Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock mags

40 minutes ago, Darqusoull13 said:

GLOCK brand GLOCK mags are by far the most reliable. 

I like the TF 41s for most stages, the 51s for outlaw or >32 round stages and TTI old style standard extensions for reload and stand and shoot stages. 

ETS and MBX puke themselves to death in my experience. Both have design flaws and aren't as well made IMO. 

The biggest mistake folks make with MBX mags… is they treat them like Glock OEM mags. 

If you treat them like open mags… which they effective are… 

Clean when in dropped the dirt, replace springs regularly, and pay some attention to the feedlips for dings or opening/closing, I find them to be entirely reliable.. and they’re much easier to load in to the PCC when the stack is full. 

With that said… if you’re not willing to do the above… or are generally oblivious to maintenance… they aren’t for everyone. 

4 hours ago, Dirty_J said:

The biggest mistake folks make with MBX mags… is they treat them like Glock OEM mags. 

If you treat them like open mags… which they effective are… 

Clean when in dropped the dirt, replace springs regularly, and pay some attention to the feedlips for dings or opening/closing, I find them to be entirely reliable.. and they’re much easier to load in to the PCC when the stack is full. 

With that said… if you’re not willing to do the above… or are generally oblivious to maintenance… they aren’t for everyone. 

So if they are finicky, less reliable and more expensive? 

28 minutes ago, Darqusoull13 said:

So if they are finicky, less reliable and more expensive? 

Yes. No. Yes. 

pros:

- zero issues with transition from the extension to the tube 

- a 41rd mag is actually loadable in to most PCCs without the need to download

- same for the 140/170’s for reloading. Holds 23/29 and will easily insert into most lowers without worry of it not locking in

- can remove spring/follower from bottom of extension without mangling the spring 

- don’t need to “massage” the tube opening and smooth followers down like OEM mags + extensions 

cons: 

- they cost more. Still a fraction of the price of your $3500 Jp5

- metal feed lips can get dinged and need attention 

Edited by Dirty_J
21 minutes ago, Dirty_J said:

Yes. No. Yes. 

pros:

- same for the 140/170’s for reloading. Holds 23/29 and will easily insert into most lowers without worry of it not locking in

- can remove spring/follower from bottom of extension without mangling the spring 

- don’t need to “massage” the tube opening and smooth followers down like OEM mags + extensions 

cons: 

JP5's, there are 2 and they are delightful. Both ran 100% as loaners at Nationals. 

I trust my GLOCK mags ang gear enough to let anyone run them. 

I haven't modified anything on my Glock mags either. Sold off the MBX basepads though, they were less reliable and of lower quality machining and design. 

It feels sacrilegious to use anything but OEM Glock mags for Glock patterned guns. I'm not aware of any other magazine tube that's both more reliable and as cost effective. An alternative should be better in one aspect while maintaining the standard on the other. Otherwise, the shooter is spending more money for the same reliability or spending comparable money for less reliability. When I first got into PCC, I thought malfunctions were just part of the game as there always seemed to be at least one PCC that would go down during a local. The things in common were ludicrously long extensions and/or non-Glock tubes. I've settled on OEM 31 rd tubes with +10 TTI extensions.

12 hours ago, Dirty_J said:

don’t need to “massage” the tube opening and smooth followers down like OEM mags + extensions 

I do not need to do anything to my followers and my Glock mags with TTI extensions run just fine.  What people tend to not know about the TTI extensions is that you should not load past an OAL of 1.125 or you could have feed issues.  I do "massage" the bottom inside edge of the tube by sanding it down to ensure smooth feeding, but I never had feed issues before I started doing that, so I am not 100% sure its necessary.  For me I do everything I can to make sure the mags will work 100%.  I cannot guarantee that with MBX mags that could ding a feed lip during a match and start causing issues.  Not worth the risk by any means in my eyes.  I would have a very hard time moving off the Glock mags.

Edited by Boomstick303
On 10/31/2022 at 7:11 AM, Boomstick303 said:

I do not need to do anything to my followers and my Glock mags with TTI extensions run just fine.  

