Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147zero jhp bullets

chopps

I have glocks 17/19 and m&p’s full and compact and tried several combinations with aa# 5 & 7, hp38, be86, universal clays and between all those I'm having the worst time finding something reliable/accurate wise along with plinkers. Forgot to mention I used titegroup ( nasty and snappy ) as well plus have pistol powder,power pistol and herco to try.

Tried diffirent coal's and with the primer situation I'm asking for a advice from you guys because I'm stumped.

Done alot of reading here and wondering if it's a empty rabbit hole I'm going down or is it just to heavy of a bullet, wrong powder. These flyers are not very good. Don't get me wrong I'm a 223,6.5 & 308 loader and I'm good to 1000 yds and figured rifle out on my own reading here and other forums but this 147 zero JHP is my white unicorn.

Beginning to wonder if the 147 gr bullet is best suited for a ar9mm and not good for pistol or have I not found right powder.

Fellas any pointers or advice will be greatly appreciated considering I have 8k of these little projectiles.

I load 147gr bullets almost exclusively for guns with short throats (my CZs), all with Winchester AutoComp (which I've heard is effectively similar to CFE Pistol) and I've had good experiences with several kinds of bullets. Here's some of my data off of the top of my head:

• 147gr RN Blue Bullets, 3.9gr WAC, 1.130" > About 130-135PF, easily subsonic, very comfortably suppressed out of my handguns and PCCs.
  • 147gr RN Berry's. Same as above. I don't even change my seating die between the two bullets.
  • 147gr HP Hornady XTPs, 4.1gr WAC, 1.100" > About 135PF, still subsonic and good in all of my pistols.

I've used many thousands of those heads in multiple Glock pistols for years with great results.  The only one I couldn't get them to shoot well in was my 34.  I use 3.5 grains of titegroup and seat them to 1.107, which is on the shorter side.  I've never thought of titegroup as snappy, but everyone has different experiences. 

If anyone has a thought as to why they wouldn't hold accuracy in the 34 as well, please let me know.  Thanks

10 hours ago, chopps said:

I have glocks 17/19 and m&p’s full and compact and tried several combinations with aa# 5 & 7, hp38, be86, universal clays and between all those I'm having the worst time finding something reliable/accurate wise along with plinkers. Forgot to mention I used titegroup ( nasty and snappy ) as well plus have pistol powder,power pistol and herco to try.

Tried diffirent coal's and with the primer situation I'm asking for a advice from you guys because I'm stumped.

Done alot of reading here and wondering if it's a empty rabbit hole I'm going down or is it just to heavy of a bullet, wrong powder. These flyers are not very good. Don't get me wrong I'm a 223,6.5 & 308 loader and I'm good to 1000 yds and figured rifle out on my own reading here and other forums but this 147 zero JHP is my white unicorn.

Beginning to wonder if the 147 gr bullet is best suited for a ar9mm and not good for pistol or have I not found right powder.

Fellas any pointers or advice will be greatly appreciated considering I have 8k of these little projectiles.

I shot 147 Zero JHP with 3.2 or 3.3 gr. VV N320 @ 1.125 OAL  and they were dead nuts accurate in my Glock 17 & 34  Stock Barrel. 

Chopps,

That is one of the most accurate 147 grain bullets in my 1911.  Every gun is different, but the most accurate loads in mine were:

3.8 grns W231

4.0 grns CFE

3.5 grns AA#2

4.5 grns True Blue

Don’t give up!

13 hours ago, 85win said:

Chopps,

That is one of the most accurate 147 grain bullets in my 1911.  Every gun is different, but the most accurate loads in mine were:

3.8 grns W231

4.0 grns CFE

3.5 grns AA#2

4.5 grns True Blue

Don’t give up!

Don't plan on it been doing this over 10 years now and I don't take failure well.

I have had good success with 3.2-3.5 gr of VV N320 in several different Glock pistols and 2 1911’s with lead, coated, and jacketed 147 grain bullets.  Another good powder I have used is Power Pistol, a little loud and has some muzzle flash but is very accurate.  

18 minutes ago, ysrracer said:

Where are you guys buying Zero bullets. The only prices I can find have doubled in the last few years.

http://www.rozedist.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=RZD&Category_Code=ZB-9MM

https://benstoegerproshop.com/zero-9mm-147-gr-jacketed-hollow-point-jhp-bullet-projectiles-2-000/

https://czcustom.com/products/zero-bullets/9mm.html

https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/product-category/reloading-supplies/bullets/pistol/?filter_brand=zero&query_type_brand=or

Seems finding quantities that are available is hit or miss........and prices have definitely gone up!  But what hasn't?  

Been satisfied using Precision Deltas as a backup!

👍

5 hours ago, chopps said:

Don't plan on it been doing this over 10 years now and I don't take failure well.

Did you happen to measure the bullets you have for size? Maybe undersized? Just seems odd that they don’t shoot well in that many guns. Are you over crimping them? Are you a lousy shot?😁 Just kidding…

1 hour ago, Farmer said:

Did you happen to measure the bullets you have for size? Maybe undersized? Just seems odd that they don’t shoot well in that many guns. Are you over crimping them? Are you a lousy shot?😁 Just kidding…

Beginning to come to the conclusion that I'm spinning them up way to fast. 

