Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Multi-gun Uspsa Nationals 2006

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started so called whining, crying or bitching about this earlier this year. The 3-gun Nationals are just for the shooters out west. Us Eastern shooters are just SOL. All of the National matches are out west or up north, nothing southeast. The Open Nationals are in OK this year and I think thats fair for everyone. I couldn't make the Open Nationals this year in IL but I'm going to try to make it this coming year, if I can get a slot.

Ronnie

Let's take a look at the last few years of the three gun nationals.

2005 Vegas 227 Shooters

2004 Reno 211 Shooters

2003 PASA 164 Shooters

2002 Vegas 207 Shooters

2001 Vegas 183 Shooters

2000 Vegas Unk Shooters (info is gone from USPSA site)

1999 ? 118 Shooters

Yep, it looks like we're due for a 3-Gun back east. And as soon as some ranges start showing some more interest I'm sure they'll get them. Bend gets more than it's share of Nationals events because there is a great match production crew in the area that want to host National events. They work their butts off to make them work. If you want a Nationals in your backyard, go ask Mike to hold one there next year. I don't seem to recall that there was an overwhelming crush of clubs willing to take on a Nationals. And for those folks that are unwilling to fly to a match or ship guns or whatever, I'm sorry but, tough. I have to fly to Phoenix to shoot the Superstition Match but you'll never hear me whine that they should move it closer to me. Yes it would be great to have the Nationals in a location that everyone can drive to, but unless they figure out a way to make cars a whole lot faster or the country gets a whole lot smaller somebodies SOL regardless of where the match is.

Kurt,

Actually you are wrong. Firearms may be shipped for legal hunting and sporting purposes. Here is the quotation from the ATF website.

B10) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? [back]

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the state where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

Here is the page link as well.

ATF General Questions FAQ

I realize that travel is a major component to attending matches I just didn't want anyone thinking that there were serious legal restricitons.

Take care, Craig

BTW I live in Utah so I usually travel at least 12 hours before I even get to a major match.

Yep - a non-FFL can ship to another non-FFL as described above. The challenge is that a non-FFL cannot ship with the US Post Office and must use UPS, etc. These private carriers require all firearms to be shipped next day air. That adds a chunk to your long list of match costs - especially when shipping 3 guns.

Edited by chp5

Yep - a non-FFL can ship to another non-FFL as described above. The challenge is that a non-FFL cannot ship with the US Post Office and must use UPS, etc. These private carriers require all firearms to be shipped next day air. That adds a chunk to your long list of match costs - especially when shipping 3 guns.

I believe the next day requirement only applies to handguns.

Edited by Rob Boudrie

Rob - I don't know about FeEx, but it looks like UPS requires it for all firearms.

UPS firearms policy

Wrong again. You can ship to yourself using USPS. The rule for shipping a handgun overnight with a private carrier applies only to handguns which will be transferred to a different person by an FFl for possession purposes ie. whenever a form 4473 will be filed.

If you are still worried about the handgun simply fly with it and ship the long guns and ammo. I haven't heard very many complain about flying with their handgun.

The whole point is although I think we all prefer to drive when it is possible to fly to a 3 gun match is very doable even though there are many easy excuses to throw out there.

Take care, Craig

Edited by smokshwn

I'm sorry but, tough

How did I know when I saw this you lived in OR? :blink:

All of this confusion about shipping, flying, UPS, FedEx, US Mail, Fed laws, Local laws, this airline or that airline, lost packages, extra shipping cost, etc, etc, etc. I guess I'm not like some of you guys, I don't carry enough money in my front pocket to buy new guns at a match because my guns never made it. If I can't drive there in 24 hours I guess I wont go. Like it realy makes any difference to the rest of the world.

I would like to know how many other clubs have applied for which Nationals and where they are.

Ronnie

Yes I live in Oregon. And yes I'll be in your neck of the woods in May for the Area 6 match. I'll also be at the Florida Open in February. There is not a single place in the country that works for everyone. If you want a match, ask to host one. I don't know all the clubs that were interested in hosting Nationals for 2006. I guarantee that I could count the ones who didn't get a match on one hand.

The guys from the other side of the hill (Mike McCarter and the Portland Crew) work their butts off to put on the major matches that take place in Bend. They are VERY dedicated to the sport and work tirelessly to put on matches.

It takes a lot of work to put on a major match, and if you have the crew of folks and the range to do it, raise you hand next time around. :)

The more big ranges we get the better. :)

I'm sure it would be cheaper and easier for the folks that put on the match to fly to Florida for a match than to do the work to put the match on.

I'm not a 3-gunner, so I have no personal interest in having the match here, but I really respect the effort it takes to have a major match.

Edited by Loves2Shoot

Rob - I don't know about FeEx, but it looks like UPS requires it for all firearms.

UPS firearms policy

How so? I read the policy you linked to, and one of the first quotes it "You must ship your packages that contain handguns with UPS Next Day Air....". I could not find any reference to this requirement for long guns. Did I miss something?

UPS firearms policy

How so? I read the policy you linked to, and one of the first quotes it "You must ship your packages that contain handguns with UPS Next Day Air....". I could not find any reference to this requirement for long guns. Did I miss something?

My bad - I think you're correct Rob.

Edited by chp5

The guys from the other side of the hill (Mike McCarter and the Portland Crew) work their butts off to put on the major matches that take place in Bend. They are VERY dedicated to the sport and work tirelessly to put on matches.

It takes a lot of work to put on a major match, and if you have the crew of folks and the range to do it, raise you hand next time around. :)

The more big ranges we get the better. :)

Yes they do work their butts off. Mike's a workaholic and has done wonders for ARPC IPSC. I haven't shot a Bend match in years and I need to go over to see the improvements they have made. Is Chuck Mazzola still shooting?

Does anyone from the BEND club knows any distances for the MOR match? What is the maximum distance that your range will allow you to set targets? How far can you shoot in BEND? Thanks

How far can you see ;)

We have a range that goes out to 1k yards but I have no idea how far they will set up the targets.

I would like to see some real LONG RANGE Shooting at eh next MOR at Bend. If you are in charge of setting stages up, please put some targets out there. 1000 Yards would be awesome, and not just one target....

Thanks

Ron

Sorry guys, but I don't see anything PRACTICAL about a 1000 yard shot. 200 maybe 300, but 1000? NOT. Now it would be fun to try something like that on a regular match, but the nationals? <_< You guys just have at it, because I'm not going to the other side of the earth for a match of any kind.

Ronnie

Sorry guys, but I don't see anything PRACTICAL about a 1000 yard shot. 200 maybe 300, but 1000? NOT. Now it would be fun to try something like that on a regular match, but the nationals? <_< You guys just have at it, because I'm not going to the other side of the earth for a match of any kind.

Ronnie

Are you mixing up the 3Gun match with the MOR side match?

You hear about 600-1000 yard shots made by our snipers in Afghanistan and Iraq (not I won't say "sandbox") all the time. Sounds practical to me. :D

If you can take that shot at 300-1000 yards with a MOR I would think that would be more practical than walking, running or crawling to the target to within 200-300 yards. That would be to tiring. :P