I just got 4 of the TTI +10's and when put on 33rnd glock mags they would stop at 35 rounds, had to taper/round the back bottom corners of the follower as they would catch on the back radius of the extensions. 

14 minutes ago, sharko said:

I just got 4 of the TTI +10's and when put on 33rnd glock mags they would stop at 35 rounds, had to taper/round the back bottom corners of the follower as they would catch on the back radius of the extensions. 

Yep. And that’s the main issue with OEM tubes. They were never designed to have the follower leave the body. 

- some mag tubes work perfect

- some work perfect after some lovin’

- some will never work properly with a +10 on there

Just how it goes. They’re cheap enough. Just keep buying until you find one that works to your liking. 

8 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

Weird.  First of I heard of this.  Every Glock Mag I have purchased just runs.

My buddy has a few 33rd glock mags with Taran Extensions. A particular one of the 4 or so, continually has random issues. Can't seem to understand it.

Other ones run just fine.

You have to think out of how many magazines they make, some are not going to be perfect or have imperfections.

YMMV.

5 minutes ago, mrvip27 said:

YMMV.

It is good to know, because I had no idea.  When you see hundreds if not over a thousand of them operate over the years and do not see any malfunctions that seem to be mag related, you just start making assumptions.   It good to know what to look for too if one of mine were to start having issues.

I was having issues with the extensions until I fixed the OAL issue.  Since then zero issues.  

To be fair to Glock, they did not design them with extensions in mind either, which seems to be where most of the issues in this thread are contributed to.

Edited by Boomstick303
4 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

It is good to know, because I had no idea.  When you see hundreds if not over a thousand of them operate over the years and do not see any malfunctions that seem to be mag related, you just start making assumptions.   It good to know what to look for too if one of mine were to start having issues.

I was having issues with the extensions until I fixed the OAL issue.  Since then zero issues.  

To be fair to Glock, they did not design them with extensions in mind either, which seems to be where most of the issues in this thread are contributed to.

Absolutely agree.

I feel like I've actually had worse luck with Glock OEM mags than most people. When I buy, I typically buy several at a time, and the last couple of times I've done that I've had one mag that will not drop free. This most recent batch of Gen 5 big sticks, I have one that legitimately gets stuck in the magwell, you have to YANK it out. 

Additionally, something I've mentioned here before, I have run into a round limit on almost every Glock mag I've run in my PCC over the last 4-5 years of its competition life. After 2500 rounds or so, the mags start causing jams - they are presenting the round at too high of an angle and the bolt slams them into the breach face above the chamber. So I have to switch to a new tube, so I date every tube when I put it on the extension so I can figure out how may rounds it has on it, and I have a stack of "spent" tubes. I haven't found anyone else that has this issue, so I'm pretty sure its something wrong with my PCC build, something like the lower being ever so out of spec that it seats the mags slightly too high and the bolt just slowly wears the feed lips; but other than that, it is a nearly 100% reliable PCC build. 

This hasn't turned me away from buying Glock OEM mags, as for the price, they are still far and away the better option in my opinion. And hopefully on my next PCC build, I won't have the round count issue.

Edited by bulldog009

I've used Glock mags and ETS mags in an AR9 and a Ruger PCC, both seem to work fine and drop free. 

I also have a Colt mag gun that works equally as well.

You can get longer extensions for the Glock mags than the Colt mags, but it's rare you'll need more than 42 rounds in our game, so kind of a non-issue.

If I had a preference, it'd be the Glock guns cause if I got rid of the Colt mag gun, I wouldn't need to keep a bunch of the mags around

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/16/2022 at 12:22 PM, TheChef1 said:

What do most people run for PCC glock mags?

I've ran ETS, Magpul, OEM and MBX. They all have ran great through my JP GMR15 and now JP5. I've settled with the MBX 170s some 170s with extensions for USPSA and OEM 17 rounders for Steel Challenge. The MBX feel great to reload with and just feel great overall. But they aren't cheap unfortunately. I have had many issues with OEM 33 rounders with aftermarket extensions though.

On 10/30/2022 at 9:28 PM, Dirty_J said:

Yes. No. Yes. 

pros:

cons: 

This is the way. MBX for the win!!