Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scotch or Bourbon

wooddog

• 2 weeks later...

Only tried Jim Beam for Bourbon and did not like it much.

However I do like Scotch!

Johnnie Walker Red with Sprite - if on a budget
Johnnie Walker Black or Chivas Regal - if I have some money

Johnnie Walker Blue label, my absolute favorite! - if loaded

Did not like the single malt types so much like Glenfiddich or Johnnie Walker Green.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Incoming pretentious post...🫠

Depends. I like to try things and compare, although my tastes are fairly specific nowadays.

On the rocks? Scotch, preferably Islay something, something real peaty. I'm a fan of Laphroaig 18 but some of the speysides are super smooth and despite the lack of peat are hard to deny the quality of... The Balvenie makes some of the easiest scotches to scotch that I've ever scotched. Highland can be boring but Oban is good in a pinch, I'm not a fan of the big names which tend to be Highland as that's where most the landmass is.

Japan's got some real real solid offerings the past few years, although in my experience they don't really go peat-forward but I'd never turn down a chance to try some of the older Hibiki whiskeys.

Mixed? Bourbon. A proper whiskey sour is a beautiful thing. Usually go for Buffalo Trace cause its cheap and delicious. Some of the more obscure Coffey stills are interesting.

• 1 month later...

I'm not a fan of scotch or bourbon, Irish is my thing. I generally drink Jameson on the rocks, but when I want to go high quality it's either Greenspot or Egan's Conviction. I think Conviction is the best Irish whiskey I've ever had.

Just a comment: In Scotland Scotch is called whiskey and most do not have the smoky peat taste. If you get some aged in wine barrels from Spain it is soo smooth. The whiskey aged in used whiskey barrels from the US has a bit more bite. Scotch is normally aged at least 12 years and often 20 years as compared to 7 to 12 in the US. The Scottish people would never drink scotch without a drop or two of water to bring out the taste. I like all the scotch aged in wine barrels. For liquor it has to be Belvedere vodka - the smoothest.

Maybe I am a woose but i like smooth drinking spirits.