Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 with SRO: question about mounting

WFargo

Hi guys, 

I bought a 'normal' Shadow 2 and an SRO and my favorite gunsmith is going to cut the slide to mount it. 

As the mounting holes in the SRO are slightly too wide for the normal Shadow 2 slide, I see several 'solutions' on line. 

In the first picture you can see that the holes are very much at the outer limits of the slide and you can actually see the bolts protruding under the SRO when mounted.

In the second picture another solution where they 'bolted'  'pillars' to the sides of the slide where the bolts screw into.

Does anyone have experience with this and possibly a 'drawing' of their solution? 

Shadow cut.png

Shadow mounting solution.png

Edited by WFargo
additional info

The bottom picture is how Fire 4 Effect ‘solved’ the problem of the Trijicon’s mounting footprint being slightly too wide for the Shadow 2.  They milled in two pockets for the ‘pillars’ as you call them which are dovetailed in and further secured with cross screws.  I believe the intent was to provide more ‘meat’ for the mounting screws to attach to.  I have two guns they did the milling for and have not had any issues. 

Sadly Fire 4 Effect went out of business in 2022.  But I think I saw something online that said Impact Machine has taken over F4E’s mounting method (it may have been patented).  

Thanks guys, 

I live in the Netherlands so the CZ Custom route is not available to me. 

But this company Primary Machine really dares to go very low!  Thanks for the pic tt350z  I've passed this on to my gunsmith. 

We're a bit worried about getting very, if not too close, to the slide rails ( when drilling the holes) ánd the firing pin channel with cutting down so low as Primary Machine, so we're probably gonna go for the 'Fire 4 Effect' option and see if we can create these 'pillars' where the mounting bolts can screw into. 

I'll post some pics when it's done, guys. 

Edited by WFargo

Yeah did think about that option as well...  but we're going for the Fire 4 Effect option, now. 😄

You know, this whole 'adventure' started with me asking my gunsmith to get me a new Shadow 2 and an SRO and I didn't want the Optics Ready model, cause I wanted him to cut the SRO as low as possible into the slide, and as I saw 'everybody' in the US shooting with SRO's on their Shadows, never thought it was going to be a problem...   until now... 😁

5 hours ago, WFargo said:

We're a bit worried about getting very, if not too close, to the slide rails

It isn't a problem, however if you want to have a plate system milled onto your slide go with CZ Custom RDS.

https://czcustom.com/custom-work/s-i-rds-plate-cut-and-plate.html

Advantage is the ability to change optics.

OOPS, saw you don't live in the USA. 

Edited by HesedTech

6 hours ago, WFargo said:

Yeah did think about that option as well...  but we're going for the Fire 4 Effect option, now. 😄

You know, this whole 'adventure' started with me asking my gunsmith to get me a new Shadow 2 and an SRO and I didn't want the Optics Ready model, cause I wanted him to cut the SRO as low as possible into the slide, and as I saw 'everybody' in the US shooting with SRO's on their Shadows, never thought it was going to be a problem...   until now... 😁

Please let me know how it works out for you and which gunsmith you use, going to do the same if it works 🙂

Hi Henk, Remon from Langezaal Custom Works will do the job. 

I will definitely share the outcome with you guys, here. 

Honestly the Fire 4 Effect solution looks very good and solid to me... but it is quite some work...

7 hours ago, WFargo said:

Hi Henk, Remon from Langezaal Custom Works will do the job. 

I will definitely share the outcome with you guys, here. 

Honestly the Fire 4 Effect solution looks very good and solid to me... but it is quite some work...

🙂 tnx

On 3/20/2023 at 8:13 AM, WFargo said:

And in this picture you see the SRO mounted where you can actually see a tiny bit of the mounting screws protruding from under the SRO. 

Shadow SRO mounted.png

This is how mine is from Stone Bridge Gun Works and it is fine. I just made sure to apply blue thread locker and let it cure for 24hrs and its been GTG

Here's a couple of pictures that better show how the RDOMS from Fire 4 Effect works. Impact Machine mentioned that he plans to make replacement parts for the system available, so it might be worthwhile to reach out to them and see if they can provide you with the mounting posts & hardware. There's also a video on youtube of someone disassembling the RDOMS where you can see how it works.

67403622_2038766059562768_6949604586436967775428_2038766112896096_48201794076058

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...