Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A Pair of GGI P320s

RangerTrace

I asked Bruce to build me a complete P320 top end to match the performance of my Lockwood pistol.  We went with the Modern Classic serrations on this one as well as their newest generation of barrels.  Bruce also tuned and installed their competition trigger on my Legion FCU.  It's sitting on a small stock TXG grip module here, but Alma Cole is doing his silicon carbide treatment on the TXG legion grip I already had.  Now to test them at the range to see which one becomes my primary match gun and which is the backup/practice gun.

IMG_7135.jpeg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great looking guns! I'm interested in what your comparison yields. I bought a Lockwood top recently and sent the gun to TSA for a trigger job. 

Someone told me that the Lockwood tops like higher pf loads. I'm hoping to shoot regular 130pf factory stuff. Ranger, what pf do you run in your Lockwood?

1 hour ago, jt1207 said:

Great looking guns! I'm interested in what your comparison yields. I bought a Lockwood top recently and sent the gun to TSA for a trigger job. 

Someone told me that the Lockwood tops like higher pf loads. I'm hoping to shoot regular 130pf factory stuff. Ranger, what pf do you run in your Lockwood?

I'm running 124s at 130PF.  100% reliable and around 2" at 25 yards with the Lockwood.  I suck at group shooting.  After 15 years of 1911 triggers, I'm still learning the P320 trigger.  I have no issues with it at match speed, but slow fire, from a rest is hard for some reason.  We will see if the new pistol does any better.  

49 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

I'm running 124s at 130PF 100% reliable and around 2" at 25 yards with the Lockwood.  I suck at group shooting.  After 15 years of 1911 triggers, I'm still learning the P320 trigger.  I have no issues with it at match speed, but slow fire, from a rest is hard for some reason.  We will see if the new pistol does any better.  

Okay thank you--that's encouraging. My friend did a grip job on my TXG that is silicone carbide, has the top shelf on the left shaved off, and has a baby palm swell and it feels incredible. I think it's similar to the Alma Cole grip so I bet you're going to love yours!

123_1 (1).JPEG

123_1.JPEG

Thats much cleaner than mine. I did it myself a couple years ago. Its amazing how mine feels good and look like crap at the same time. Yours looks nice and im guessing it feels good too

5 minutes ago, m700 said:

Thats much cleaner than mine. I did it myself a couple years ago. Its amazing how mine feels good and look like crap at the same time. Yours looks nice and im guessing it feels good too

Yes, I'm very pleased with it, thank you. My friend recommended to not go all the way up the backstrap with the silicone carbide so as to make it easier to shift my grip when hitting the mag release for reloads and I'm glad I took his recommendation.

2 hours ago, jt1207 said:

Yes, I'm very pleased with it, thank you. My friend recommended to not go all the way up the backstrap with the silicone carbide so as to make it easier to shift my grip when hitting the mag release for reloads and I'm glad I took his recommendation.

I ran it up. I didnt know any better. I was going to try and grind off the whole thing as there are some imperfections, cerakote the whole thing along with my lockwood slide and redo the carbide job. Either that or Carbide brass scales of an axg.

8 hours ago, jt1207 said:

Okay thank you--that's encouraging. My friend did a grip job on my TXG that is silicone carbide, has the top shelf on the left shaved off, and has a baby palm swell and it feels incredible. I think it's similar to the Alma Cole grip so I bet you're going to love yours!

123_1 (1).JPEG

123_1.JPEG

looks great

2 hours ago, terrydoc said:

Modern Classic on the left?

Yes sir.  More 1911ish cuts.  Have the same cuts on my 3.9" duty pistol.  The MC slide weights .1 ounce more than the Lockwood.  The Lockwood cuts have grown on me and they are VERY functional for racking the slide from about anywhere.

3 hours ago, jaep1911 said:

Nice looking pistols,RangerTrace! I’m loving my Lockwood slide and waiting to get one more. They are all out of stock now. 

