Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP5 Load

Orlandoech

10 hours ago, Orlandoech said:

Anyone have any good JP5 load data for 115s or anything super soft?

I’ve tried the following which is super soft so far

115gr Plated

4.0gr Alliant Sport Pistol

1.120”

SPP

I am using a Precisiondelta 115 JHP with 4.6 WSF. This is a 133 PF load in the JP5. The red dot hardly moves with the 80* lock and even better with the 70*. This same load was 138 PF Load in my GMR.

4 hours ago, 1911flyr said:

I am using a Precisiondelta 115 JHP with 4.6 WSF. This is a 133 PF load in the JP5. The red dot hardly moves with the 80* lock and even better with the 70*. This same load was 138 PF Load in my GMR.

how much diff between the the 70° and 80° lock? I debated on buying an 70°. 

Edited by Orlandoech

I do not own a JP-5 but run a stock, un-modified, GMR-15 and my fellow shooters cannot believe I am shooting a 9mm because my load reflects almost zero recoil that has been 100% reliable. I am only about 18,000 rounds through this rifle but it has performed flawlessly. I use this round for steel challenge, outlaw steel, and local IDPA matches.

Precision Delta 124gr. JHP V2

Winchester 231 powder - 3.8gr

Mixed Range Brass (limited to five quality head stamps purchased from Todd at A+ Brass)

CCI 500 primers - SPP

COAL - 1.10

Hope this helps in your search for the perfect load…

While I am not loading to Minor PF what I can tell you is that I'm using Clays (sub-minor SC load).  I was using Sport Pistol before.  When loaded to the same PF I could feel a HUGE difference in felt recoil between the SPP and the Clays.  The Clays was MUCH softer.  That being said, you are NOT going to get Minor PF with 115's and Clays.  Using their load data you are maybe going to hit 120. 

In my testing 3.0gr of Clays under a 124 Everglades PRN at 1.12oal got me around 120PF from my PCC with a Taccom barrel. I tested the same charge under a 147 Everglades PRN and got 135PF.  Taking the OAL to 1.13 put it at 134PF.  Once again, all out of a Taccom XLW sleeved barrel.  None of this is with a JP5... that might be in the future.  Since my barrel is pistol-length, you can probably count on a slightly higher PF from a full-length barrel.

In conclusion: just under 3.0gr of Clays with a 147gr PRN at 1.12/1.13 will get you Minor PF with plenty of room to spare.  If you are more in the 124gr. camp then maybe 3.2 would get you there.  I only have data for 3.2gr Clays and a 135gr coated and that was 128PF out of my Canik TP9SFx.  Also, Clays does a nice job filling the case and easy to see.

11 minutes ago, bigdawgbeav said:

While I am not loading to Minor PF what I can tell you is that I'm using Clays (sub-minor SC load).  I was using Sport Pistol before.  When loaded to the same PF I could feel a HUGE difference in felt recoil between the SPP and the Clays.  The Clays was MUCH softer.  That being said, you are NOT going to get Minor PF with 115's and Clays.  Using their load data you are maybe going to hit 120. 

In my testing 3.0gr of Clays under a 124 Everglades PRN at 1.12oal got me around 120PF from my PCC with a Taccom barrel. I tested the same charge under a 147 Everglades PRN and got 135PF.  Taking the OAL to 1.13 put it at 134PF.  Once again, all out of a Taccom XLW sleeved barrel.  None of this is with a JP5... that might be in the future.  Since my barrel is pistol-length, you can probably count on a slightly higher PF from a full-length barrel.

In conclusion: just under 3.0gr of Clays with a 147gr PRN at 1.12/1.13 will get you Minor PF with plenty of room to spare.  If you are more in the 124gr. camp then maybe 3.2 would get you there.  I only have data for 3.2gr Clays and a 135gr coated and that was 128PF out of my Canik TP9SFx.  Also, Clays does a nice job filling the case and easy to see.

Thx for the info, I am only concerned with JP5, not a DB-PCC, but thanks!

