Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tips on cleaning a 22LR barrel after serious use

Nick_shoots_fast

I got a little 22 trainer gun and plan on shooting it a lot. A lot as in 500 + rounds a week until the spring time and worried about how to clean this without ruining the barrel. 

I do have an ultra sonic cleaner with simple green that I use. I guess I can just drop it in that after I put 500+ rounds through it? 

When I was competing in college 3P on ISU target at 50' (0.008" 10) with an Anschutz free rifle, I was able to easily clean prone with no cleaning for 3 years (~10k rounds).  Very little cleaning is ever needed with .22LR with a quality barrel and reasonably good ammunition.

I've always used a plastic bristle brush. Use a regular solvent and a patch. I never clean without a bore guide and always only going 1 way through the barrel. I take off the brush and the jag before pulling the rod back out.

Regrettably, a lot of .22 rimfire barrels are very soft.  Abuse that your AR-15 or bolt-action hunting gun may tolerate will not fly with those soft barrels.

I use Bore-Snakes on my rimfires, unless it's that rare deep cleaning.  Then it's a stainless Pro-Shot rod with appropriate nylon brush, solvent, and patches.

On 12/2/2022 at 6:32 PM, Ronemus said:

When I was competing in college 3P on ISU target at 50' (0.008" 10) with an Anschutz free rifle, I was able to easily clean prone with no cleaning for 3 years (~10k rounds).  Very little cleaning is ever needed with .22LR with a quality barrel and reasonably good ammunition.

I agree! It is important to clean the chamber to eliminate the carbon ring that forms right at the end of the case mouth.  The rest of the barrel can just be swabbed out unless you get heavy lead build up from shooting cheap ammo like Remington Thunderbolts.  I use a bore snake with the brass brush removed.

As far as the ultrasonic, use a solution specific for firearms like Lyman, Hornady, etc... rather than simple green.

Nolan

Edited by Nolan
DOH! auto-correct

I recently purchase an ultra sonic cleaner. I used Hornday US cleaner.

I have a Colt Match Target (yes it is about 60 years old and is awesome.

I do not ever want to do a complete tear down like I do my SVs.

Recently, I took of the stocks and put it completely inside the cleaner.  

Lube it.

Shot a .22 match  with it - performed perfectly.

• 2 weeks later...