Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm sizing die opening

Squirrel45

Quick question, what sizing die brand has the largest opening, RC Lyman, Dillon? Im using a Lee die that seems to hit the rim quite a bit. I don't have this issue with my 38s on the same press. 

Thanks

Squirrel 

5 hours ago, Squirrel45 said:

Quick question, what sizing die brand has the largest opening, RC Lyman, Dillon? Im using a Lee die that seems to hit the rim quite a bit. I don't have this issue with my 38s on the same press. 

Thanks

Squirrel 

Do you mean a large tapered opening so the mouth of the case starts easily?

Have a 550 as well. Had to play w wire spring position so case is trapped w slight pressure, yet shell plate cane rotate without interference from spring. Shell plate can be the cause, if it has play

Fine balance in adjusting the center pivot bolt. Went w an aftermarket roller bearing washer, but that is overkill.

3 hours ago, mpom said:

Have a 550 as well. Had to play w wire spring position so case is trapped w slight pressure, yet shell plate cane rotate without interference from spring. Shell plate can be the cause, if it has play

Fine balance in adjusting the center pivot bolt. Went w an aftermarket roller bearing washer, but that is overkill.

Are you using Dillon or other dies ?

Dillon dies have the largest taper and radius  in order to best work with a progressive press. Thus, if your brass to die alignment isn’t perfect the case should still enter the mouth of the die with little issue. 

Down side is the the die doesn’t do as much work as far down the case as some other brands. 

This is especially troublesome with mixed 9MM brass as 9MM brass tends to have the most variation across brands.

15 years ago when I started with my first 550 I was using Dillon dies and was having all kinds of issues with my loaded 9MM.

Part of it was me learning, but a big part was the Dillon dies just not sizing the brass down enough.

Lee U dies fixed all that.

If you sort brass it’s likely not an issue, or the issue can be greatly minimized. 

I do not sort brass.

So, the round about answer is, you need to figure out what you process is going to be and what you priorities are when choosing dies. 

That’s the problem, you either get good feeding with less sizing or the opposite. I noticed RCBS has a bit different angle on theirs VS Lee (more rounded), not sure about Hornaday as I only have rifle dies of those. Here’s an early RCBS carbide that’s a real “honey” to use, but it sizes to the shell plate. 
IMG_3389.thumb.jpeg.95d739f4b0f0c45dc2f1e76ccfc10da5.jpeg

CLean under shell plate, then tighten it up so the set ball clicks in with authority, then adust spring on the tray, also its in your brass loading technique, just have to push it in all the way.
I mainly use Lee and RCBS dies, had same issues as above with Dillon dies.

Another trick to try is to slightly loosen the lock ring of the sizing/decapping die so that there is just a little play.

Then raise the shell plate so that all positions are engaged.

Then tighten the lock ring of the sizing/decapping die.

Your problem is the combination of a 550 and a casefeeder. There is nothing to hold the case bottom once it is in place for sizing. The solution is to :

• trade up your 550 for a 650 and transfer the case feeder across.
  • use the Dillon sizing die as it has the largest taper that I have found.
  • invest in a rollsizer whereby all of your brass will be correctly sized, unlike using normal sizing dies.

It's odd because the case feeder has no issues with other cases, 38 short, 38spl/mag, and 45. I thought I'd give rcbs dies a try, well that was $68 wasted nearly the same issue as the Lee die. Guess it's back to running them on my SDB. Disappointing weekend 

On 6/18/2023 at 6:21 AM, Squirrel45 said:

This is on a 550C w case feeder. Even without the case feeder the Lee die will hit on occasion. 

The shell plate for 9mm is pretty loose on the 550. I tried a 223 plate with 9mm and because of the differences in head stamps of 9mm some would and some wouldn't fit.

The case pusher actually slightly pulls the case back after inserting it in the shall plate.

The 650/750 can be adjusted but the 550 (I have one with the DAA feeder) can't, so the best thing to do is manually make sure it's aligned as it rises towards the die. 

You might try the Dillon 9mm die, it is a little better because it has a tapered radius at the mouth. Or you could grind your own radius, but that is a hassle.

Edited by HesedTech

4 hours ago, HesedTech said:

The shell plate for 9mm is pretty loose on the 550. I tried a 223 plate with 9mm and because of the differences in head stamps of 9mm some would and some wouldn't fit.

The case pusher actually slightly pulls the case back after inserting it in the shall plate.

The 650/750 can be adjusted but the 550 (I have one with the DAA feeder) can't, so the best thing to do is manually make sure it's aligned as it rises towards the die. 

You might try the Dillon 9mm die, it is a little better because it has a tapered radius at the mouth. Or you could grind your own radius, but that is a hassle.

That is exactly what is happening to mine in 9mm. Other calibers no issues to bad it works pretty good for what it is. 

On 6/19/2023 at 6:01 AM, jim vaughan said:

Your problem is the combination of a 550 and a casefeeder. There is nothing to hold the case bottom once it is in place for sizing. The solution is to :

• trade up your 550 for a 650 and transfer the case feeder across.
  • use the Dillon sizing die as it has the largest taper that I have found.
  • invest in a rollsizer whereby all of your brass will be correctly sized, unlike using normal sizing dies.

I agree with this. Most of those are large investments though. I would look for dillon die and if you cant get one(not sure if they are still backordered) Mighty armory die may do the trick.

The next best thing would be getting a 650. The case feeder was an afterthought on the 550

• 4 weeks later...

I was having this issue a lot on my Dillon 750.  I looked through the forums and found this bearing from Hit Factor.  Goes between your shell plate and the locking screw to hold the shell plate in a more stable position.  I also upgraded my spring and detent ball which could have also helped, but it solved my issue 100%.

https://hitfactor.biz/products/products.html