Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I Have Much Hate For Ford!

Unleashed

I have an '04 Super Duty with the 6.0L diesel. It has been in the shop 5 times in the last year...the first three times were for the fuel injection control module and the last two times were because the motor had 2 injectors go bad. I have now had a total of 4 injectors replaced (number three has been replaced twice!)

According to the Lemon Laws, because my truck now runs fine....it does not meet the criteria. So I get to pay $40K for a truck that may or may not get me home, or take me to work for that matter. Every time I have had a problem with it, I am usually stranded. Ford says that they don't see any valid reason that they should buy the truck back...after all "it's running right now, isn't it?" That's what they said and, due to forum restrictions and my respect for everyone that may read this, I will not list what I said in response!!

If you are considering buying one of these trucks, think it over longer than I did. I have decided that for the duration that I must drive this truck (until I am financially able to take a $10K hit) I will have a bumper sticker made that says "This truck was made in Mexico on the 6th of May".

Man. I hate this with you. Several of my friends have gone throught the same thing. All of them have finally got it sorted out now. Hope yours is too! The injectors have undergone several revisions now and are "Supposed" to be fixed - design wise.

Holy Crap, I am in the process of buying a Supercab diesel and after talking to a buddy that had a 7.3 and now a 6.0 he told me to buy the 7.3, and your nightmare is why! He has had good luck with his 6.0 chipped out, but many havent.......This is an omen for the 7.3. I am sorry for your problems, it might be time to find another dealer who is sympathetic, if that is possible.....DougC

Unleashed,

Do not give up on your truck. Many of the 04's had problems and Ford knows very well about them. Do not take your dealer or fleet managers BS on why they won't do a buyback. Go and deal with your regional director. The dealers don't like the buyback because they eat a good portion of the money. Ford however wants a happy repeat customer so keep going up the chain. Do a little research around the diesel forums and you will talk to several who have persevered a little more and either gotten their problems resolved or received the buyback option.

Good luck, Craig

Ok here is the answer to your problem. First off the 04 6.0 liter is junk. Ford has had major problems with ALL the sensors on the motor. These truck are notorious for bad fuel mileage hell my 02 7.3 gets 19 on the highway!!! There is NOTHING they can do short of changing the motor out. We have found this to be the best alternative at this point. A fellow shooter has a 04 that has been a nightmare with 26 visits to our local dealer and nothing resolved. Last month he was on the way home from a Rodeo and lost the water pump in the middle of no where. He was aware of a town about 10 miles away and drove it till it puked the motor. Ford replaced it with a new 06 long block with all new sensors and turbo, it was like owning a brand new truck. This truck went from 10 miles a gallon to 20 on the highway. This is NOT an urban legend!!!! We now have fixed 2 other 04’s in the same fashion. The 6.0 is a killer motor that Ford should have done a little more planning on. But there were trying to get it out to compete with GM’s dog ass Duramax! Yes I bleed Ford Blue!!! But am getting new Cummins next year!!! We have put together some killer diesel trucks including a twin turbo Cummins that put 750hp to the rear wheels of my Dynojet chassis dyno. Still like my 7.3!!

Ford only made a few changes to the motor after 04! Like everything and don’t let them lie to you, having been in the racing world for the last 25 years I have become very good friend with the Ford Tech rep’s around Texas. It’s amazing what people will say without thinking. I still can't understand why we race a Ford!!! First On Race Day.

Good luck with them and remember you are covered to 100,000 miles so make sure and take care of the problem before then!

Edited by MarkS_A18138

Here is a link to an Autoweek article on the 6.0 and some additional links within it. I almost bought one but opted to keep my old 84 6.9 with 347000+ on it until the kids get out of college. Still runs great with the Banks Sidewinder on it. If Ford doesn't get it together it will be the first time in 35 years that something other than a Ford will be sitting in my driveway.

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=103776

I have heard lots of bad things about the 6.0 from friends that own them. A hunting buddy of mine just got the "buy back" option right before this past elk season. They even upgraded his truck with all kinds of options on it.

I have an old '96 7.3 that I won't be selling anytime soon.

!!!7.3 !!! Ford is grate 250 super dutty 150,000 and going very strong if i keep it under 80mph I can get 19= if i keep in at and 70 I can get over 20 mpg only one sensor probelm two years ago.