I think youre right the more data I see and results. To damn hard headed I am.

Crimp is about 0.376 

This is why I brought it here for help because I got frustrated.

TIA

147 coated and FMJ have been my go to for years and have been accurate in everything (2011, 1911, M&Ps, Canik, Glock, CZs) - with the exception of my Sig X5 Legion. Nothing in 147 flew straight with that one, but it seems to be a common complaint in Legions.

I used to use TG, but went to n320 as it's a little softer imo but much cleaner. But I didn't notice any accuracy issues with TG. I crimp very lightly- just to get the bell out. And I load OAL as long as I can and still plunk & spin.  With 147s being longer...  if you get too deep you can start running into the thickening of the case down at the web. I don't use JHPs, but i'd guess they're a little longer still to account for the HP

10 minutes ago, OptimiStick said:

147 coated and FMJ have been my go to for years and have been accurate in everything (2011, 1911, M&Ps, Canik, Glock, CZs) - with the exception of my Sig X5 Legion. Nothing in 147 flew straight with that one, but it seems to be a common complaint in Legions.

I used to use TG, but went to n320 as it's a little softer imo but much cleaner. But I didn't notice any accuracy issues with TG. I crimp very lightly- just to get the bell out. And I load OAL as long as I can and still plunk & spin.  With 147s being longer...  if you get too deep you can start running into the thickening of the case down at the web. I don't use JHPs, but i'd guess they're a little longer still to account for the HP

I tried coal's from 1.095 all the way up to 1.150 and seemed that 1.100 and 1.130 seemed to be about same pattern which were best. When I called the mfg they said 1.095 to 1.105 but all that is irrelavent now because I was loading so hot, hence the what I call "flinging" instead a spinning projectile when leaving barrel.

Edited by chopps

3.4 gr with n320 is my usual load which is about 130 PF. I bump it up to 3.5 with jacketed, so definitely not hot. I don't see any of my old load data handy for TG. I think I was loading 3.2gr, but don't take my word for it.

my OALs are 1.1450 except for my CZ S2 which I load to 1.1250 because it's a short leade

9 minutes ago, OptimiStick said:

3.4 gr with n320 is my usual load which is about 130 PF. I bump it up to 3.5 with jacketed, so definitely not hot. I don't see any of my old load data handy for TG. I think I was loading 3.2gr, but don't take my word for it.

my OALs are 1.1450 except for my CZ S2 which I load to 1.1250 because it's a short leade

I'll have my n320 next week to test with as well.

2 hours ago, chopps said:

I'll have my n320 next week to test with as well.

Make sure you haven’t leaded your bbl’s too. Had that happen just recently and nothing shot worth a darn. Mine was right at the throat. Right now I’m trying to figure out a 135 RMR JRN that’s giving me fits. Using 3.1 E3 1.115 OAL and they are right at 130pf and shoot soft. If I load them in Hornaday brass they shoot like this, off hand at 30’. 2BDFE715-D4F4-420A-B601-7FD731FB62CA.thumb.jpeg.da65994f8bab0837b4b3f0e67ea68868.jpeg

If I load them in anything else with exactly the same components they’re about a 5”-6” group. Thought it was me but I can grab those others and just about reproduce the same group. I did find some discrepancies in some of the others and have corrected that now so we’ll see what happens. The German in me won’t let me give up! 😁

• 2 weeks later...

Well so far the only powder "I" have had any luck with is the aa#2 and it was ok for plinking.

I loaded up some 115,124's and had much better results had to boost my ego . I did try universal clays,aa#5,aa#7, hp-38, n320 and titegroup. I do believe I had just about the same results with #2 and titegroup 10yds 2/3 inch group but I still have allient power pistol/sport pistol to try.

I got 8k of these bullets so I got to shoot them or sell them and don't need 1/2 of what I got.

Thanks guys and I'll keep trying.

Edited by chopps

On 1/19/2023 at 7:49 PM, chopps said:

Well so far the only powder "I" have had any luck with is the aa#2 and it was ok for plinking.

I loaded up some 115,124's and had much better results had to boost my ego . I did try universal clays,aa#5,aa#7, hp-38, n320 and titegroup. I do believe I had just about the same results with #2 and titegroup 10yds 2/3 inch group but I still have allient power pistol/sport pistol to try.

I got 8k of these bullets so I got to shoot them or sell them and don't need 1/2 of what I got.

Thanks guys and I'll keep trying.

@choppsIf your still working with 124 JHPs, this is a test load that I was working up prior to changing platforms........

Don't give up on the N320!

👍

4.1 N320 + Zero 125 JHP-C.png

2 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

@choppsIf your still working with 124 JHPs, this is a test load that I was working up prior to changing platforms........

Don't give up on the N320!

👍

4.1 N320 + Zero 125 JHP-C.png

Yeah the 125 c treat me close to what you do and so do the mg's but those darn 147's well half of them need new home.