Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Goal Setting

Squirrel45

Hi everyone

*Note this is a  very subjective question* 

We all set goals, achieve 'X' class in a certain division. Now when you hit your goal, do you A move on to another division, or B move the goal post back a bit further and keep driving? 

Thanks

Squirrel 

Have only recently started steel challenge.
You start with a false assumption about "All " setting goals.
Have no idea, nor do I care about Steel challenge classes or divisions. I SHoot what I decide to shoot that time and pretty much just look at the overall scores. See where I lost time compared to others see where i gained but dont dwell on it for more than a few minutes or even worry about a goal for next time.
I also see quite a few folks at the match I shoot that feel about the same way. With Goal,, just being a fun day at the range with a bit more excitement than what you normally get confined to a public type range

20 hours ago, Squirrel45 said:

Hi everyone

We all set goals, achieve 'X' class in a certain division. Now when you hit your goal, do you A move on to another division, or B move the goal post back a bit further and keep driving? 

Thanks

Squirrel 

I’ve done both so it depends for me. Some divisions I just wanted the challenge of hitting a certain classification.

My primary divisions, my goals are typically to hit certain stage times, consistency, and overall 8-stage times.  But before I hit GM in them, GM was absolutely the goal. It was never the end goal for those though, just one of many goalposts. 

On 10/15/2022 at 8:13 PM, Squirrel45 said:

Hi everyone

For some people, achieving a certain class in a division is the goal.  For others, consistently shooting at that level is the goal.  For others, getting all of their classes to match is the goal.

It completely depends on the person.

I originally wanted to get my favorite (and mostly only) division up initially.  Then I started doing multiple divisions, so I wanted to get them all up to a certain point.  Then after that Club 13 became a thing, so I had to get classified in all---whereupon it annoyed me if there were large differences in classes, so I had to get them ALL up at least to a certain point.  Then the goal became getting my favorite divisions up to GM.  Then it became getting all of the divisions I shot periodically up to GM. 

I have a couple left that aren't up to GM yet (OSR, Open, and Limited) all of which I don't have guns for, and am shooting with ISR, CO, and Production guns respectively.  After I get Limited up to M (the others are already there) I may stop, because I really don't care about those divisions, and may change my goals to consistently shooting my favorite divisions at a GM level in matches. Then to a goal of consistently shooting GM scores on stages consistently (which is a lot harder than matches overall).

Or I might get annoyed and decide I need to get those last three up to GM. 

None of those goals actually help me get there, though.  All of there are outcome-based, not process-based---as such, none of them actually help me get better at shooting. They only tell me WHAT I'm shooting in any given match.  (Because I have to shoot it to meet that goal.)

So the ending of this long blathering screed is that as goals go, "achieving 'X' class in a certain division" actually sucks, because that goal doesn't really help you get better.  It might be good motivation, but it isn't a good goal.

"Consistently have a 1.3 draw-to-first-shot and 0.50 average splits on the hard plates Pendulum without misses" is a good goal to work toward in CO.  It tells you exactly what you need to work on, and creating practice sessions to meet that goal will be straightforward.  (And if you can meet that goal, you'll have solid GM runs on that stage, and that skill level will definitely help you get better on other stages.)

What do you want your goals to get for you?  A classification?  Or a skill level?  (They aren't the same, though the classification comes if you have the skill.) 

...and why are you wanting the goal?  Some people want to WIN so their goals reflect that ("get the highest A-class classification without getting bumped into M so I can win A-class!").  Others want to have fun, so their goals ("getting at least B-class in every division!") reflect that.

...as you said, it is subjective.  It also depends on whether or not your goals are supposed to help you get better, or merely mark if you happened to get better.

IMO, obviously.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Divisions I enjoy the most, I just keep moving to goal posts. But I also shoot Open/Limited and iron sight rimfires/pcc which all I do his have the goal of being consistent and having fun. Consistency is always the goal no matter what.

6 hours ago, JM_ said:

The Divisions I enjoy the most, I just keep moving to goal posts. But I also shoot Open/Limited and iron sight rimfires/pcc which all I do his have the goal of being consistent and having fun. Consistency is always the goal no matter what.

I like the consistency factor, your no dang good if you can't do something on a repeatable basis. I have two main goals, basically to make GM in both Revo divisions. I feel this might not be doable in a year but it a long term goal. Short term is to break the 7 sec mark in rfpo, any stage. 

4 hours ago, PractricalUse said:

Goals (Age 76):

Get up the morning of the match.

Have fun with my friends at the match.

Feel like I shot well.

Finish in the top 10 in whatever division I am shooting in (but, if I don't, I don't much care).

Go home and have a beer.

The older I get, the better I used to be!

This

I have set my goals a little high for myself the last couple years. What I have found is that I put to much pressure on myself and shoot badly. I have a lot of guns I have been neglecting but no more, just going to enjoy my time with friends and family.

On 12/16/2022 at 12:19 PM, PractricalUse said:

Goals (Age 76):

Get up the morning of the match.

Have fun with my friends at the match.

Feel like I shot well.

Finish in the top 10 in whatever division I am shooting in (but, if I don't, I don't much care).

Go home and have a beer.

The older I get, the better I used to be!

Second This!

Goals are very fluid, and the goalpost is constantly changing.  At one time my stretch goal was to break 100 (RFRO). Now my short term goal is to consistently shoot 100% every time I am on the line. Either way, making it or not, The best part is enjoying time with friends.