Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Viridian Optics (SRO Emulator?) PT Honcho~

chgofirefighter

Ive found the brightness of the dot to sometimes flicker a little, but that might be from having it on a bare stainless slide. Nevermind, was that certain spots of the lens caused the dot to be dimmer. Probably just a dirty lens/emitter. Still need to test durability slide mounted on the Stock 2 over the off season. For the price it should at least make for a decent enough backup dot.

Edit2: Viridian is RMA-ing the lens issue, so Im getting a replacement.

Edited by BRuss

• 1 month later...
On 10/19/2022 at 8:32 AM, jubi351 said:

Curious if the glass is vertical or laid back like the SRO? It seems that's the main cause of the double dot issue.

Did some staring at the sun yesterday. They don't seem to be nearly as affected by the sun reflecting off the emitter. If you are looking very close to the sun you can see the emitter reflecting, but it's not the same color or size as the real dot so it's not really distracting.

These dots are made by the same Chinese OEM and rebranded by a bunch of companies: Viridian, Bul, and Vector Optics, for example. I have a 3 MOA red from Vector Optics, and the 3 MOA green from Viridian both slide ride on Tanfo Stock 2's. The red one might be considered too dim in bright sunlight. About the same as I remember my 3 MOA RTS-2. The green one seems like it should be bright enough. Haven't seen it against white steel with sand behind it.

Edited by BRuss

• 1 month later...
On 12/11/2022 at 8:49 PM, waktasz said:

Just received one of thse. Glass is clearer and not tinted like an SRO, but the dot on mine is not as circular or clear as either of my SROs. Not sure if it's my vision or if this one is deffective. Thoughts?

Any update on this sight? I love my Holosun 407-GR, but the lens is too small. A green SRO would be perfect for me. 

I know a guy who's broken at least one and had some QC trouble with others (loose glass, coating issues on the lens leading to dimming in various parts of it). Not sure if that was on his CO gun or in a frame mount, though.

Mine shows a bit of the dimming in the upper left of the lens, but has been okay mounted on one of my revolvers.

On 1/14/2023 at 10:18 AM, Fishbreath said:

I know a guy who's broken at least one and had some QC trouble with others (loose glass, coating issues on the lens leading to dimming in various parts of it). Not sure if that was on his CO gun or in a frame mount, though.

Mine shows a bit of the dimming in the upper left of the lens, but has been okay mounted on one of my revolvers.

The one that replaced the one with the lens coating issue was direct milled on a Stock 2 slide. After about 600rds that one's lens came loose. It was also warrantied by Viridian with a replacement sent within a week of receiving the broken one.

This replacement looks to be a newer version. The housing is different, and it seems to be potentially brighter than the older ones I had. I'll have to see how it is when it's a bright day. I have it living on a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 now.

RFX-35_new.jpg

On 12/11/2022 at 6:49 PM, waktasz said:

Just received one of thse. Glass is clearer and not tinted like an SRO, but the dot on mine is not as circular or clear as either of my SROs. Not sure if it's my vision or if this one is deffective. Thoughts?

Take a picture of the dot with your cell phone. Camera doesn’t distort like astigmatism can. 

2 hours ago, Rich406 said:

Take a picture of the dot with your cell phone. Camera doesn’t distort like astigmatism can. 

3MOA RFX-35 next to 5MOA SRO. Both on max brightness with slight overcast.

5MOA-SRO_3MOA-RFX-35.jpg

Edited by BRuss

On 12/5/2022 at 10:29 AM, BRuss said:

Did some staring at the sun yesterday. They don't seem to be nearly as affected by the sun reflecting off the emitter. If you are looking very close to the sun you can see the emitter reflecting, but it's not the same color or size as the real dot so it's not really distracting.

These dots are made by the same Chinese OEM and rebranded by a bunch of companies: Viridian, Bul, and Vector Optics, for example. I have a 3 MOA red from Vector Optics, and the 3 MOA green from Viridian both slide ride on Tanfo Stock 2's. The red one might be considered too dim in bright sunlight. About the same as I remember my 3 MOA RTS-2. The green one seems like it should be bright enough. Haven't seen it against white steel with sand behind it.

