Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rune tactical or MBX 24+1 kit?

ringram

Installed on magazines since 10/2022.

• Zero feeding issues to note
  • No bullets that somehow went underneath the follower
  • Shooting about every weekend in the sunny state, last round is still has good positive tension
  • Mags are loaded 24/7, no dryfire is done on these mags
  • Can do an unloaded start to 24 with every mag, it requires firm insertion and a firm movement of the slide

On 3/27/2023 at 8:46 PM, ringram said:

So I see both of these guys do kits. 

Anyone got feedback on which one is best for reliability, ease of reload, plus mag stuffing etc? 

Thanks 

No experience with MBX but between Rune and Grams, Rune every day and twice on Sunday.

Between Henning and TF extensions, TF every day and twice on Sunday

10 hours ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

No experience with MBX but between Rune and Grams, Rune every day and twice on Sunday.

What makes the TF extensions better? after some broken TTI time to explore other options 

19 hours ago, Seoderus said:

What makes the TF extensions better? after some broken TTI time to explore other options 

They attach via a screw that acts as a rear stop instead of a plunger that depends on a tiny roll pin and a flimsy spring.  Drop mags with Henning extensions enough and the aluminum channel that the plunger rides in will get chewed up and jam the plunger.

Edited by Johnny_Chimpo

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2023 at 6:05 AM, Johnny_Chimpo said:

Howdy. Which TF extensions are you using, signature or original? Thinking about trying this setup.

So far Rune no good for 24+1 

Maybe 23.5 max. 

Also had some feeding issues. Follower is printed so a bit rough. 

Yes, I'm running alloy henning pads.. 

Need to do more testing, my henning pads are a few years old. But if the feeding does indeed suck, then they are a hard pass. So far they don't work. But I'm not giving up on them totally yet. 

I have 6 Grams kits, and 6 TF Signature base pads. Using Mecgar 17rd. tubes, I get 23 in every one, and every one feeds 100%. No need to do anything else. Like in open mags, you can chase 30 or 31 in a big stick, or get to 29 easily and it works every time. Pay your money, take your chances.

I usually run the CZC pad and spring/follower kit and get 23 rounds no issues.

Saw the RUNE kit and had to give it a try.

with CZC pad its only 23, had to get a Henning pad to get it to hold 24, non-reloadable. difference is the lockplate.

the spring takes a set after one loading, but still seems to run so far.

RUNEspringkit2.jpg.fbdcb8e05c7de753c7a693c6364eae7c.jpg

so I guess when you need 25 rounds for that stage.

Edited by eerw

Ok, update 

After a few days of running 23 and filling the follower a little to make it run smoothly I can confirm 24+1 with the Rune. 

Needs a hard smack to seat, but seems to run fine. Will monitor over time. But seems ok now. Just needed a few days of hard use at 23.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently got 2 Rune kits and 2 MBX kits for my Shadow 2 mags with Henning Basepads. The MBX fit 24 out of the packaging and the Rune only fit 23. I had to work the Runes for a few days to even barley get it to fit 24. 

So I currently running MBX for my start mag in USPSA.

I picked up 4 rune kits. I'm using them with the Taylor Freelance original pads and Mec-gar AFC tubes. I was able to get 24 in all 4, but you do have to make sure the spring "settles" into itself. Sometimes I would get to 23 and it wouldn't feel possible to get that 24th in place. In that case I would hit the bottom of the mag, then give the 23rd round a real good push with my uplula until I heard the spring snap into place and then I can easily get that 24th in. I had no issues with 24+1 at the range during live fire. I would shoot a couple, top off and repeat at least 10 times with each mag. I am leaving the mags loaded at 24 to hopefully train the springs.

I made a video, please excuse the mikes 😆

Mine is working fine. Yeah its tight for the 24th, but what do you expect?

100% reliable now. Im using it hard to see what durability is like.

The grams 23+1 have been 100% for many years. So Im hoping the Rune are 24+1 with the same reliabilty.

On 4/19/2023 at 11:00 AM, ringram said:

Ok, update 

After a few days of running 23 and filling the follower a little to make it run smoothly I can confirm 24+1 with the Rune. 

Needs a hard smack to seat, but seems to run fine. Will monitor over time. But seems ok now. Just needed a few days of hard use at 23.