Strange though considering Clays is faster than SP. Ive tried the following powders at the same approx PF in my DB-PCC with little difference in dot movement and felt recoil impulse.

• Sport Pistol
  • Win 231
  • Win 244
  • N320
  • N340

Even tried 115gr plates, 115gr JHP, and their 124gr counterparts... in the end, I stuck with SP as I had 58lbs of it.

5 hours ago, Orlandoech said:

how much diff between the the 70° and 80° lock? I debated on buying an 70°. 

There is a slight but noticeable difference.

To the gentleman that says his GMR shoots soft. I will disagree. I have over 80,000 rounds through my GMR and a short stroke kit from JP. The JP5 is significantly softer with little to no red dot sight movement.

2 minutes ago, 1911flyr said:

To the gentleman that says his GMR shoots soft. I will disagree. I have over 80,000 rounds through my GMR and a short stroke kit from JP. The JP5 is significantly softer with little to no red dot sight movement.

good to know thx. Yea the DB GMR isn’t even close to JP5. 

12 hours ago, 1911flyr said:

1911flyr - Two points to you reply

1> Thank You for responding the way you did rather than how some members enjoy responding to someones post if they disagree or think differently. I appreciate your reply and the way in which you worded it and it is obvious that you have experience with both models. Having shot 80,000 rounds from this new JP5 model tells me how much you shoot Sir.

2> Without question I am one that cannot wait for the future opportunity to own and shoot a JP5 as the quality of my GMR15 reflects the R&D and attention to detail that JP puts into every product they make and sell I am sure. Because it took me almost a year to save up to purchase my GMR15, and because I do not shoot nearly the rounds many others shoot like yourself, a JP5 may only be in my future purchases when JP releases their next generation PCC and the JP5’s become more affordable (second part may never occur for my budget).  

Thanks for your reply and information. Now you really have me wanting to at least shoot one to experience the difference. Respect you for your professional kindness….Mark

My JP5 loads

115 PD JHP @ 133 PF 4.6 WSF @ 1.12 OAL

124 PD JHP @ 130 PF 4.4 WSF @ 1.12 OAL

147 PD JHP @ 129 PF 3.74 WSF @ 1.12 OAL

I am going the try some CFE pistol loads next.

I am using the 60* break.

The 115 is my favorite load. I tried double taps at 15yds for each load. Paper doesn’t lie😊. The 147’s were softest but the 115’s were the closest groups with .17 splits.

By the way, the GMR was exactly 5 PF more than the JP5 for the same load. My GMR is a 14.5” barrel with a pin and welded comp and JP short stroke installed. Also, my friends GMR is a 16” then comp is slower than my 14.5”.

I think you will find a slower powder like WSF feels softer than a fast powder. I have tried N320, W231 and Titgrope. Caution should be used with fast powders and heavy bullets. Squibs are possible.

13 minutes ago, 1911flyr said:

My JP5 loads

115 PD JHP @ 133 PF 4.6 WSF @ 1.12 OAL

124 PD JHP @ 130 PF 4.4 WSF @ 1.12 OAL

147 PD JHP @ 129 PF 3.74 WSF @ 1.12 OAL

I am going the try some CFE pistol loads next.

I am using the 60* break.

The 115 is my favorite load. I tried double taps at 15yds for each load. Paper doesn’t lie😊. The 147’s were softest but the 115’s were the closest groups with .17 splits.

By the way, the GMR was exactly 5 PF more than the JP5 for the same load. My GMR is a 14.5” barrel with a pin and welded comp and JP short stroke installed. Also, my friends GMR is a 16” then comp is slower than my 14.5”.

I think you will find a slower powder like WSF feels softer than a fast powder. I have tried N320, W231 and Titgrope. Caution should be used with fast powders and heavy bullets. Squibs are possible.

I didn’t notice much difference from a slower to faster powder myself. But I did notice a difference form lighter to heavier bullets. 

I noticed my 12.5” Brekke PCC is about 4-5pf higher with the same load data too.