Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Legal For Production?

Mathew

Hello and thanks for looking.

I'm interested in doing some of the following things to my Glock and I want to make sure they are legal for production before I do them.

1. Can I add a extended mag release to a G19 or G17?

2. Can I add an extended slide lock to a G19 or G17?

3. Can I modify my trigger at all? Can I drop in a trigger setup like the one from http://www.triggerkit.com?

4. Can I use 17 round magazines while shooitng a G19?

5. I know I can add grip tape to my frame, is there any limit to how much I can layer? Say if I wanted to add 3 or 4 layers to the bottom to force my hand up on the grip?

6. Are fiber optic sights legal?

7. Can I use a Plug in the bottom of the frame like this one? http://www.gunaccessories.com/GlockAccesso...aPlug/index.asp

8. What is the air speed velocity of an un-laden swallow?

Thanks!

-Mathew

Edited by Mathew

Of those that I am sure of:

#4 Yes - just be sure there are only 10 in mag at the buzzer

#6 Yes - Fiber sights are popular and legal

#7 NO

#8 24 miles an hour for a European Swallow that is

Hows that ?

Edited by bobert1

The bottom frame plug is a 'no no'...... I am also not sure why you'd want the G17 mags anyway, since you are limited to 10 rnds. in mag for production.....Fiber optic is fine, Trigger kit is fine== I'm pretty sure the rest of them will be answered by others shortly.....(except maybe the swallow one :P )

Mike

Hello and thanks for looking.

I'm interested in doing some of the following things to my Glock and I want to make sure they are legal for production before I do them.

1. Can I add a extended mag release to a G19 or G17?

2. Can I add an extended slide lock to a G19 or G17?

3. Can I modify my trigger at all? Can I drop in a trigger setup like the one from http://www.triggerkit.com?

4. Can I use 17 round magazines while shooitng a G19?

5. I know I can add grip tape to my frame, is there any limit to how much I can layer? Say if I wanted to add 3 or 4 layers to the bottom to force my hand up on the grip?

6. Are fiber optic sights legal?

7. Can I use a Plug in the bottom of the frame like this one? http://www.gunaccessories.com/GlockAccesso...aPlug/index.asp

8. What is the air speed velocity of an un-laden swallow?

Thanks!

-Mathew

From what I understand..

1. Yes..if it is the Glock part that is on the G34

2. Yes..if it is the Glock part that is on the G34

3. Yes

4. No

5. ??, never seen that one asked before.

6. Yes..as long as it keeps a notch and post configuration.

7. No..welcome to open if you do.

8. European or African??

I would say that the 17 mags are not allowed in the 19 since they, in effect, would be an extended base pad.

The grip tape, I'm also not sure on. I know under IPSC rules they were very strict about where the tape was and was not. They were also picky that it not change the shape of the grip. If you're planning to change the shape of the grip with the tape, like it sounds you're planning you're probably not legal.

I would say that the 17 mags are not allowed in the 19 since they, in effect, would be an extended base pad.

The grip tape, I'm also not sure on. I know under IPSC rules they were very strict about where the tape was and was not. They were also picky that it not change the shape of the grip. If you're planning to change the shape of the grip with the tape, like it sounds you're planning you're probably not legal.

Thanks for all the help guys. #1 is my only major concern. The others are just a bonus.

Now I just need to find a nice cheap Glock 17 Gen 1.

;)

For those of you who answered "no" to #4 (G17 mags in the G19), can you point me toward an appropriate section of the rules that prohibit it? Remember, there is no restriction in Production on magazine length....and there is nothing in the rules that requires a competitor to use OEM magazines ever. It only says "Magazines and speed loading devices must comply with the provisions

of the relevant Division." (Rule 5.5.2)

Thanks.

Jim

Edited by Navy87Guy

Jim the way you state that it sounds like i could use Glock 33 round mags or my beretta 20 round mag...

Honestly I can see your side of the idea. it's just like using a 34 mag release in a 17. However with the portrusion i can see complaints at large matches. Local i would let you run it. It doesn't really give any competitive advantage. as i have done it because i didn't havee enough 19 mags. I can't state a rule on this one, probabally because no one's asked yet :)

Grip tape and rubber Grip sleves are OK. but if you want a bigger grip, i would get a bigger gun. if the gun does not fit you now, it never will no matter how much grip tape. I also had that problem which is why i don't shoot my Glock 17 any more.

Jim the way you state that it sounds like i could use Glock 33 round mags or my beretta 20 round mag... ...

I made that point myself on the USPSA's own forum some months back.

The simple definition of US Production in the rulebook is :

8 Maximum magazine length No

9 Maximum ammunition capacity Yes, 10 rounds loaded maximum in any magazine after the start signal.

So, yes, you COULD ram a 33-round Glock 18 stick into your Glock 19 and shoot production, as long as you only loaded 10 rounds (+1 if LAMR'ing with it). Probably not what they intended, but.....

probably best to get one of the those NROI decisions and print it for your bag..since the rule is not clear..

in IPSC production..it would be specifically denied...

probably on a local level a club might let you shoot that way with the explanation you don't have enough G19 mags..

on a area or national level you may find yourself in open and spending a $100 bill in arbitration..

Items 8 and 9 of the US Production specification seem to cover it all. What other rules can we specifically point to to say you couldn't use a 17 or an 18 magazine in a 19? If they're going to toss you into open, they need to be able to point to specific controlling regs, right?

Don't believe the extended mag release and slide release are legal though.

Amidon ruled, that since Glock makes 'em available as factory options, they're legal, as long as you use the Glock manufactured parts.....

Does that mean that you can use the factory glock +2 base pads in production?

good question-I know Beretta base pads are allowed.

Nik-you're pretty good with the rules-I'm too lazy to look it up

As far as the extended mag release goes....I think the Aro-tek is the only non-OEM that looks like the OEM-and last I remember it was like 20 plus bucks in Brownells-more than twice the price of the Glock part!

Don't believe the extended mag release and slide release are legal though.

Amidon ruled, that since Glock makes 'em available as factory options, they're legal, as long as you use the Glock manufactured parts.....

Does that mean that you can use the factory glock +2 base pads in production?

I'm betting he'd make the no added weight basepads argument to shoot that proposal down ---- and that would likely be the same interpretation used to deny a G17 mag in a G19.....

• 2 months later...

Just a quick recap to see if anyone ever followed through with the NROI letter on the 17 mags in a 19.

I have a 34 that I plan on shooting in production this year..and was wondering if I could use my 19 as backup with my mags from my 34 instead of buying more 19 mags.