Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Canik rival chamber throating

Bakerjd

Hi all. New to this forum and looking for a source for throating my Rival. I'm having the same issue: 125gr HAP loaded at 1.08 that all the rest of my pistols love, chokes the bejesus out of my Rival. I can't find anyone around Chicago so far. Could people suggest places I could send the barrel and dummies for throating? TIA.

Edited by KevinMunday
error

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, KevinMunday said:

Hi all. New to this forum and looking for a source for throating my Rival. I'm having the same issue: 125gr HAP loaded at 1.08 that all the rest of my pistols love, chokes the bejesus out of my Rival. I can't find anyone around Chicago so far. Could people suggest places I could send the barrel and dummies for throating? TIA.

Chokes? Meaning you’re having feed problems? Or it won’t plunk/spin without touching the rifling? 

if it’s the latter… at 1.08” ….. wow. Just wow. 👀 

Doug Philips is a good one.  He's Cylinderhone on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/Cylinderhone-756429174391912/

you send him the dummy rounds and barrel, and he can ream as well as cut/ crown , or any feedramp shaping or polishing you want done. Also a pretty fast turn-around. He's been around a long while.  If you hit him up on messenger he'll walk you though pricing and options. Hes done about 5-6 for me and I've been happy with the work.

1 hour ago, Dirty_J said:

Chokes? Meaning you’re having feed problems? Or it won’t plunk/spin without touching the rifling? 

if it’s the latter… at 1.08” ….. wow. Just wow. 👀 

Won't plonk/spin, but of course I learned this the hard way at the range where it grabbed rifling and locked the hell out of it. Because it was so happy with my Berry's/Xtreme round nose, I didn't plonk first. Now. I. Know. 

19 minutes ago, OptimiStick said:

Doug Philips is a good one.  He's Cylinderhone on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/Cylinderhone-756429174391912/

you send him the dummy rounds and barrel, and he can ream as well as cut/ crown , or any feedramp shaping or polishing you want done. Also a pretty fast turn-around. He's been around a long while.  If you hit him up on messenger he'll walk you though pricing and options. Hes done about 5-6 for me and I've been happy with the work.

Thank you!

Here's more data from other loads around the house:
124gr Berry's RN 1.50 FINE
124gr Xtreme RN 1.60 FINE
115gr Xtreme RN 1.60 FINE
124gr Berry's target HP NOT EVEN CLOSE
147gr Xtreme target HP NOT EVEN CLOSE
124gr Summit City RN has to go to 1.08 to plonk/spin

It just hates bullets with slow ogives.

I'll have to check my Rival again. My pet load is Precision 147 flat nose, which since Dave redid the profile a few years back - fits shorter chambers okay including the Rival. But I do have a collection of some less forgiving profiles I can check it with. Berrys and Xtremes. I typically don't do HPs as they tend to have the problem you're seeing in tighter chambers. 

I'd just have it reamed and then you can shoot anything.

Only place i know will 100% throat a coated barrel lime the canik or CZ DLC/Black Nitride barrels in Patriot Defense. They just got their custom reamer back so I'll be shipping mine off to them soon. 

As for using different bullets, running them shorter ect... I am far far to lazy and cheap to have multiple 9 minor loads. I load what works in my main gun, an A01LD with a throated chamber. It's amazing how loading a little longer solves a lot of feeding issues. 

• 1 month later...

Rival-S is here and some of my factory ammo is not passing the plunk test.  Not happy with this but I'll send the barrel in to Patriot and have it reamed.  My TP9 SFX is good to go with everything I have.

I sent an email to Canik about the shorter throats on the Rival and Rival-S barrels.  I don't expect them to really answer my question but it made me feel good!

11 hours ago, WxGuy said:

Rival-S is here and some of my factory ammo is not passing the plunk test.  Not happy with this but I'll send the barrel in to Patriot and have it reamed.  My TP9 SFX is good to go with everything I have.

I sent an email to Canik about the shorter throats on the Rival and Rival-S barrels.  I don't expect them to really answer my question but it made me feel good!

This is concerning to hear this from this thread :(

so i bought a new rival sfx

it worked fine (plunked) with WWB 115 grain.  And Federal 115 gr.

anything else the ogive was different and wouldnt work

i sent it to Cylinderhone

it pinned a tight .356 in the throat, meaning it wouldnt go in

he throated it to .358

he also said its too hard on reamers and wont do any more

so id say send them to freedom to throat.  I also had him crown the barrel

i didnt have any tooling badass enough or id have done it myself

IDK why they throat them so tight.  otheer than that i love the thing

Have you noticed any change in accuracy after the performed work?  How much crown did you have done, 11 degrees or more?