They had a facebook post a few days ago with a table full of them being fitted.  Maybe you will soon be in luck.

10 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

Yes sir.  More 1911ish cuts.  Have the same cuts on my 3.9" duty pistol.  The MC slide weights .1 ounce more than the Lockwood.  The Lockwood cuts have grown on me and they are VERY functional for racking the slide from about anywhere.

thanks

I just recently bought the modern classic slide as well, it is a great upgrade and well worth it in my opinion. Really happy with it and glad I went with it, accuracy is great with brass monkey 127cn’s. Going to try a 135ish gr bullet to see how it feels.

This is the best I can do with the pistols at 25 yards, from a rest.  I have no problem shooting a plate rack at 25 yards freestyle, but I cannot shoot a sub 2" group.  I can't do any better with an Atlas to be honest......The group with a little more vertical stringing is from the Lockwood pistol and the rounder group is from the new slide/barrel/FCU.  

70646803795__DBCF0614-AA82-4A0D-82BE-3652D4F9683D.jpeg

70646802067__9EBA2D15-236D-402C-A5CC-4121D8B5CF0E.jpeg

thanks, this gives me a good starting point for what to expect with the Lockwood. We don't reload, so it'll probably be the usual game of finding a factory load or two that the gun likes. 

7 hours ago, jt1207 said:

thanks, this gives me a good starting point for what to expect with the Lockwood. We don't reload, so it'll probably be the usual game of finding a factory load or two that the gun likes. 

I changed from 147s to 124s based on advice from Bruce.  I should have tried a group with the 147s just for grins, but I only had my crappy practice rounds with me.

For accuracy I think 124's is the way to go.  Here's my 5 shot group at 15 yards standing.  9mm case for measurement.  RMR 124 Match Winner Truncated  at 127 PF.  I'm going to kick it up a tad....Too close to 125 for my tastes.  No accuracy work done.  Factory barrel and slide (P320 X5 Legion) with a SRO.  135's are pretty decent too.

IMG_4021.jpg

Edited by oddjob

5 hours ago, oddjob said:

For accuracy I think 124's is the way to go.  Here's my 5 shot group at 15 yards standing.  9mm case for measurement.  RMR 124 Match Winner Truncated  at 127 PF.  I'm going to kick it up a tad....Too close to 125 for my tastes.  No accuracy work done.  Factory barrel and slide (P320 X5 Legion) with a SRO.  135's are pretty decent too.

IMG_4021.jpg

Looks good to me.  

On 5/22/2023 at 11:12 AM, RangerTrace said:

This is the best I can do with the pistols at 25 yards, from a rest.  I have no problem shooting a plate rack at 25 yards freestyle, but I cannot shoot a sub 2" group.  I can't do any better with an Atlas to be honest......The group with a little more vertical stringing is from the Lockwood pistol and the rounder group is from the new slide/barrel/FCU.  

70646803795__DBCF0614-AA82-4A0D-82BE-3652D4F9683D.jpeg

70646802067__9EBA2D15-236D-402C-A5CC-4121D8B5CF0E.jpeg

Basically the same finding for my lockwood (non faxon). I can't shoot well enough at 25yds even on a rest like you but this group i get is def better than i ever could with my regular legion slide.

My group was 2" with 124gr. Dont think i will go back to 147/150 on this platform.

Edited by mrvip27

After a LENGTHY discussion with Luke at KKM, he recommended I use the xtp type 124/125 JHPs with my new 1:16 twist KKM barrel in the P320 MAX.

Final test session comparing load results in the Ransom Rest, I settled on this combo:

IMO, it won't get much better than this in a P320 type pistol.........

👍

R347.png

Edited by HOGRIDER
sp

1 hour ago, RangerTrace said:

I just want to be able to do that with the gun in my hands shooting from a rest. 

This is the same load bench tested using one of those inexpensive Caldwell plastic rests...........

👍

RD2 Sight In MOA@20yds.png