Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Montana Gold Or Zero Bullets?

PistolPete

I've been using Montana Gold bullets for quite some time now and have had nothing but good luck with them. However, I can purchase Zero bullets for a little bit less money and was curious what everyone here was using. How are the Zero bullets??? The Montana Gold bullets always function perfectly in my SV and would assume the Zero bullets would be the same? Should I try a few thousand Zeros and see how they are or should I continue being loyal with Montana Gold because they've never let me down?

Thanks in advance,

Pete

+1 on if it isn't broken

But I have ben useing Zero for several years now. and I am happy with them if I had to pay 25% more I would still use them.

Good in my Auto good in my Revolver good for Steel and Good for IPSC. Good for Team Challenge on 4" target at 35 yards

+2 on "If it ain't broke..."

However, I've been using Zero bullets in .38/.357, 9mm and .45 for years and am very pleased with them. Good product, good service, good prices. Their 125 grain .355" JHPs are universally admired - they'll go under 2" from my stock CZ-75B at 25 yards with my old eyes, and a lot of Open shooters use them in 9x19 and .38 Super.

Their free shipping starts at 1,000 bullets; they sell in boxes of 500 and will mix calibers and weights to make the 1,000 mark. I'd get a couple of boxes just to try them and see if there's a significant difference.

Pete- I wondered the same thing last year. I've been using the MG 180g CMJ's with great results. I load to 1.200". I bought 1000 Zero 180g JHP's. I had problems. :( The ogive is different and they would not drop check in my Dillon case gauge and would not feed reliably in my SV. Someone recommended going to 1.165" oal and everything was fine. After a lot of aggrivation, I went back to the MG's and havn't looked back. I also tried the Precision bullets this year. They work fine. But I'm going back to the MG's when I run out.

Good luck,

Thanks everyone for the heads up....

.40AET I value your experience as I am also shooting an SV with a Schueman barrel loading my rounds to 1.20 as well. If you had problems and had to resize your rounds I don't want to go thru that. Looks like I'll stick with the Montana Gold. After all they've been 100% reliable and just as accurate.

Pete

FWIW, I load Zero 180 JHP's in a Schuemann AET @ 1.190 or so and have absolutely no feeding problems. Barrel has 4K through it.

I also use Zero's 115's and 125's in my open gun - also with a .38 Super AET barrel. Loaded to 1.240, they work (for around 40K).

I got kinda cut off before I was finished. I like the Zero bullets a lot and use them in my open gun with 100% reliability. They just didn't work in .40 at 1.200" oal. Both are excellent bullets. Some day I just gotta learn to leave well enough alone. The easier way is to find a friend who uses Zero's and try some of his. They are cheaper.

I've been using Montana Gold bullets for quite some time now and have had nothing but good luck with them. However, I can purchase Zero bullets for a little bit less money and was curious what everyone here was using. How are the Zero bullets??? The Montana Gold bullets always function perfectly in my SV and would assume the Zero bullets would be the same? Should I try a few thousand Zeros and see how they are or should I continue being loyal with Montana Gold because they've never let me down?

Thanks in advance,

Pete

Oh Pete, now you've done it. I was using MG but switched to Zero cause they were over $10 cheaper (per 1000) thru Chuck at Shooter's connection. I haven't even started loading the 2000 I bought and now you have me thinking about going back to MG. I've had no problems with any of the Zero's I've shot in .45 and I've gone thru around 4k so far. My SV won't be ready for a while yet so I still have time to decide. Maybe I'll go Zero in .45s and MG for my .40 shooting. Decisions decisions...

-Cuz.

I have used both--.40 Caliber, 180gr, vv320 in a Nowlin barrel.

Both work great. The MG would not always show up well when doing a Chrono. No problems with the Zeros.

I did have to adjust the seating to get to a 1.19-1.20 length. No big deal.

I buy from Angus.

The service is great.

The shipping was free.

If you buy enough volume there is a pretty good discount for using a check rather than a credit card.

I pretty much try to standardize on one bullet. Zeros are working out great.

Pete, go with .40AET's suggestion and try and 'borrow' a handfull from another shooter. I sell both brands in my local area and the only complaint I have had was with an open shooter using a 38 super IMM shorty with a Tribrid. Accuracy was his complaint. ( Per SV he shouldn't be shooting either Z's or MG'S anyway ;) )All other class shooter's especially the limited guy/ladies have swithed to 180 JHP's Z's and won't go back. Reason's are they have found Zero's to be just as accurate and reliable and ZERO's are CONSIDERABLY less expensive than MG's (at least @ the wholesale level) which I pass along to them.

Edited by Shoepop

Pete,

Shoot me an e-mail and I'll give you some .40 Zero bullets to try out.

I have 180 JHP's and 200 TCFM's.

I have not tried these bullets yet as I am still waiting for my new limited pistol to get built.

Let me know when you be at MRA or MVGG.

Paul