Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lead build up

Rich406

I’ve been shooting an Atlas Artemis this winter. The Artemis has a sight block barrel. I’ve been shooting mostly blue bullets through it. The problem is, I’ve been getting hella lead and coating build up between the barrel crown and the sight block. I’m afraid to really dig at it because I don’t want to damage the barrel crown. 

anyone have any tips, or experience with this?

3 hours ago, Rich406 said:

I’ve been shooting an Atlas Artemis this winter. The Artemis has a sight block barrel. I’ve been shooting mostly blue bullets through it. The problem is, I’ve been getting hella lead and coating build up between the barrel crown and the sight block. I’m afraid to really dig at it because I don’t want to damage the barrel crown. 

Typically good to just scrub it through with hopes 9 but I understand sometimes lead can be stubborn. What I did previously was to get about 3-5 rounds of fmj ammo and shot it through the barrel. The FMj projectile tends to squeeze the lead out with it. At least most of it. The flip side of this theory which some say is some lead that remain gets pancaked inside the barrel which might make it tougher to remove (?) I haven't experienced that so far or if there is, its too tiny to notice.

But I always thought the FMJ rounds have been very helpful for stubborn lead.

7 hours ago, jimbullet said:

Typically good to just scrub it through with hopes 9 but I understand sometimes lead can be stubborn. What I did previously was to get about 3-5 rounds of fmj ammo and shot it through the barrel. The FMj projectile tends to squeeze the lead out with it. At least most of it. The flip side of this theory which some say is some lead that remain gets pancaked inside the barrel which might make it tougher to remove (?) I haven't experienced that so far or if there is, its too tiny to notice.

But I always thought the FMJ rounds have been very helpful for stubborn lead.

I’m not really talking about inside the barrel. The problem I have is between the barrel crown and the sight block. 

I don’t know if this would help, I spray my comps with kroil after every outing and let it sit until the next time I shoot 

kroil is a penetrating oil that soften and get under the crud and  it blows out the next time I shoot it

17 hours ago, Rich406 said:

Use a different powder which doesn't vaporize the coating off of the bullets. If your ammo is "Smoky" then the coating is getting vaporized. For example, Tight Group + Major PF 40 cal coated bullets = MEGA Smoky

2 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

Use a different powder which doesn't vaporize the coating off of the bullets. If your ammo is "Smoky" then the coating is getting vaporized. For example, Tight Group + Major PF 40 cal coated bullets = MEGA Smoky

I use sport pistol, which is supposedly made for coated bullets. 

3 hours ago, shred said:

Yeah, same problem comp dudes have, but with harder access.  I wonder if a piloted crowning tool would work if you were careful not to recut the crown.

The buildup is right against the crown, which makes me nervous. 

Not much you can do to prevent it.  Powder selection will definitely help minimize it, as will shooting jacketed v plated bullets.  But, even with Sport Pistol or N320, you're still going to have build-up over time.  It's one of the reasons I'm not a fan of the design.

Try to switch to plated bullets. The cost maybe a little higher but I don’t believe it will be much.

Are you sure its the blue polymer coating you are seeing around your crown or are they carbon deposits? Either way you need a little elbow grease. Try Scottsbrite pad and a good brand barrel cleaner solvent. Patiently rub the deposit with it.

11 hours ago, nearsightedgunner said:

Try to switch to plated bullets. The cost maybe a little higher but I don’t believe it will be much.

Are you sure its the blue polymer coating you are seeing around your crown or are they carbon deposits? Either way you need a little elbow grease. Try Scottsbrite pad and a good brand barrel cleaner solvent. Patiently rub the deposit with it.

There is no way to get scotch brite into the sightblock 

37 minutes ago, lroy said:

Think I remember an Atlas vid of them recommending shooting some plated rounds through it to end your session to help push out s#!t out the barrel/comp.

This problem isn’t that. He’s talking about inside the barrel. 

35 minutes ago, lroy said:

It's an older video, but is this not what he's talking about?

Again. That’s mostly about the barrel itself. the build up I’m talking about is in a  gap between the barrel crown and the sight block. You can’t really get at it without scraping on the crown, and I don’t think that’s a good idea. Shooting a jacketed bullet will do nothing for this, in fact it might push more buildup into the gap. 

what I was really looking for is someone that shoots a nemesis. And their experiences.

Maybe contact Atlas.  Maybe they have seen this on the gun before and can give you the best course of action.

Something to try is Peroxidic Acid.  Soak the tip in the Peroxidic Acid and try some gentle mechanical means to remove the lead.  I have used a Dremel Engraver and Peroxidic Acid with great success on my PCC muzzles.  From use of the Engraver where I Dremel one end in the fashion of a chisel of sorts, it does not seem to be scratch the muzzle material, but I would test that before taking it to the crown.  

Careful with the acid it will flash fumes and is very irritant to the respritory system.  Take appropriate precautions when using it.