Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can't figure it out

sniper3

I 've been a single stage press reloader for the last 40 years . Resize , expand , put brass in sonic cleaner , than tumble , install primer , add a little powder , bullet seat , and bingo , a baby 9mm is born . I just bought a progressive RCBS 5 stage press and here is my question ................. at what point does the brass get cleaned , or does it ???

I use a Dillon square deal B. I take all of the dies out and the powder funnel,   just leaving the sizing die,  run all my brass through that so it is sized and  deprimed.  then I thought in a wet tumbler with steel pins for 3 hours and it is completely clean.  I know this is a little extra work but it comes out looking looking Like new.

I only use small rifle primers so I want to make sure my prime pockets are completely clean.

I’ve always tried to prep/clean my brass before hand and keep a supply handy ahead of time.  I de-cap with a Lee APP and maybe resize depending on how dirty the brass is. Then wet tumble, dry and reload. It keeps your progressive cleaner and is like using new brass. Your gonna get about 100 answers on how to do this. 😁

I run my fired brass through the LEE APP press; very fast decapping there.  Then tumble clean w/SS pins and Armor All Wash-N-Wax.  After drying, they go through my Dillon.  Works fast for me and squeaky clean brass through the press to load.

I use carbide dies , so there is no case lube . If i'm going to use a progressive press , that means I would at least have to decap the cases , than sonic clean , than tumble the cases before I even begin the reloading process , adding that extra step makes no sense to me . With the single press I would decap/ resize , than expand , than sonic clean and tumble , with the brass looking like new before installing a primer and adding powder and bullet

44 minutes ago, sniper3 said:

I use carbide dies , so there is no case lube . If i'm going to use a progressive press , that means I would at least have to decap the cases , than sonic clean , than tumble the cases before I even begin the reloading process , adding that extra step makes no sense to me . With the single press I would decap/ resize , than expand , than sonic clean and tumble , with the brass looking like new before installing a primer and adding powder and bullet

You have a lot to learn. Start by discarding the misinformation

6 hours ago, sniper3 said:

So please educate 

On a single stage press with one at a time you have less flex than a progressive so you can get away with no lube on carbide dies. On a progressive, you are doing multiple operations at once which adds to the resistance, plus the flex in the system can lead to inconsistent sizing, expansion, seating and crimping. Sizing has the most resistance so a little lube smooth’s things out and help keep everything else more even & consistent. 

one often learns when comparing notes
To be clear... I know on a 650 you can, take your brass
and toss it into the casefeeder and make ammo
Cleaning is optional.

To add some tale telling
I believe that needing ammo quick may
be a time to compromise on steps in the process.
like what I hear you ask...

The fire fight has dragged on a bit and
you now have cases to fill,
Yes, you should bring a progressive press with supplies
to any gunfight.
Back to the need for ammo, cleaning will take 30 minutes,
shall we skip that step?

joking aside,
What I recommend for pistol ammo is tumble the cases first
to clean and go on to inspect/sort then into the casefeeder.

The compromise for most in this forum seems to be
 clean the brass first then into the casefeeder.
that process is for pistol loading

The process sniper uses is what I do for rifle rounds.
So it is one way to get it done.

miranda