Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm case capacity by Head Stamp

zzt

A while ago I saw a post here (or elsewhere) listing the case capacity of different 9mm cases.  I remember Blazer was the lowest.  The RP that I use was 3rd or 4th down.  I don't remember which HSs were the largest.  I'm trying to minimize powder spillage when the shell plate turns.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

5 minutes ago, zzt said:

A while ago I saw a post here (or elsewhere) listing the case capacity of different 9mm cases.  I remember Blazer was the lowest.  The RP that I use was 3rd or 4th down.  I don't remember which HSs were the largest.  I'm trying to minimize powder spillage when the shell plate turns.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Have you tried all the tricks and gizmo’s to reduce the shell plate snap? You load on a 650? 

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

Have you tried all the tricks and gizmo’s to reduce the shell plate snap? You load on a 650? 

I load on a Hornady LnL AP.    The plate indexes in half steps, so it is not as bad as on a 650.  The only way to reduce the snap is to lower the ball detent.  I have done that.  Any more and the plate will not index properly.

1 hour ago, zzt said:

I load on a Hornady LnL AP.    The plate indexes in half steps, so it is not as bad as on a 650.  The only way to reduce the snap is to lower the ball detent.  I have done that.  Any more and the plate will not index properly.

Gotcha.

So far I’ve found that Hornady has the least amount of internal taper and the greatest volume. I used Enforcer to check how much they held after sizing,

Horn-13.8

FC91- 13.4

Speer-13.0

Fed-13.5

CCI-12.8

YMMV. 

Edited by Farmer
Added

@zzt

• Fully processed brass, no flaring
  • CCI 550 Primer
  • Franklin Armory DS-750 powder scale
  • Titegroup Powder, scooped into casing, excess scraped off the top with flat edge, no packing
  • 1-3 samples of each headstamp
  • Max STDEV of 0.4

AMMO INC 11.8
HPR 11.6
BLAZER 11.6
FC 11.5
MXT 11.4
HRTRS 11.4
HOTSHOT 11.4
GFL 11.4
WIN 11.3
MEN 11.3
Browning 11.3
AP 11.3
S&B 11.3
PERFECTA 11.3
WMA 11.2
WCC+P 11.2
SIG 11.2
CBC 11.2
MFS 11.2
A USA 11.2
* USA * 11.1
STV 11.0
WCC 11.0
RP 10.9
NT I/\I 10.9
AGUILA 10.9
F&S 10.6
X-TREME 10.5

19 hours ago, zzt said:

There was a post here somewhere using and o ring around shell plate instead of the spring. I did it and it helps a lot. I'll look around its a Mc master carr P/N

Just now, dtuns said:

There was a post here somewhere using and o ring around shell plate instead of the spring. I did it and it helps a lot. I'll look around its a Mc master carr P/N

Here it is

Oil-Resistant Buna-N O-Ring
2.5 mm Wide, 69 mm ID
9262K939

On 8/2/2022 at 1:36 PM, zzt said:

I use an oring greased with lanolin instead of the supplied spring oring on my shell plate.  The greased oring minimize the jerky motion

Loading 9mm major with 7.2 WAC.