Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Challenge Target Stand/Hanger Recommendations

JasonS

Looking for a recommendation for steel challenge target stands and hangers.  This would be my personal set, so looking for a free-standing base, and it would be nice if it was easily transportable. 

Thanks!

9 hours ago, JasonS said:

Looking for a recommendation for steel challenge target stands and hangers.  This would be my personal set, so looking for a free-standing base, and it would be nice if it was easily transportable. 

Thanks!

Reach out to Karl from GT Targets in PA.

Karl makes great stuff.  He does make a folding stand, but it cannot be used with heavy plates.  I have some.  8" and 10" plates work fine as long as you staked the stand.  12s are okay if you staked into hard ground.  If soft, it's iffy.

His H-bases are great.  They stack neatly and I can fit five in the small trunk of my sedan, along with everything else required to shoot..

On 7/1/2023 at 10:27 PM, JasonS said:

https://shootsteel.com

My stands/hangers are ~4 years old.  Basically look brand new.  No issues with them whatsoever, and Shoot Steel supports the shooting community.  

2 minutes ago, JasonS said:

Ended up ordering from ShootSteel.com.  Great people to work with on the procurement side and a great price, I'm excited to try out the steel when it arrives.

I also was looking at their plates. The sale makes them fairly reasonable. 

On 7/7/2023 at 8:52 PM, Squirrel45 said:

It's nice to be able to flip them. As time goes on you'll find that even 3/8" will cup a bit with factory. 

????  Not if is really AR500.  We have been using ours for 10 years with no cupping at all.  Most of the people at our Wednesday Night Steel League shoot factory.  We do not permit +P, +P+, LEO, Nato or full power 40sw and above on steel.  Maybe that's why.  We also have a 1400fps velocity limit.

On staking….

I have used plain ol’ lag screws meant for wood projects and a socket adapter chucked into a cordless drill to fasten target stands to an outside range’s “floor”.

Of course your milage may vary depending on soil conditions at your range.

I don’t know how much activity is going on now at the pistol berms at the World Shooting Complex (WSRC), but they use some sort of landscaping timber screw to “bolt” the partitions / walls to the range floor for USPSA matches..

as a side note, 10 plus years ago, I dabbled in making swingers and drop turners that were supposed to fold down and fit in a car’s trunk:

76F6098C-A748-4846-AF52-3EABC6183FFF.thumb.jpeg.257ae9f3a215bc6dfd402225f6752262.jpeg

For a steel challenge type target, if you have the room (a pick up truck bed or a big trunk), I think steel bases shaped like the letter H and wooden 2X4 uprights is the way to go.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/9/2023 at 11:02 AM, Chills1994 said:

On staking….

I have used plain ol’ lag screws meant for wood projects and a socket adapter chucked into a cordless drill to fasten target stands to an outside range’s “floor”.

Of course your milage may vary depending on soil conditions at your range.

I don’t know how much activity is going on now at the pistol berms at the World Shooting Complex (WSRC), but they use some sort of landscaping timber screw to “bolt” the partitions / walls to the range floor for USPSA matches..

as a side note, 10 plus years ago, I dabbled in making swingers and drop turners that were supposed to fold down and fit in a car’s trunk:

76F6098C-A748-4846-AF52-3EABC6183FFF.thumb.jpeg.257ae9f3a215bc6dfd402225f6752262.jpeg

For a steel challenge type target, if you have the room (a pick up truck bed or a big trunk), I think steel bases shaped like the letter H and wooden 2X4 uprights is the way to go.

On your swingers, does the counterbalance have adjustable weight in it, like lead shot, gravel ect? I thought it might be fun to put a 10” or 12” round on a swinger, could even make it more interesting by letting it swing loose on the arm too. 

Edited by Farmer

On 8/1/2023 at 12:36 AM, Farmer said:

On your swingers, does the counterbalance have adjustable weight in it, like lead shot, gravel ect? I thought it might be fun to put a 10” or 12” round on a swinger, could even make it more interesting by letting it swing loose on the arm too. 

No.

my thoughts are you are trading PE for KE:

PE=KE

mgh = 1/2 [m X (v X v)]

the masses cancel each other out.

so it is just

gh = 1/2 (v X v)