Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shot ICORE With My 617

I was invited by the match director of the Phoenix Rod & Gun Club ICORE Division to come to one of their matches and shoot my 617.  Do to handicaps I had to sell all my centerfire guns, decided not to move into assisted living and bought the 617 to start shooting again.

I finally had time Sunday to take him up on it.  It was great seeing friends from 10 years ago when I was quite active.  I met a few new people as well and "High to Doug Carden" for helping me with my walker.

I only had one guy giving me a hard time for shooting a .22.  I finally told him "Don't Be An ASS" and walked away.  The guys on my squad had a few laughs and we enjoyed the match.  Good stages, some required 10 shots from each position and I didn't have to reload while everyone else did.

I want to thank all who graciously welcomed me.  I don't know when I'll be able to go to another match but I'm hoping it will be soon.

BTW.  .22s are allowed now.  Read the rule book because no one seemed to know how to score me.  There was a lot of steel, on only had to hit it for it to count but my ammo nocked down all but one popper.  I was shooting Remington Bucket Of Bullets and they worked very well.  Next time I'm going to take some Stingers for the steel. Ha Ha.

That Doug Carden is a good guy and don’t give the guy giving you trouble any response , it not worth your time. The 617 sounds like a blast and when you think about it each round probably costs about the same a a Federal small pistol primer 😂. Your name sounds familiar maybe our paths have crossed somewhere. ✌🏻🇺🇸

I'm sure they have.  I am the first member of ICORE besides the Higashi family.   When asked what number I wanted I said Az45 since I was shooting a 625 at the first couple of IRCs.

I was Range Master at one of the IRCs in Morro Bay and Rules Coordinator for about 4 years.

nice to see the rimfire division. Was just looking at revolvers online last night and wondering about a 627 or 617. Just dont have alot of desire to reload and have gotten into rimfire. Got wife a Lframe 22 and a ruger 1022, and I have been shooting my 22/45. And as mentioned cheaper than primers

2 hours ago, AzShooter said:

I'm sure they have.  I am the first member of ICORE besides the Higashi family.   When asked what number I wanted I said Az45 since I was shooting a 625 at the first couple of IRCs.

I was Range Master at one of the IRCs in Morro Bay and Rules Coordinator for about 4 years.

I was on the first Board for ICORE and shot all or almost all the IRC’s at Morro Bay. My ICORE number is LKS16 so yes our paths have crossed. Next time you see Doug tell him Dean from Iowa said hi. 
🏻🇺🇸🦅

It's good for the body and soul to get out and compete with friends.  Doubt if the young whipper snapper can last as long as you in the sport, and most assuredly would not contribute as much as you have.

Hopefully you can make more matches!

seem to be some rule contradictions on loader holders for rimfire,,,  says the are and arnt required,  Also holsters arnt required but special start positions are... Wll rimfire always be a low ready start like steel ?
I guess it is so new the ins and outs are being worked out.. ptobably put together a belt rig if I can find a loop lined outer belt

I"d recommend a holster and speed loader holders, makes it a lot easier on a field course!  Start position isn't a worry, it's the end of the field course but we can work around that by tossing your bag to your last spot or getting someone to carry your bag for you?  (I couldn't resist).

For Speed Loaders you could use a pouch type bag, just need to keep them with you until needed I'd think?

So Joe4d you thinking of bringing your 617 to a Mill Creek ICORE match this year?  The IPM has them listed as a Category with a payout.

22 hours ago, AzShooter said:

I shoot DS-10s from RevolverSupplyCo.com.  They hold the bullets better, easier to grab and release faster.  They are also less expensive, running $ 26 each.

It's like using the old Safariland IIIs.  I like them a lot.

617 wtih new DS-10s.jpg

I do like that holster, reminds me of my old Davis Rig.

2 hours ago, pskys2 said:

I"d recommend a holster and speed loader holders, makes it a lot easier on a field course!  Start position isn't a worry, it's the end of the field course but we can work around that by tossing your bag to your last spot or getting someone to carry your bag for you?  (I couldn't resist).

For Speed Loaders you could use a pouch type bag, just need to keep them with you until needed I'd think?

So Joe4d you thinking of bringing your 617 to a Mill Creek ICORE match this year?  The IPM has them listed as a Category with a payout.

yeh if nothing else to try the game out. Doing my due diligence with the rules, cant see how you would run a stage without loaders , I have some loaders on the way, and found my old 646 idpa holster that fits the 617 well enough, will dig for holders. Be off month of april , see what happens

On 2/19/2023 at 6:21 PM, Joe4d said:

yeh if nothing else to try the game out. Doing my due diligence with the rules, cant see how you would run a stage without loaders , I have some loaders on the way, and found my old 646 idpa holster that fits the 617 well enough, will dig for holders. Be off month of april , see what happens

You may want to try Johnson Precision Mag Racks, I use the DS10 speed loaders and super glued a small washer to the face and they work great with the magnets and don't interfere with anything.

IMG_1888.JPG

IMG_1882.JPG

IMG_1889.JPG

IMG_1883.JPG

Hey Steven, My pleasure.  Both my parents and my son rocks a walker so I know my way around them.  Happy to squad with you anytime!  Shout out to Dean as well.  I miss my Iowa homies!  Revo shooters are the best.

Steven, if you haven't had it done yet, I would have a smith run a reamer in all your chambers.  The factory chambers are tight and extraction works much better after they are given a little attention.  There are probably a dozen topics about it buried around here somewhere.

Good luck to those shooting the Western States Revo match tomorrow!  290 rounds in one day! 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I gave ICORE a try, a couple of weeks ago with a 17-4 and HKS speed loaders.

I found that rimfire isn’t heavy enough to want to drop in the cylinder, and I had one popper, that activated a swinger that refused to go down. I knew when I went that I was going to have last place all locked up, but was surprised that on a few stages I wasn’t last. 
Now, I have a Chiappa Rhino in 40 on the way. 🤪

I shot my first Icore last month with 617,  Got to game 1 20 round stage that messed with the squad.  Had issues with mandated reloads unloading with rounds still in chamber, small 22 rounds like to get stuck. I was using DS speedloaders, also had Speedbeeze and another...  ALL worked ok, the problem was the Speed Beeze speed loader holder wasnt made very well.  and needs adjust for the different brands and even then not a good design IMO,, so looking for a mo betta speed loader holder.

The speed loader holders from RevolverSupplyCo.com work very well for me.  You may also want to find the old metal holder that is spring steel and can be adjusted to any speed loader.  I keep one for my 6th loader and load that first.

I'll try to take a better picture of it but it's the last loader on this belt.

617 in black holsster with rig.jpg