Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking Of Getting Into 3 Gun What Do I Need?

XAFSP

After getting into SASS I thought I would also modernize and look into 3 gun. What would I need? Beginner stuff.

pistol: .40 S&W, 9mm, or 45? I asume only one( easier to reaload an auto than a single action :lol::lol::lol: )

rifle: Will be AR-15 ( I flew an M-16 for 8+years in the service) Which brand is better? personal preferance. scoped or not? Barrel length?

Shotgun: pump or auto? 12gauge I assume, barrel length, LE style or ???

Where can I get the rules??? is it USPSA or?????

Thanks

Tim

Edited by XAFSP

Everything Benny said (and he can build all of it for you ;) ), plus...

...3-5 good 30 round mags for the AR, plus a couple of 20's. A 40 round Sterling (if you can find it) or a new 45 rd DPMS mag for good measure.

...shotgun side saddles, etc from 3-gungear.com, belt shell carriers from California Comp Works.

...a good supply of quality ammo.

...someone to kick you in the groin in order to wipe the about to be permanently installed smile on your face b/c you've never had this much fun with your clothes on, or possibly off. ;)

...someone to kick you in the groin in order to wipe the about to be permanently installed smile on your face b/c you've never had this much fun with your clothes on, or possibly off. ;)

MMMM I think it would be a little hard to shoot nekked. You at least need sneakers. :P:P

Tim

while I think that most of these questions are amply answered in the forum., here is a quick response.

1) Call Bennie at Triangle Shooting Sports and give him $$$

2) Get a .40 pistol (from Bennie)

3) Use an AR15 from a manufacturer which supports the 3 gunning i.e. DPMS or DSA or Sabre or Cav Arms and send it to bennie, accuracy speaks or MTSN to get it tricked out or just get a JP. 18 or 20 in barrel. Shoot with a scope.

4) Get a Benelli M1 or M2 and send it to Bennie.

5) Give Bennie $$

Rules?? There are different 3 gun organization and they often have different rules. there is much discussion of the various rules on the forum.

Do what Benny and Kelly say and don't look back. Always buy the best rig you can afford to start with, don't cheap out. Trial and error will learn ya' OK, but it will take several sets of gear before you get it right on your own. Just do what Benny says and your money will be spent well the first time out.

Most of the rules you will run into are stowed here: http://www.3gunrules.com/documents/multi-gun-rules/

Welcome to 3gun :-)

• 3 weeks later...

+1 to what all have siad. You will love it and never look back.

Even If it takes longer, take this advice, BUY THE GOOD STUFF THE FIRST TIME OUT.

Benny would not steer you wrong. You never want to be wondering if the equipment is holding you back. You want to practice up and shoot to the ability of the equipment. Don't settle for it will do until I get better at this game.

AMMO AMMO AMMO AMMO

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

FUN FUN FUN FUN

Good luck !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, I'll go against the grain and say, look in your safe and shoot what you have first or borrow equipment to see if you even like 3-gunning before investing in mega equipment. Not all of us have the money to buy the best right away. Think of it like a starter home...one day you'll own that dream house and you'll appreciate it more when you know what you want. Get good with what you have and as you get better and grow, so will your equipment.

• 5 weeks later...
Ok, I'll go against the grain and say, look in your safe and shoot what you have first or borrow equipment to see if you even like 3-gunning before investing in mega equipment. Not all of us have the money to buy the best right away. Think of it like a starter home...one day you'll own that dream house and you'll appreciate it more when you know what you want. Get good with what you have and as you get better and grow, so will your equipment.

I agree. Shoot at least a few matches (or even a season) with what you have or with borrowed equipment. I know a fellow who bought some expensive gear to start with and found out later that 3gun was not his thing.

I have a fairly modest investment and have more fun than I paid for.

Edited by jacketch

• 2 weeks later...

I know it's late, but after Bennie takes all of your money, you have to re-learn your real name!!. I doubt many 3-gunners at the range will continue to call you by your SASS nickname without laughing afterwards!! hahaha..

Just kidding (not about money/Bennie)

Bring your SASS stuff. You have a pistol/shotgun/rifle already, shoot 'em!!

You will still love it!

• 2 weeks later...

I too am in the "run what ya got" camp for at least a couple matches.

First, some of us like LTD or LTD10 pistols, others like Production, others like full race Open guns. Same is true in rifles, some like the battle rifle as the US Army issued it, some like a tactical rifle with a low power scope, and some folks like a full race gun with a tank brake, bipod, two optics, adjustable everything. And then shotguns, well, some like to pump it themselves, the rest let it work by itself, and we have folks that like optics and brakes and ports and speedloaders while the rest stuff shells by hand and have iron sights. And you have to figure out what type of equipment you want to run. So:

Most of us have or can borrow a pump or auto 12 gauge shotgun. Heck, a double with auto-ejectors won't put you far behind if you practice the loading a bit;

Most of us have or can borrow an AR15, Mini-14, M-1, FN-FAL, M-14, M-1 Carbine, SKS, or AK-something, or even a Remington Model 8 or Enfield of some vintage;

Most of us have or can borrow an autopistol or revolver and speedloaders.

Pick one from each column, go to the range and make sure that they work and that the zeros are good. Then go shoot a couple matches. After you have seen everybody else's gear and figured out what you want to run, you can go out and start spending money on what you want in a rifle, pistol, and shotgun. Who knows, maybe you won't like it so much. Yeah, right. I even bought my first shotgun so that I could play the whole game.

I am seriously in the cheap camp, being as I shoot a 45 that I have owned since 1980, built my own AR15 flat top upper with a low power scope to go on an AR15 I already had, and bought a low bucks used M1100 that I added pieces to and played with until I liked it. If you can not do your own 'smithing really well, my route is not yours - go to someone who knows the stuff, like Bennie or Accuracy Speaks or the others mentioned above.

Billski

As long as you bring ammo (sometimes you don't even need that) you can go to a 3 gun match & at least try out some of the toys. I have yet to hear a "no" in all my years. 3 gunners like USPSA shooters are too nice not to share.