There's always the option of running an extra spicy first round if the stage is 24 rounds and you're just not sure if you need that makeup shot. 24+1 is a lot of spring pressure after all. '19 Nat's was a great match...

Do you roll size your brass if you're reloading? Factory ammo and roll sized ammo tend to give you a small bit of extra wiggle room compared to standard resized brass. 

Are any of y'all just running the complete MBX CZ75 magazines? I was thinking I should pick a couple more magazines up, but I don't feel like buying tubes.. then buying springs... then buying extensions when I could just buy an MBX mag. I have one of their TacSport big sticks and it's my only totally reliable mag for my Czechmate 😅

Magazine_CZ_001.jpg

Edited by VeilAndrew

Pretty tempting for sure.  if you wanted to go with the nickel cz mags (similar look to the MBX), you're looking at $40 for one of them plus $30 or so for the extension, plus another $20 or so for the spring and follower, so $90 out the door.  The MBX comes in stainless and is $109, so for like $19 more you get the whole package, purpose built to work as one unit.  But that's just a single mag so cost isn't as far off.

Yet, for the cheap among us (me), you can get a tube for $20, spring and follower for about $20, and an extension for $30, so $70 out the door.  

If you're looking for a solid set for a match, you need about 8 (in my opinion), so 8@$70 is $560 and 8 (MBX) @ $109 is $872.  That's a $312 difference, or another 4 extra $70 mags (50% more) you can add on with the cheaper option.

MBX does have a really good reputation, but i bet there are hundreds of competitors out there running some iteration of the $70 mag too.

If i were working for MBX, i'd have recommended pricing these new shadow 2 mags a little more competitively.  In the $90 or even the $80 range, they'd sell a whole lot more, in my opinion, making the lower bottom line worthwhile.  The way it is now, i feel they are overevaluating their name.  The 2011 guys (and even the czechmate guys) swear by the reliability of the MBX mags (from what i've read).  I (a relatively new shadow 2 shooter) am not yet a firm believer as i haven't been on the other platforms yet.

Now if the geometry of the diamond shaped indentations is in fact an improvement that results in better feeding, then i'd be interested in trying one out.  They do claim to have "new reduction indents" which "allows for very fast and consistent nose up bullet presentation".  Looking at pics they seem to have canted the top of the diamond's point frontward slightly, so there might be more to it.  My interest is definitely piqued, although i have no issues to note with my present czc spings and followers with either CZC extensions or TF (i run a set of each and have had zero issues so far).

Edited by nkresho

I was running the MBX 23 round mags in my CZ S2 and am getting over insertion. Damaging the feed lip and scratching the bottom side of my slide. Plus they don’t reliably strip the first round out when loaded to 23. Went back to MecGar and Henning pads, some with the rune tactical 24 round followers and won’t look to MBX again. 

oh no, back to the drawing board i guess...

That's a solid review of the offering.  Thanks for sharing.

The space between the grip and the baseplate was a difference that no other extensions had.

Edited by nkresho

I think he may have just saved me some money. I've broken my TTI basepads before, and I got some new ones (they replaced for free) and they've started to show signs of breaking soon as well. I'm sure dropping on concrete isn't very nice to them, but I'll probably go for the MecGar/Henning/Rune combo. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 6/2/2023 at 9:12 AM, MidnightRider said:

I'm having double feed issues with the mbx springs and followers in the mecgar tubes with henning pads. They did hold 24 from the beginning.

I had double feed issues on one stage with NEW Rune spring and follower in factory chrome tube with TTI pad but after that stage and unloading and reloading the mag, it worked. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2023 at 2:40 PM, seako_916 said:

I had double feed issues on one stage with NEW Rune spring and follower in factory chrome tube with TTI pad but after that stage and unloading and reloading the mag, it worked. 

Like brand, brand new?  You should always run your magazines through a few full loads before running in a match!  The springs often need a couple cycles to break in. 

I have the full MBX magazines, and henning/mecgar/rune tactical setups.  The MBX have become my training magazines, and the henning/mecgar are match magazines. I don't love the coating on the MBX magazines as they are a little stickier in the gun, and they also don't hold as many rounds. I can squeeze 24 in the henning/mecgar/rune but haven't done enough testing to see if I get 24+1 start reliably.  Certainly I wouldn't try to reload to the 24 in a match as it requires way too firm of a push to be consistent in a match.