Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which shadow 2?

SkimpShooter

I would suggest that you begin shooting USPSA shooting with your G34.  Familiarize yourself with the courses of fire, observe what other competitors are using, ask questions, and educate yourself so you are better positioned to make a good decision prior to the purchase of a new pistol.  Such an approach will almost certainly result in something that best fits your needs.  But it's a personal decision, and your money.  Good luck.

That's really sound advise. Ty. I just feel anxious to buy a shadow 2 to start practicing. I do need to buy a new belt, holster and mag pouches for my g34 so I will take your advise and use the g34 first. Merry Christmas 

Edited by SkimpShooter

5 hours ago, SkimpShooter said:

I'm wanting to buy a shadow 2 for CO. I can't decide to buy a used shadow 2 and have it milled or buy the optic ready version. What are your thoughts? I have not shot uspsa yet, been shooting idpa with a g34.  

I have a good number of optics equipped Glocks and CZs.  My Glocks are gen 3s so I had to have them milled.  Some of my CZs do not have the option to come OEM optics ready and some (P-10C, P-10F, Shadow 2) do.

Some optic plate systems are less than well engineered (Glock, SIG, S&W).  Others, like CZ, are very well engineered with all steel components and recoil bosses between the slide and the plate. 

For that reason every time that I buy a CZ that has the option of their optic plate system I get it instead of the version that doesn't.

If you want a Shadow 2 for CO, get the Optics Ready version.  The real advantage to be able to mount any optic available on the market is worth 10,000X more than the theoretical "advantage" of having two fewer screws in the mounting system.

I'm often amused and confused at the number of people who have optic mounting failures.  It's like they don't even have the most basic of mechanical skills.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a new holster and pouches for your Glock if you plan on switching to a Shadow. If you want to wait on getting the Shadow, that makes sense but I would recommend using what you had for IDPA until you're ready to make the switch. no reason to have a bunch of extra gear. I shot my first year of USPSA with extra mags in my back pocket and a cheap holster.

As far as which Shadow to get, I'd definitely go for the Optic Ready, the plate system works well as long as you get the right steel plates from CZ, and you can use the iron sights until you decide which dot you want to get.

Edited by bravofox
additional information

OP: Are you going to want to shoot the Shadow 2 in IDPA Carry Optics division as well as USPSA’s CO division?  

Reason I ask, and somebody correct me if I am wrong, is I thought IDPA’s CO division has a weight limit of 45 oz.  Without optic, I believe the S2 OR weighs in around 46-47 oz, so too heavy for IDPA’s CO division without putting it on a diet.  For USPSA it’s a non-factor since the weight limit is 59 oz.

I had my Shadow 2’s milled for an optic a while back.  This was before the OR model was available and before USPSA increased the weight limit so I also had some slide lightening cuts done and my guns come in at 44.1 oz with empty mag and optic.  I only shoot IDPA once or twice a year (and club level matches at that) and near as I can tell they are IDPA legal for weight.  

Something to think about…

I didn't use my g34 in IDPA, I used a 9mm 1911 single stack. Looking on the benstoeger site, it looks like all of the double stack mag pouches will work with the cz mags and also the g34 mags. Does this sound correct? If so, I can order mag pouches, belt and get a cheap holster for the g34, then When I get the cz, I would only need a holster. What are you thoughts?  Ty

2 hours ago, SkimpShooter said:

I didn't use my g34 in IDPA, I used a 9mm 1911 single stack. Looking on the benstoeger site, it looks like all of the double stack mag pouches will work with the cz mags and also the g34 mags. Does this sound correct? If so, I can order mag pouches, belt and get a cheap holster for the g34, then When I get the cz, I would only need a holster. What are you thoughts?  Ty

Most of the adjustable mag pouches would work for both (DAA, CR speed and ghost)