Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolvers in England? This can't be real?

ysrracer

Absolutely real.

British law defines a "pistol" as a firearm with a barrel shorter than 30 cm (12 in) or a total length of less than 60 cm (24 in)[23] (this definition encompasses revolvers, revolving pistols). Only muzzle-loading pistols—including muzzle-loading revolvers—are permitted; in practice all such firearms use black powder—a Class 1 explosive—as the propellant. Small quantities of muzzle-loading pistols and revolvers in various calibres, which comply with the regulations, are manufactured.[24] All other pistols are mostly prohibited in Great Britain, with some exceptions such as pistols used for the humane dispatch of injured animals (such as deer) and some historical firearms.

This law created a new market for "long-barrelled revolvers" and "long-barrelled pistols", firearms with a permanently attached extension to the grip, making them long enough to fit under the legal definition of a rifle. Long-barrelled pistols in single-shot, or long-barrelled revolvers, both of any calibre, or semi-automatic in .22 rimfire, are all permitted with a Firearm Certificate.[25]

I was contacted by a fellow in the UK to do a carbon barrel for a smith for him. Unfortunately because of the length of blank it would take and the amount of carbon I believe the number I gave him was the equivalent of a rifle barrel. 

Better than no revolvers I guess. 

52 minutes ago, matteekay said:

If I could import one of these, I'd totally hack down that shroud and make a built-in compensator.

1089316343.jpg

I'm pretty sure you can get a Chiappa Rhino in USA, without shroud and rear extension.

Yes, UK effectively banned 'short firearms' after the Dunblane shooting in 1997. As a result, you now have long barrel firearms which are effectively handguns that are not prohibited by virtue of being too short. Unfortunately, because there is also a ban on self-loading centerfire firearms, any long barrel pistols can only be chambered in 22 rimfire calibres. The exception being long barrel revolvers, which are not considered self-loading.

Because they are not considered to be a rifle either, UK law does not allow you to borrow someone else's long barrel firearm, even in their presence.

5 hours ago, perttime said:

I'm pretty sure you can get a Chiappa Rhino in USA, without shroud and rear extension.

I've owned about 8 and currently have 3. I want to get one of the UK abominations to mess with but they're not available stateside.