Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Varsol for a cleaner?

21 shooter

Varsol is a petroleum product made and marketed by ExxonMobil Chem.  Rather like kerosene, and is used in the automotive industry as a cleaner, degreaser.  used it for years on my 1911, but don't know how it would react with a polymer gun.

Brake cleaner - very mild stuff that acts as a degreaser and is highly volatile. It has to be formulated to be so mild that it will not affect the things it is expected to drip on like tires, brake pad materials, wheel paint, etc. It will not hurt your guns but it could make a mess of wood grips.

Carb cleaner - bad juju. It will dislove many plastics, remove paint and some gun finishes, ruin wood, swell rubber, do God-knows-what to a Glock frame. Be sure you do not confuse the two when you go to the auto parts store.

• 1 month later...
Guest Dick W Holliday

a while back i went looking for Varsal and couldn't find any but had two or three people tell me that it was mineral spirits so i bought a ccouple of gallons that i poured into a five gallon buck with a lid and now i dip all my glocks and 1911 slides in it with no problems whatsoever.....Dick

• 1 year later...

Dupont Pre-Sol is an automotive metal and paint degreaser and wax remover that is used to prep surfaces prior to painting them. I buy it by the gallon and pour it in an old ammo can with a good or well sealing lid. Strip down the gun and place the parts in and clean with an old tooth brush. As for the barrel just use a brass brush and let soak. Remove parts, and re oil. It does evaporate so make sure your ammo can has a good lid, has a low odor so the Misses won't complain and is safe on all surfaces, plastic to metal. Only thing I don't use it on is my camo hunting shotgun, I think even simple green will remove that stuff.

Jim

It all smells, brake cleaner, varsol, all of it. Hoppes smells but no body complains about it...

Actually, my better half gets migraines from the smell of Hoppe's. My cleaning got evicted to the backyard or garage. Of course that's only a yearly project....

I used varsol for years in my shop before I tried simple green. Now i use a 50-50 mix of simple green and rinse in warm water for about anything. Varsol does work good but it does stink, especially if you air blow the part off, don't miss it at all. Funny thing was that the simple green ate the paint right off the tank that had been holding varsol forever.

I have been using the Brake Cleaner method for a few years now. That stuff is great (except the smell), what I like is that it evaporates so quickly you don't spend time drying the parts.

A Question for those of you using the Simple Green method of cleaning... I have used the stuff for other cleaning around the house so I know its user friendly as far a the smell and other things go, SG seems like the best stuff to use indoors (when cold or rainy outside, the best place and time to clean guns), but I wonder about using it on gun parts, how much time you spend on drying and how you dry (hair dryer, rags, air compressor etc.) ? The thought of rinsing with water just doesn't seem right to use on metal parts. Water + Metal = Corosion, especially in my high humidity state....

I haven't used the SG method because of the above stated concerns. Any TIPS, thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated...

Thanks

TYRO

Here's how I clean.

THE FRAME

Spray with Simple Green and scrub with a toothbrush.

THE SLIDE

Take it apart and spray with Simple Green then scrub with a toothbrush. Clean the Striker hole with a Q tip. Look down the striker hole to make sure none of the Q tip remains. It is important to take the slide apart so it can be properly dryed.

THE BARREL

Spray with Simple Green & run a paper towel patch down the barrel soaked in Simple Green.

Then a couple of patches with Hoppe's #9.

THE RINSE

Use moderately hot water and rinse in the sink.

THE DRYING

Use a hair dryer to dry the parts DO NOT get the plastic too hot.

Push a dry paper towel patch down the barrel until dry.

THE OILING

Follow the outline in the manual. I use synthetic motor oil for lub.

I like the way Simple Green leaves my cleaning brush cleaner AFTER cleaning my guns than before.

It still has a strong odor though. Perhaps not as bad as Varsol (can't say from experience), but strong enough that some woman sued the manufactururer successfully because she developed repiratory problems after standing in her shower stall while cleaning with the stuff.