outer Limits---yes, there is the chance that it might come out of the holster.  And they get DQed.  And that's on them.  Let's be clear---the cleared, empty, hammer-down firearm in their holster falls out while they are shooting a different firearm. There's a DQ.  And then they won't do it again.  What's the problem?

There's literally no need to any rule about this in the first place, because there is no need for people to be required to bag a centerfire handgun while shooting a low-ready-start firearm.

Forcing people to bag is just going to be annoying to absolutely everyone.  And take more time.  (And before people say "it won't take much time" remember that this is ALSO the set of people who are down on rifles because it "takes so much longer for people to bag them.")

There's no need.  No to mention that we can ALREADY see that people will be having problems with whatever wording the new rule will have.

• 2 months later...

unless I heard wrong during last night’s live streamed BOD meeting, the rules will be clarified to allow low ready pistol to be shot with a holstered pistol.  To be treated the same as a long gun.

Dropped gun…..on the shooter.