I'm sending in my Rival S barrel to Patriot Defense on Monday.  If Canik ever makes enough to sell as spares, I'll have that one throated too.  I did send an email to Jarvis about offering a Rival S barrel since they have tooling for Walther barrels.  If they come back and say they need a barrel to pattern I'll gladly send mine to them.  I have a TP9 SFX to shoot and other guns too.

I reached out to Jarvis about the possibility for them to machine a barrel for the Caniks and their reply is they do not have any plans to support the Canik line at this time.

14 hours ago, WxGuy said:

Have you noticed any change in accuracy after the performed work?  How much crown did you have done, 11 degrees or more?

I'm sending in my Rival S barrel to Patriot Defense on Monday.  If Canik ever makes enough to sell as spares, I'll have that one throated too.  I did send an email to Jarvis about offering a Rival S barrel since they have tooling for Walther barrels.  If they come back and say they need a barrel to pattern I'll gladly send mine to them.  I have a TP9 SFX to shoot and other guns too.

Its supposed to be back tomorrow.  I just had it done.   He did the crown, i didnt have any input as i just didnt know.  He said it was not concentric with the bore.   If it gets here, ill report back, although i have a long honeydo list for this weekend...ha

I cant imagine getting the throat right is going to hurt it, and im very happy ill be able to use the same reload i use in my other stuff

On 3/3/2023 at 6:31 AM, WxGuy said:

I shot some through it this weekend.

i was trying to work on speeding up for a while, so accuracy suffered.  When i focused on accuracy, i do feel it has gotten better.

More importantly im confident in all of my reloads being able to run it the gun, even out to 1.155, which is longer than normal for me

As for degrees i didnt ask him.  Im assuming he did minimum to clean.  He did say it was def not square from Canik

All in all, worth it to me to not have to special load s#!t for this gun, and have feeding issues from short rounds as well

• 5 months later...
3 hours ago, midatlantic said:

fwiw just bought a rival, plastic, and its run 147s that work in s2 and federal 124s fine. 

My plastic Rival initially ran well. Started choking after a few thousand rounds. I had moved to that since my S had issues nearly immediately. Now that the plastic doesn't run reliably I've started working through potential fixes for the S. I believe in the guns conceptually, hopefully they can be dialed in.

Good luck.

6 hours ago, midatlantic said:

could you describe the "choking?" 

Failing to feed. The Caniks were super weird, because I had two different malfunctions that appeared similar. Like many others I suffered the magazine over insertion issue, which I initially thought was round catching on the feed ramp. I don't think every gun does this, but mine do. What was really weird was sometimes my guns failed to feed and the malfunction was hard to clear, took remedial action and other times just pulling back slightly on the slide and releasing was enough to easily clear. The thing was sometimes the mag was over inserting (hard to clear) and other times the rounds were just hanging up on the feed ramp. The new Henning pads solved the over insertion issue, but I still get rounds that hang on the ramp, preventing feeding and leaving the action open. They clear easily, but I'm trying to get the guns to the point I can use them for USPSA.

I'm not a technical expert, so I've just been reading what others have done to try and get mine running. I'm hoping the combination of Henning pads, the lower power (blue) recoil spring assembly and reaming the chamber will get them 100%.

• 3 weeks later...

just got my S barrel back from Patriot.........I could NOT get this S to run at all, stock, spring changes, polishing, etc.....nothing worked. Canik sent me a new barrel and extractor spring.....EXACT same issues, FTEs all the time, ammo didnt matter , everything from 115gr to 147gr and from .011 to .015. I had nothing to lose so I sent out my original barrel....tried it today and it runs everything.....accuracy has not suffered. FINALLY

6 hours ago, pumpedTSI said:

just got my S barrel back from Patriot.........I could NOT get this S to run at all, stock, spring changes, polishing, etc.....nothing worked. Canik sent me a new barrel and extractor spring.....EXACT same issues, FTEs all the time, ammo didnt matter , everything from 115gr to 147gr and from .011 to .015. I had nothing to lose so I sent out my original barrel....tried it today and it runs everything.....accuracy has not suffered. FINALLY

i try to tell everyone this is the biggest issue

over insertion i see as an issue, but the chamber throating is f'in magic

and its cheap

Wait, forget that.  Anyone wanting to toss their gun into the woodchipper ill buy it for cheap from you...lol

Glad it worked.  It made my plastic gun 100% reliable to the point i want an S now just because i like the heavier gun

11 hours ago, goneracin said:

i try to tell everyone this is the biggest issue

over insertion i see as an issue, but the chamber throating is f'in magic

and its cheap

Wait, forget that.  Anyone wanting to toss their gun into the woodchipper ill buy it for cheap from you...lol

Glad it worked.  It made my plastic gun 100% reliable to the point i want an S now just because i like the heavier gun

I find it funny how everyone poops on the Rival chamber needing "fixing", but over in the CZ forum its basically known as something you should do even before using the gun.