Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What I Like About Idpa!

Steve Moneypenny

What I like about IDPA topic is so you can tell us what you LIKE about IDPA a thread free of griping bashing etc. Why would other shooters want to play this game? I'll go first :)

I like how it removes the huge thought break down of stages, sometimes it is nice to show up and shoot.. just shoot not analyze.

I like that it gives me new things to play with. Sure hours dry firing is fun, but now throw on a vest and try drawing that gun.

I like the fact that you can do it with most guns the average joe would own without being greatly bothered to have a dozen mags.

I like shooting at, into around and through cars, something we don't do much of in other sports.

Laughing at videos of myself TRYING to hide behind itty bitty barrels and still shoot targets.

The fact that it brings people out to the range to shoot and hang out with other shooters :)

Remember post positive things or you get an FTDR!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like being able to set up a scenario based course, using distance and props to see what things might have looked like.

I like being able to set up a "blind course", one you can see all you want but can't know what you're going to see through the sights, until that timer goes off. I've leanred a lot about what I can really do, or how well I adapt to unknowns by shooting this type of course.

I like that you don't have to run 40 yards during the COF

I like that you don't have to engage 30 + targets

I like that my single stack is competitive

I like that you don't have to spend 200+ bucks on race gear to hold your pistol

I like that you can go shoot and not have to be gone all day

I like that you don't see any upside down targets

I like that you don't have to use such elaborate props

I like that classifiers aren't part of the COF

:rolleyes::lol::P

1. The storyline you get on some stages really makes it enjoyable.

2. The fact that you can roughly calculate your score on the spot.

3. Practice in drawing from concealment.

4. The effort to encourage use of tactics.

5. The less competitive shooters (I'm not one of them!).

All of the above but mostly I like the people involved with IDPA here locally. I have had the fortune to shoot at a fair number of clubs here in the NE and 99.9% of the people who I have encountered have been really nice people. You get the odd jerk here and there but while it's fun to participate in a sport you love it's even more fun to do so with good people.

Here is one of my favorites:

Course of Fire Rules

CoF 1. All CoF must either simulate a possible real life scenario or test skills that might reasonably be used in a real life self-defense confrontation. If you cannot honestly say “that could happen,” it probably won’t make a good IDPA stage.

Ben, the drive is a little long for no shooting involved. If you go, say hi to the crew for me.

I like the people. I have met some great people at IDPA matches. I also like the fact that wherever I go through the day whether it be to work, the store, my house, the backyard, I can always imagine a stage design and scenario to shoot.

I also like being able to leave a match and carry concealed in the same gear that I just shot the match in.

Glock17w

Edited by glock17w

I like shooting a match with the same gun, same holster, same double mag pouch, same magazines, I carry every day.

I like the sophisticated moving target systems our resident Magiver, Evan Lurton, designs and builds.

I like taking a new shooter who's never fired any sort of pistol competition before out to his first IDPA match and watching him have a blast.

I like the camaraderie.

I like winning. (Hey, what can I say.)

I like working on my shooting skills, and seeing real improvement, especially major improvement over a short time frame.

I like the fact my Glock 34 drops its own slide during a speedload, making my "emergency reload" so fast and smooth that one guy at the last match didn't even think I'd shot the gun to slidelock. Hah!

I like going up against guys running basically the same equipment and seeing who comes out on top.

I like using cover.

I like shooting on the move.

I like tight shots that reward accuracy.

I like wide open targets that reward speed.

I love the classifier, and the fact that the desire to get my IDPA Master ranking has pushed me to improve much more than any other factor.

I like the people, by and large a great bunch of guys.

Sending rounds downrange to slay cardboard foes! I love the smell of gunsmoke in the morning, reminds me of... victory!

More seriously, I like getting more time with the trigger. IDPA is usually more laid back.

I like the scoring system. Everything is converted to time, and like golf, the one with the lowest score wins.

I like that it seems more like an entry level sport, which is good for me.

The classifications and the divisions.

About the entry level sport thing.... it only requires an entry level gun SO bring whatchya got!

You don't need a gun that requires financing.

The people, real friendly, similar mindsets when it comes to guns, gun handling, and politics.

Chills

Off to fight night. Oh yeah... you all know my gripes about IDPA...just look under "Round dumping and going to slide lock"