Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MKIV Lite vs LLV-4 (Mamba/Scorpion)

Kettlebell

What kind of mechanical accuracy can be expected from the MKIV Lite vs the Volquartsen LLV-4 4.5" upper / Mamba / Scorpion? 

From those that have had both the MKIV and VQ does one seem to be more reliable, robust, less fragile, or less finicky with ammo selection?  

So I’ve owned 2 Scorpions and a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite. Both Scorpions ran 100% with any ammo. The Ruger went to 2 local gunsmiths and then to Volquartsen. The trigger was never as good as either of my Volquartsens and the gun was incredibly fussy about mags  and would only shoot Minimags and not very reliably. I don’t know if only a Volquartsen upper would make a big difference, but the complete pistols are works of art!

505D2F1C-0F6B-4D3F-A1C4-09F5809ED4FF.jpeg

It sounds like the Volquartsen options are the "easy button." 

Do you both prefer the Tandemkross flat trigger over the curved wide VQ? 

Do the magazines directly from VQ tend to run better in their pistols than stock Ruger magazines?

3 hours ago, Kettlebell said:

It sounds like the Volquartsen options are the "easy button." 

Do you both prefer the Tandemkross flat trigger over the curved wide VQ? 

Do the magazines directly from VQ tend to run better in their pistols than stock Ruger magazines?

I think the VQ mags are just stock Ruger mags but with the VQ spring and follower button

I have both and both have run reliably with no issues. After tricking out the Ruger the cost is pretty close to the Volquartsen Black Mamba. I was able to find mine used like new for a great price.

My MK IV 22/45 lite has been 100% reliable and accurate. It has eaten everything I’ve put into it from Thunderbolt to Mini-Mags. It shot some Winchester that wouldn’t feed in my Victory. I did install the TandemKross trigger kit to lighten the trigger.

4 hours ago, hijinx said:

My MK IV 22/45 lite has been 100% reliable and accurate. It has eaten everything I’ve put into it from Thunderbolt to Mini-Mags. It shot some Winchester that wouldn’t feed in my Victory. I did install the TandemKross trigger kit to lighten the trigger.

Same experience. The  only mandatory upgrade, IMO,  is a lighter trigger.

Otherwise  mine eats anything. The only caveat is lead  bullets heavily  lead the barrel after a few hundred rounds. No issues with copper.

My mkII never had a problem with leading, not sure of the difference

Edited by costeel
More info

I have a MK IV 22/45 Lite with a VQ trigger and a VQ Black Mamba.  The accuracy edge goes to the VQ but not by a lot.  Both will feed anything, but the smoothness of operation definitely goes to the VQ.  The factory Ruger trigger was just simply awful and had to be replaced.  

I really like the VQ mags with the aluminum base and have a couple but the standard Ruger mags work just fine.  

Edited by 21 shooter