Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Has anyone here safely wired the target turrets on a rifle scope to stop unwanted rotation?

5 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

One has to ask if you feel you have to come up with this solution to prevent Turrets from moving are you using the proper tool for the job?

That was my second thought. I haven't seen a scope that I'd want to beat on that didn't come with locking or capped turrets.

Its a PRS gas gun. The scope has target turrets and (of course) I make frequent elevation adjustments, but I do not make windage adjustments. At a match this weekend, the windage turret had gotten moved a couple of clicks while in the rifle case and I didn't catch it - caused problems on a 1MOA KYL plate. I want to secure the windage turret to avoid a recurrence. I'd rather not buy a new scope, and Loctite seems a bit drastic 🤣

Many moons ago I had a scope with huge uncapped turrets. The darn things seemed to turn on their own. Lol I took a piece of bicycle inner tube about 2" wide, cut a hole just the right size for the elevation turret to stick threw and it covered the other turrets. It required un-mounting the scope, but that's not a big deal. to get to the other turrets you could just peel it back, make an adjustment and re position it. easy to peek under to be sure you didn't move one, the pressure from the tubing makes it pretty much impossible to bump one out of position. Worked for me.

On 7/19/2023 at 11:16 AM, StealthyBlagga said:

Its a PRS gas gun. The scope has target turrets and (of course) I make frequent elevation adjustments, but I do not make windage adjustments. At a match this weekend, the windage turret had gotten moved a couple of clicks while in the rifle case and I didn't catch it - caused problems on a 1MOA KYL plate. I want to secure the windage turret to avoid a recurrence. I'd rather not buy a new scope, and Loctite seems a bit drastic 🤣

Wouldn't it be easier to make it a habit of double checking your turrets before you are on the line?

Edited by DocMedic

4 hours ago, DocMedic said:

Wouldn't it be easier to make it a habit of double checking your turrets before you are on the line?

That's my current solution, but fixing the hardware deficiency would mean I have one less thing to think about in what is already a lots-to-think-about situation.

I have seen turrets safety wired before, so this is not an unthinkable solution.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

• 3 weeks later...