Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winchester small pistol primers?

ysrracer

Anybody using Winchester small pistol primers? I can get them pretty easily, Federal Small Pistol Primers are still unobtainium.

Did you need to increase the main spring? Right now my trigger pull is under six pounds.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, so far 100,764 wsp and wspm and they all go bang, but I have switched to Russia primers their cheaper and they go bang too.  I only shoot revolvers, so they definitely work in GP100's and Blackhawks.

Your mileage may very.

Edited by dannyd

I didn't have any trouble with cci or ww primers just had to increase hammer fall by about 8 ounces.

But that kept me below 6lb action weight.

But I've done everything to reduce friction on both the action and hammer falls.

2 hours ago, Cherokeewind said:

So this is funny. I loaded up eight rounds with Winchester small pistol primers, and they all went bang the first time.

My gun has a six pound trigger, and is modified internally and also has a longer firing pin.

More testing is needed, but I'm happy.

6 hours ago, ysrracer said:

So this is funny. I loaded up eight rounds with Winchester small pistol primers, and they all went bang the first time.

My gun has a six pound trigger, and is modified internally and also has a longer firing pin.

More testing is needed, but I'm happy.

Fully seated they have worked ok in all of my revo's, I have some as back up in case I run low on Fed's, but I have had a few more issues when reloading the brass and seating them, they seem just a bit more difficult at times. after running several thousand of them I would maybe get 3 light strikes per 1000. If you can get them and can't find fed's I would go for them. I have used them in 627, 929, 986, 610, 625, and gp100's. Like I said I just have a bit more problems in the press, and I generally crush maybe 3 of them out of every 100. Don't know if it's me or they are sized a bit different but harder to use for me than using Fed's.

Edited by mchapman

19 hours ago, dannyd said:

Winchester are not really harder than Federals I don't think, but it's the way cup is made Winchester is rounded and Federal is flat.  But I don't have problem with ether.

This is a fairly recent development i think.  I read somewhere (i know i know) that Winchester did change there cups within last 2 years to make them more sensitive.

My guns, with what would be considered much to light at 4lbs to work at all, will set off 99/100 Winchesters... They can easily be tuned up to set off Winchesters 100%...

2 hours ago, NoSteel said:

My 929 ~6lbs will have trouble setting off a primer or 2 out of 100 with reloads.  Winchester factory ammo,  I get click or click click every cylinder.  Always go off the 2nd time around though!!

I have found that winchester AND federal factory will have some problems just like that. The fix that I have found is to use a hand primer and reseat the factory rounds and most of the light strikes go away. They just are not seated deep enough even coming from the factory.

4 hours ago, mchapman said:

I have found that winchester AND federal factory will have some problems just like that. The fix that I have found is to use a hand primer and reseat the factory rounds and most of the light strikes go away. They just are not seated deep enough even coming from the factory.

Most of the light strikes go away?

Pass.

I couldn't get mine to run with any factory ammo. I finally settled on Federal Small Pistol Primers, Federal brass, TK .035 moon clips, 147gr Blue Bullets, and 3.0gr of Clays powder. 

It runs 100 percent now. 

9 hours ago, ysrracer said:

Most of the light strikes go away?

Pass.

I couldn't get mine to run with any factory ammo. I finally settled on Federal Small Pistol Primers, Federal brass, TK .035 moon clips, 147gr Blue Bullets, and 3.0gr of Clays powder. 

It runs 100 percent now. 

Some of the guys I know do not reload and have to use factory, the win. and the fed syntec were giving them a lot of light strikes. once they started to hand seat the primers, the feds ran 100% and the win would have maybe 1-2 light strikes per 1000. But who knows, a short stroke gives the same feeling some what and I've done the same thing and watched others doing it also. But then I guess what I'm saying is even using feds and reloading your self it's still possible to have some light strikes though hopefully not many and not in a match.

52 minutes ago, mchapman said:

Some of the guys I know do not reload and have to use factory, the win. and the fed syntec were giving them a lot of light strikes. once they started to hand seat the primers, the feds ran 100% and the win would have maybe 1-2 light strikes per 1000. But who knows, a short stroke gives the same feeling some what and I've done the same thing and watched others doing it also. But then I guess what I'm saying is even using feds and reloading your self it's still possible to have some light strikes though hopefully not many and not in a match.

Agreed