Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Canik rival chamber throating

Bakerjd

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, GigG said:

What OAL are your normal reloads and bullet type?

Round nose. And 1.130".  I wasn't surprised my loads didn't fit as both my actual CO guns I had to ream. But the syntech surprised me considering it's federal and uspsa sponsored. I assumed it would fit. Ahh well. Off to the bench the barrel goes. 

4 minutes ago, Dan Sierpina said:

Not all round nose bullets are shaped the same. What brand are you using, what weight. Vague information will result in vague answers.

I'm not asking about what bullet profile will work. I'm just asking if anyone has had a shop ream the barrel yet. A lot of places won't do DLC coated barrels and I am trying to save time and hassle emailing a bunch of places. So the info I provided was exactly what was needed to get the answer to my question. 

Interesting. I don’t find the throat to be all that short on my Rival. 

I load a Brass Monkey Bullets 130gr RN for mine at 1.12” and it fits/plunks fine. 

The mold for your bullet maker has to have a very chunky ogive. 

I’d shorten the load before reaming a barrel. That’s a last resort for me. 

As for syntech… meh. It’s too hot a load for my liking. Hard pass. 

2 hours ago, Dan Sierpina said:

The surface treatment makes it very hard, a carbide reamer might do it, but, may chip, destroying the tool. Cheap way out is fit the ammo to the barrel. My Rival runs SNS 125 RN at 1.130 with no problems. 

Really? I use sns 135s @1.130 and they didn't fit it. I have some 125s I had bought for 9 major then figured out why nobody uses coated bullets for that. Lol. Maybe I'll use those. I love the SNS bullets because they seem to usually be better for longer loading. 

And incase anyone is wondering Patriot Defense will ream DLC ect.. coated barrels. 

I have not heard of anyone that had the barrel reamed yet. I am sure in time you will be able to get an aftermarket barrel with a longer throat if you like. To your point, the throat is shorter than any pistol I have ever reloaded for. I pulled the OAL back to 1.10 and just ran with that to avoid any headache. No problems after that.

Edited by ngodwetrust21

20 hours ago, ngodwetrust21 said:

I have not heard of anyone that had the barrel reamed yet. I am sure in time you will be able to get an aftermarket barrel with a longer throat if you like. To your point, the throat is shorter than any pistol I have ever reloaded for. I pulled the OAL back to 1.10 and just ran with that to avoid any headache. No problems after that.

That's what I'm going to do for now. I was going through my stash of bullets last night and found a 1000ct box of brass monkey 147s so I figured why not just figure out what OAL will work with this barrel and do a new load. I've been wanting to try out cleanshot powder anyways as well. 

I know my 40cal 2011's really hated short loads - causing all kinds of feeding problems.. pushed my 200gr bb out to 1.185 and all problems solved.
backing this logic into the current discussion - if your 9mm feeds short oal, there is no need to risk reaming the chamber.

That said - I was shocked at how short I had to load for a few of my CZs for brass monkey 127gr.

Edited by scroadkill

On 11/12/2022 at 5:34 AM, scroadkill said:

I know my 40cal 2011's really hated short loads - causing all kinds of feeding problems.. pushed my 200gr bb out to 1.185 and all problems solved.
backing this logic into the current discussion - if your 9mm feeds short oal, there is no need to risk reaming the chamber.

That said - I was shocked at how short I had to load for a few of my CZs for brass monkey 127gr.

Isn't really any risk involved so ling as someone who knows how to do it does it. 

As for why I want to have it done. My normal load OAL for 9 minor is 1.130 with an SNS 135GN bullet. Runs 100% is my tanfo Stock 2 and CZ A01LD. I'd like to be able to only have one minor and one major load as it's tedious to reset the RL1100. Although thus could be a good reason to get another one......

• 1 month later...

ME too, I at least check every 9 mm barrel. Not all need anything but now and then one will, usually near the case mouth. #2. Seems the profile on the painted bullets does make a difference ....  OAL is normally a bit shorter. Shockbottle all.

