Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA/SC Age limit?

WestPat

My son is 10 and he loves to shoot.  He has not wanted to go with me to a competition in the past, but he came to one recently and he loved it and asked me when we could go and shoot together.  He knows and obeys safe firearm practices and he is proficient with a .22LR rifle or pistol.  Is there an age limit, and how soon is too soon to let them shoot in a comp?  I am thinking a local SC match would be great.

Thanks,

David

I don’t believe USPSA has an age limit. You would have to know the laws in SC as far as age goes. I’m in NY and I believe the age is 12 here. You should just contact your pistol permit office for that info. Hope this helps. 

29 minutes ago, dapribek said:

I don’t believe USPSA has an age limit. You would have to know the laws in SC as far as age goes. I’m in NY and I believe the age is 12 here. You should just contact your pistol permit office for that info. Hope this helps. 

OP means steel challenge?

43 minutes ago, dapribek said:

Hi Sarge,

Sorry, don’t understand your question. 

OP means steel challenge?

David

I believe the question is: "What do you mean by SC?"

We are guessing that you mean Steel Challenge, and not Sim City or South Carolina.

My 9yr old son and 10 yr old daughter have been shooting steel challenge with me for a year now at different clubs here in Michigan so I'd bet your son is good to go.

On 4/2/2023 at 3:36 AM, WestPat said:

My son is 10 and he loves to shoot.  He has not wanted to go with me to a competition in the past, but he came to one recently and he loved it and asked me when we could go and shoot together.  He knows and obeys safe firearm practices and he is proficient with a .22LR rifle or pistol.  Is there an age limit, and how soon is too soon to let them shoot in a comp?  I am thinking a local SC match would be great.

Thanks,

David

KC Escubio made M at 9 years and GM at 12. Tell your 10 year old to get busy 😉 

My Grandson is 7 and will shoot his third Steel Challenge match next week.  We bowered the gun in the picture but since then I have put together one that fits him better.  On the way home from the first match he asked me if we could practice, talk about a proud Grandpa, I smiled for days.

image.jpeg.d954b4b2e564b56335a87506d4d77168.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

He turned 10 on 4/21.  I bought him a practice pass for WSSC this week.  He is in love with it now.  I didn’t get to watch every squad I wanted to, but we had a ton of encounters with the pros up in the practice bays.  
Now I just need a second job to pay for ammo, cuz he is ready to practice and go back to CMP for his first match in June.

Thanks,

David

• 3 weeks later...

We have a local guy who has brought his kids of all ages and did great with it. The most special was his 8 year old daughter who shot a 22, which some guys griped about it not being legal, however she was 8 it was her first match and she wasn’t going to win.

i was completely fine with it and wish she would have continued.

id say if your son is safe go for it.

have him at home maybe start with a red dot 9mm with some lighter loads and work it up for him.

i have seen some 9 year old boys shoot a 2011 in 40

so it can be done

wish you all the best of luck

• 3 months later...
On 4/2/2023 at 5:36 AM, WestPat said:

Thanks,

David

My oldest Grandson started shooting in competition when he was 8 years old. He's competed in many USPSA, Action Pistol, and Steel matches. He competed in his first Single Stack Classic when he was 9 years old shooting one of my custom 45's using full power 230 gr ball ammo.
If you think your child has the maturity and handles guns in a safe manner I would say go for it. You are the one that will know when your child is ready to compete. Just be sure and stress the safety issue as one can never be to safe.