Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Czechmate in open/minor

borneoknives

hey all. If this is the wrong forum let me know and i'll bounce it over to the USPSA gang.

Locally there are two brand new czechmates for sale for very good prices (~$2000).
so i could feasibly get both for less than what a standard open 2011 costs.
I have a lot of history with sp01s and shadow 2 so I have a general idea of what i'm getting into with parts etc.

my question is how viable is the Czechmate as a MINOR open gun?
I don't reload so 9mm major isn't going to happen.
They both come with a non-comped slide, so cycling with minor PF ammo won't be an issue.
I know "big sticks" are an issue, but i think MBX has solved that.

the 2011 guys can't want to say enough bad things about the czechmate vs their super gucci pistol, thus me asking here instead of the open gamer forum.

thoughts? warnings?

The Czechmate will suit you well for this task. It’s a great entry level option for even open major… the platform shortcomings won’t be noticed until you’re approaching the very top of competition. 

They’re prone to muzzle dip with the heavy steel comp on there. I’ve been shooting mine with the front sight block as a limited optics gun for a few weeks now. 

The MBX mags are PHENOMENAL. A much better option than factory mags + extension + tuning. 

I have limited time shooting minor through mine, but my experience was that they ran minor very well and the mag feeding issues that were present with long 9 Major didn't seem to effect the short 9 minor ammo I had running round nose bullets. They are nose heavy guns but you can do some recoil spring tuning to reduce the impact of that. 

13 minutes ago, Guitarmageddon said:

You dont reload, so you think you are confined to minor PF? You can buy factory Major PF ammo too though, if you didnt already know.

This is also true. The Czechmate works with almost any of it… since it ain’t got popples 

Yes you can run minor with the comp, although I would recommend dropping the spring rate a few pounds and stick with 115s or 124s. Tune the factory mags, or send them off to Grams and get them done, or buy the MBXs. After that, load mags, shoot, rinse, repeat.

Wow, those are great prices. I'd grab one to go with my 2019 version.

Cz states the Czechmate has been discontinued. Rumor has it the new version comes out next year and some claim they have seen and shot it.

12 hours ago, borneoknives said:

hey all. If this is the wrong forum let me know and i'll bounce it over to the USPSA gang.

Locally there are two brand new czechmates for sale for very good prices (~$2000).
so i could feasibly get both for less than what a standard open 2011 costs.
I have a lot of history with sp01s and shadow 2 so I have a general idea of what i'm getting into with parts etc.

my question is how viable is the Czechmate as a MINOR open gun?
I don't reload so 9mm major isn't going to happen.
They both come with a non-comped slide, so cycling with minor PF ammo won't be an issue.
I know "big sticks" are an issue, but i think MBX has solved that.

the 2011 guys can't want to say enough bad things about the czechmate vs their super gucci pistol, thus me asking here instead of the open gamer forum.

thoughts? warnings?

The CM runs minor ammo fine. LO is a better alternative if you're stuck with minor.

14 minutes ago, 858 said:

The CM runs minor ammo fine. LO is a better alternative if you're stuck with minor.

Definitely more competitive. The EGW dovetail mount isn’t ideal… but it’s lower than the frame mounted optic (but higher than direct mill for sure). 

IMG_1127.thumb.jpeg.c5f0f7d10cbde70ef7df18e0e8f2b15d.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Dirty_J said:

Definitely more competitive. The EGW dovetail mount isn’t ideal… but it’s lower than the frame mounted optic (but higher than direct mill for sure). 

IMG_1127.thumb.jpeg.c5f0f7d10cbde70ef7df18e0e8f2b15d.jpeg

I wonder if the Toni System mount would be lower? I can't tell from the pictures.

https://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/Optics-Mounts/Mounts-Plates/Doctor-Viper-Venom-Burris-FF2FF3/TONI-SYSTEM-Red-dot-dovetail-base-plate-type-B-for-CZ-Tactical-Sport

When I picked up a brand new CM, I replaced the recoil spring in the shop with something lighter before it could cycle 115gr FMJ. After that it was flawless. Just busted a slide stop every 10K rounds or so.

Lior...I haven't had a slide stop break yet but have been replacing them every 3000. Factory stops are not available so been crafting my own.

I assume when the pin broke it didn't do any damage?

FYI the CZ design is set up to sacrifice the slide stops as a wear item.  That is much cheaper and easier than a new barrel.  A lot of people have a new one for matches and then the practice stop for all else.  Since the Factory parts are hard to get due to parts being imported companies like CZ Custom are now making their own slide stops so they are more available than in the past.

On 7/4/2023 at 9:55 PM, 858 said:

It’s actually a little higher and doesn’t fit the Holosun mount without making an adapter which then makes it taller. 

I have a Czechmate in classifieds as well (self bump) -- But I've not had an issue cycling minor. It was a little iffy with the factory spring configuration, but reducing it to help solve the muzzle heavy issue (as regor mentioned) led to more consistent cycling with minor as well. I think I dropped to a 11# spring if I remember correctly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...