Mine is pretty short!🙄

I don’t want to ream the barrel but I want to keep my reloads the same and have them work for every gun.   Not sure what I’m gonna do at the moment. Right now I’be still got 5 TP9SFX set up. So, not in a hurry. 

3 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

Mine is pretty short!🙄

I don’t want to ream the barrel but I want to keep my reloads the same and have them work for every gun.   Not sure what I’m gonna do at the moment. Right now I’be still got 5 TP9SFX set up. So, not in a hurry. 

I wish you would come back to USPSA. You are the one that turned me on to these Caniks after you took 2nd at nats with one.

41 minutes ago, ngodwetrust21 said:

I wish you would come back to USPSA. You are the one that turned me on to these Caniks after you took 2nd at nats with one.

Thanks for the huge compliment. 

I’m starting to get back into things. I needed a break. 

currently I’m trying to remember my load data. I lost all my precut info. 

also, I’m starting to get pissed off at these stupid ass CIP chambers. I want one load that’ll work across all my guns, but some bullet ogives are just too round and I don’t want to load super short. 

europeans and their 115 gr fmj😡 

14 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

Thanks for the huge compliment. 

I’m starting to get back into things. I needed a break. 

currently I’m trying to remember my load data. I lost all my precut info. 

also, I’m starting to get pissed off at these stupid ass CIP chambers. I want one load that’ll work across all my guns, but some bullet ogives are just too round and I don’t want to load super short. 

europeans and their 115 gr fmj😡 

Not a fan of conical bullets? Would likely solve the short loading issue. 

Edited by Dirty_J

48 minutes ago, Dirty_J said:

Not a fan of conical bullets? Would likely solve the short loading issue. 

I have about 40k of bullets already bought and paid for. Don’t want to buy new ones for the rival. Though, I’ve noticed chamber length changes in my TP9SFX as I’ve gotten new ones. I’m just gonna shoot my older ones I guess. Though, with my current loads, they shoot low with the fixed irons.  So, can’t really find a sweet spot.  I might just get some CZ’s 🤣. Oh wait. They have CIP too! 

Edited by B_RAD

2 hours ago, B_RAD said:

I have about 40k of bullets already bought and paid for. Don’t want to buy new ones for the rival. Though, I’ve noticed chamber length changes in my TP9SFX as I’ve gotten new ones. I’m just gonna shoot my older ones I guess. Though, with my current loads, they shoot low with the fixed irons.  So, can’t really find a sweet spot.  I might just get some CZ’s 🤣. Oh wait. They have CIP too! 

Yep. 40k bullets is a good enough reason 😂 

Good to know about the barrel before I plop money on the Rival-S.  Maybe someone will make an after market barrel that is "good".  My SFX is great with everything I put in it but if the Rival-S barrel is not up to the task then it's a no go.  I hope somebody going to Shot tells them this is a big issue.

8 minutes ago, WxGuy said:

Good to know about the barrel before I plop money on the Rival-S.  Maybe someone will make an after market barrel that is "good".  My SFX is great with everything I put in it but if the Rival-S barrel is not up to the task then it's a no go.  I hope somebody going to Shot tells them this is a big issue.

Lol. It’s such an issue that the CZ Shadow2 is one of the most popular guns in USPSA.

They aren’t changing anything. And neither is Canik. It’ll fit virtually all 115/124 FMJ factory ammo and most factory 147’s. I bet most Federal Syntech fits fine as well (except maybe the 150 flat points)

Stop using bulbous cast lead projectiles… or just do what EVERYONE does and load them short.  

Edited by Dirty_J

I feel it.  I don't reload so all factory stuff for me.  If it doesn't run for us "average" guys then they missed out.  It will be interesting what info does come out of Shot.

I had a first run Rival and it was fine.  But my SFX out shot it so the Rival had to go.  I can wait for more intel on the S.