Most optics are made overseas, China.  Just because an item is made overseas doesn't mean it's low quality or  doesn't meet expectations.  Viridian, like many other companies.  For example, look at Holosun and how great their offering is.  Anyway, it's always good to buy American but even American companies have their products built elsewhere.  The FX35 was updated, now it's rounded instead of having that slight window uncurved spot on top.  Now it's an all rounded glass.

On 1/20/2023 at 5:13 PM, BRuss said:

The one that replaced the one with the lens coating issue was direct milled on a Stock 2 slide. After about 600rds that one's lens came loose. It was also warrantied by Viridian with a replacement sent within a week of receiving the broken one.

This replacement looks to be a newer version. The housing is different, and it seems to be potentially brighter than the older ones I had. I'll have to see how it is when it's a bright day. I have it living on a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 now.

RFX-35_new.jpg

I have on that's pretty dim on a 22. Maybe I should slap it on something bigger and kill it, then maybe I can get a updated one lol.

1 hour ago, chgofirefighter said:

Most optics are made overseas, China.  Just because an item is made overseas doesn't mean it's low quality or  doesn't meet expectations.  Viridian, like many other companies.  For example, look at Holosun and how great their offering is.  Anyway, it's always good to buy American but even American companies have their products built elsewhere.  The FX35 was updated, now it's rounded instead of having that slight window uncurved spot on top.  Now it's an all rounded glass.

I was more speaking that you can find the "same" dot with different options from different brands (Viridian, Vector, Bul, etc). Similarly you can find RTS-2's from different brands (C-more, Toni Systems, Benthley).

Viridian customer service confirmed that the housing for the RFX-35 has been updated, but that there were no other updates.

On 1/27/2023 at 10:14 AM, BRuss said:

I was more speaking that you can find the "same" dot with different options from different brands (Viridian, Vector, Bul, etc). Similarly you can find RTS-2's from different brands (C-more, Toni Systems, Benthley).

Viridian customer service confirmed that the housing for the RFX-35 has been updated, but that there were no other updates.

Yup, I returned my original Viridian optic for their newest offering~ 

On 1/30/2023 at 4:46 AM, chgofirefighter said:

Yup, I returned my original Viridian optic for their newest offering~ 

You were able to just swap it out or you did a return and bought a new one?

5 hours ago, BRuss said:

You were able to just swap it out or you did a return and bought a new one?

Contacted their customer services and explained to them that I wanted their newest optic and they didn't have any problems accomodating my request.  All I had to do was to return  the original dot and get it replaced.  Now that's customer service!!! 

• 8 months later...

Bit of a necropost, but any updates on those with this dot? Also does anyone know if the latest version has a plastic or glass window? How is it holding up?

Sort of interested in the dot since it’s got a low deck height and green dot appears to be around 5MOA. Have a holosun 507comp but really wish it was a 4-6moa instead. Find the 8moa ring to be too big (comparing to my 6moa EPS carry looks closer to 10moa)

• 1 month later...

Ended up buying it since it’s only $184 on Amazon before tax, and very easy to return on Amazon as well. Initial impressions generally positive, the 3moa dot does look larger than that which I like, as I feel the SRO 5moa size is ideal. Seems to get pretty bright, will need to test on bright range day with tinted eyepro on. Some distortion at edges, a bit more than 507 comp but manageable.

On 10/28/2023 at 10:55 PM, whan said:

Bit of a necropost, but any updates on those with this dot? Also does anyone know if the latest version has a plastic or glass window? How is it holding up?

Sort of interested in the dot since it’s got a low deck height and green dot appears to be around 5MOA. Have a holosun 507comp but really wish it was a 4-6moa instead. Find the 8moa ring to be too big (comparing to my 6moa EPS carry looks closer to 10moa)

One of the guys in my shooting group has one on his carry optics setup. It is not to far off from my SRO for a lot less

he has put it through the ringer for several months with no issues. 

I’ve been very impressed so far. 

Glad to hear it’s held up well for him. Initial impressions for me positive, seems to get decently bright enough even for high sun days, although not nuclear like the green 507 comp. But don’t envision any issues

Will be a while til my LO gun is built but will likely live there