Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Small Primer Stuck in Pick Up Tube

I must be lucky. I grew up in Scottsdale AZ and have been loading on Dillon's since the mid 80s, (in fact my buddy was married to Mike Dillon's daughter) and have yet to get a primer stuck in a tube.

What gives?

21 hours ago, ysrracer said:

I must be lucky. I grew up in Scottsdale AZ and have been loading on Dillon's since the mid 80s, (in fact my buddy was married to Mike Dillon's daughter) and have yet to get a primer stuck in a tube.

What gives?

During the previous great primer shortage, or was it the one before that?  I bought a bunch of Winchester small (rifle or pistol? can't remember which) that had an occasional oddly sized or shaped primer that would somehow get wedged in a primer tube.  I haven't had problems with stuck primers before or after that batch.  I also had more than a few crunched primers trying to seat them, they worked fine once loaded.  Again, haven't had that problem since.

Nolan

47 minutes ago, Nolan said:

During the previous great primer shortage, or was it the one before that?  I bought a bunch of Winchester small (rifle or pistol? can't remember which) that had an occasional oddly sized or shaped primer that would somehow get wedged in a primer tube.  I haven't had problems with stuck primers before or after that batch.  I also had more than a few crunched primers trying to seat them, they worked fine once loaded.  Again, haven't had that problem since.

Nolan

same,,, probably small pistol.. Had about 1 bad primer in every box of 100 if not more.
Stuck in tubes, no priming compund, a large primer in the box with the smalls.

• 3 weeks later...

This is old but, where in the tube is it stuck? If its very near an end, which was the case for one of mine, use a hacksaw and slowly cut 1/2 inch past it then debur the end inside and out and now you have a tube that take 95.

DAA has a good price on color coded anodized tubes. The ends are OK not great and their retaining pins need some tweaking they come too loose and it sucks when they fall out.

Mcmaster carr sells the tubes in 6' lengths that could be cut down and dillon ends put on for very cheap

If you are using a primer filler DAA has red caps for the tubes instead of the standard picker heads

30 minutes ago, m700 said:

This is old but, where in the tube is it stuck? If its very near an end, which was the case for one of mine, use a hacksaw and slowly cut 1/2 inch past it then debur the end inside and out and now you have a tube that take 95.

DAA has a good price on color coded anodized tubes. The ends are OK not great and their retaining pins need some tweaking they come too loose and it sucks when they fall out.

Mcmaster carr sells the tubes in 6' lengths that could be cut down and dillon ends put on for very cheap

If you are using a primer filler DAA has red caps for the tubes instead of the standard picker heads

My OCD won't allow me to have 28 regular length primer tubes and one short one. It would bother me until I got rid of it, then throwing away a tube I could have saved if I hadn't cut it would bother me some more. 

Not saying this behavior is smart or rational, it just is there.

On 1/18/2023 at 3:07 PM, robertg5322 said:

My OCD won't allow me to have 28 regular length primer tubes and one short one. It would bother me until I got rid of it, then throwing away a tube I could have saved if I hadn't cut it would bother me some more. 

Not saying this behavior is smart or rational, it just is there.

If you have 28 than I suppose its acceptable to toss 1. I had 5 lg and 5 small. So I ordered a 10 pack from DAA that was supposed to be split sm/lg. It was all small so now I have too many. I liked the thought of opening a box of 1000 primers filling all my tubes and getting to loading. Now I HAVE to load 15, well 16 really as I dump one immediately and reload it. I think Im automating next year so maybe ill get 5 more small to round it out.

• 1 month later...