Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good moon clips for 9mm reloads?

MuayThaiJJ

Hey gang,

As I prepare to jump back into revolvers, I am wondering if there is a certain brand of moon clips good for my reloads? I use range brass, resized, 147gn coated bullets and TG.

I am reading tidbits about moon clips not playing nice with reloaded ammo.

Any advise or tips will be appreciated.

thanks!

N

The moons need to be sized to the brand of brass you are using for tightest fit and quickest reloads. Reloads and 929s are the best combination, but mixed brass and moons aren’t always the best. I’d say to try a TK blued .035 for mixed brass, but make sure you have lots of spring tension in the mainspring as your firing pin will have a lot of work to do. 

15 hours ago, Tom Freeman said:

I am using TK .035 moons.  All the brass I have sorted out for my 929s is WCC (Winchester) GI brass or WIN brass.  Federal and Speer are good also.

Remington is the worst.  I put that junk in my lost brass pile.

I agree with Tom, except I've had some issues with WCC brass in the .035 moon clips. I use TK for all of my moon clip needs.

It's not that moonclips don't play nice with reloaded ammo, it's that some moonclips only play nice with specific brass. My 10mm/40S&W brass has to be Fed or Starline brass, my 9mm moonclips seem to digest whatever range leavings I stick in them. I don't know if that is true for all brass, but so far everything has gone in the clips, gone in the gun and gone bang. Maybe 9mm is more forgiving.

TK are looser than DAA moons. S&B and Remington are too loose for either.

WIN and TK would probably be the best fit.  DAA takes either Blazer or FC nicely

WIN can be too tight in DAA and nickel WIN, forget it.  I tried once.

running factory .035's  mixed brass and 15 yo wolf primers,,, so far so good, Ordered some speed beeze..
First Icore coming up soon and havent decided on the 617 or 929....  No holster for the 929 and the 617 trigger is so bad I cant shoot it in double action