Stay with it, start by writting letters / memos to the service departmnet about every problem you have had.

This is a corporate probelm treat it like exspect to go to cort. You need a paper trail that reads like a book. so that some one that does not know you can read it and folow the story. The second or third time you copie the service manager and dealer manager on the problems you are having and the reserch you did on how this was handeld by other owners off the wed rings info.

If you dont have it in writting it is = He said they said, she said they did. nothing will happen.

A lawyer will tell you =!Write it down!

Of several fundamental truths, one is that one issues from the womb pre-ordained by God as a Ford, GM, or Mopar guy (or gal), and God help you if you get it wrong... :P

After years of rock-solid Fords in my family, I had, in succession, a Chevy (good), and Oldsmobile (not so good), and a Pontiac (look up POS in the dictionary and it has a picture of my Trans-Am), the latter of which was SO vile that I bought...an American Motors (this was right before Chrysler snapped up Jeep).

At a tick over 80K miles, it spun a rod bearing and broke the crank (and yes, it was maintained meticulously, oil changes every 3K, et al). Turns out that this was a failing common to - you guessed it - the CHEVY 2.8L 60-deg. V-6 AMC was sticking in the Cherokees that year. It did it again with a replacement short block assembly at ~120K miles (OK, so I'm a slow learner), which had developed a slight rod knock at ~136K, at which point I unloaded it for what I had into the first replacement engine...

(OTOH, a dear friend - a GM man to the bone - put nearly 300K on an S-10 pickup with the exact same engine, merely attesting to the hypothesis.

My brother in law, from a lifetime GM family, persuaded by our (slightly opinionated Ford) family, OTOH, supplanted HIS S-10 with a Ford Explorer. Further cementing the proof of the theory, it turned out to be such a POS he re-christened it the Ford Exploder (which it did in definitive fashion on one trip, burning to a crisped shell along the interstate).

I'm back with Blue Oval with a 13-year old 5.0L 'Stang that's had one "major" repair in its life - a failed alternator... B)

Personally, I'm hoping that these 6L engines are an aberration for all you fellows' sake - and, obviously, hope that they don't drive you to GM's :lol:

I have owned 4 Fords, 2 GMs, 4 Chryslers (still own 1), 2 Mazdas (Wife still owns 1), 2 Hondas, 7 Suzukis, 1 Toyota (three engines in 7 years), 1 Fiat, 1 Morris and currently drive a company Mitsubishi. Some good some bad.

Some cheap to run, some expensive (Dodge V10).

I have heard good and bad about many and varied.

BUT, the problems you are having should have been sorted by the factory long before they got to where you are now. Get into them big time, take no prisoners.

When I worked at the Molson Indy (Champ car) this year, the official vehicle switched to Ford (from Dodge last year), the Pace car (Mustang) blew its rad, track service trucks had problems, for which Ford didn't offer any help getting sorted out. And the Dimwit they had as a rep at the race wanted the Honda-Michelin series cars (Honda Civics) to remove their Honda badging and replace it with Ford decals!!!

I looked for 2 weeks in the eastern half of Iowa. I found what I believe to be the last Crew Cab 7.3liter superduty in the area, an 2002 and jumped on it. I visited 9 dealerships that had at least one used 03-05 with under 6ok on them for sale. When I told them why I wanted a 7.3 they all to their credit admitted that they had problems with the 6.0 liter but they now have them fixed.......They were also not surprised that all their 7.3s were gone also......Needless to say when they started on the new 6.0 trucks they had and how much they would drop to make a deal I walked, and am glad I did. Now I have to buy bullets for the year and save for my chip and exhaust..... :wub: Life is good!

A big thanks for everyone for the info about the 6.0liter engines! I hope I can return the favor someday! ;)

Edited by DougC

Of several fundamental truths, one is that one issues from the womb pre-ordained by God as a Ford guy.... I'm back with Blue Oval...

So.... that means you're past lusting for a Z06 'Vette? That one you keep saying you "want to get for Patti" (LMAO)

Bruce

Of several fundamental truths, one is that one issues from the womb pre-ordained by God as a Ford guy.... I'm back with Blue Oval...

So.... that means you're past lusting for a Z06 'Vette? That one you keep saying you "want to get for Patti" (LMAO)

Bruce

Arrrrrgh - I am SO busted... :unsure: