Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 ACP 200 Grain Jacketed Bullets

cbrussell

I am looking to create some 45 ACP loads with 200 grain jacketed bullets. (I am not currently interested in plated or coated bullets) I believe that Hornady makes 200 grain HAP bullets. Does anyone know of other options/profiles? I am interested in accurate major power factor loads.

Thanks

Edited by cbrussell

1 hour ago, cbrussell said:

I know the XTP bullets are excellent, but I am trying to save a few bucks. It looks like 200gr jacketed bullets are few and far between. 

Well,,, You are speaking in circles... "not interested in coated"   ,,,,,, "save a few bucks"
Coated bullets work well and are cheaper than jacketed,,, or cough up for HAPs,,  The both punch holes in cardboard

8 hours ago, Joe4d said:

Well,,, You are speaking in circles... "not interested in coated"   ,,,,,, "save a few bucks"
Coated bullets work well and are cheaper than jacketed,,, or cough up for HAPs,,  The both punch holes in cardboard

I had a very bad experience with “plated” bullets so I changed to jacketed and never looked back. At that time, the plating was very soft. I did have some luck with copper “washed”  bullets, but the supplier went out of business so I stuck with jacketed. 

Edited by cbrussell

11 hours ago, cbrussell said:

I did find that Montana Gold makes a 200gr JFP bullet. I have used their bullets in other calibers with success, so might try them as well.

If you can get them. Have to check early AM and often. Their 200 is or used to be the 185HP with the hp filled in. Yes they do shoot good. Precision Delta has a good jacketed bullet too but their out of stock. 

Edited by Farmer

13 hours ago, cbrussell said:

I had a very bad experience with “plated” bullets so I changed to jacketed and never looked back. At that time, the plating was very soft. I did have some luck with copper “washed”  bullets, but the supplier went out of business so I stuck with jacketed. 

yeh IMO copper plated do suck,,, last batdch I had I set on the drill press and made me some carolina rigged fishing weights.  and chucked the rest.
But coated these dsays mean these polymer things.. These guys work and work well. Bayou, MO, Precission, etc,, poly coated work well

Probably 95% of USPSA shooters that reload are using coated lead bullets.  There's simply no good reason not to use them unless you are shooting Open. If you pick from any of the the popular companies, you can't go wrong.  Just as accurate, uses less powder.  It's as simple as that.   

4 hours ago, cbrussell said:

To be fair, I have never reloaded “coated” bullets. For the uninitiated, what coatings are used? Which is the best if there is such a thing? 

Thanks.

The first two brands I tried were Blues and Precision Bullets. Was impressed with both with the accuracy and cleanliness of my gun. After several hundred rounds the barrel still looked shiny inside. You just have to make sure you bell your brass enough to not scrape the coating off while seating  and not crimp excessively that can cut the coating. 

One bullet to definitely steer clear from is the 200 Grain CT (Combat Target) that Hornady used to make.  It's a jacketed version of the H&G #68 semi-wadcutter.  It is now discontinued, but there may be some stashed around.

Even Bill Wilson says that you can't throat and polish a 1911 enough to make that bullet feed.  I tried before hearing that advice and ruined a gun.....

17 minutes ago, Braxton1 said:

One bullet to definitely steer clear from is the 200 Grain CT (Combat Target) that Hornady used to make.  It's a jacketed version of the H&G #68 semi-wadcutter.  It is now discontinued, but there may be some stashed around.

Even Bill Wilson says that you can't throat and polish a 1911 enough to make that bullet feed.  I tried before hearing that advice and ruined a gun.....

The problem is, it is NOT a faithful copy of the HG 68 profile.  If it were, it would feed, nicht wahr?

The plated SWCs I tried were not, either, and did not feed well in my SWC throated gun.  

4 hours ago, cbrussell said:

How about “smoking” with coated bullets? Any specific coating better than others? How does the amount of smoke compare to jacketed?

Thanks.

Tightgroup  can be a problem with coated bullets because it burns hot. I use e3 and don’t notice anymore smoke than with plated or jacketed. Many here use VV320, Sport pistol, WST ect. Do a search on smoky bullet or powders. 

2 hours ago, Jim Watson said:

The problem is, it is NOT a faithful copy of the HG 68 profile.  If it were, it would feed, nicht wahr?

The plated SWCs I tried were not, either, and did not feed well in my SWC throated gun.  

I bought some plated SWC that were supposed to be a copy but the nose is shorter and fatter. Only shot about 100 or so and they are very picky about feeding. The OAL has to be just right. 

4 hours ago, Farmer said:

Tightgroup  can be a problem with coated bullets because it burns hot. I use e3 and don’t notice anymore smoke than with plated or jacketed. Many here use VV320, Sport pistol, WST ect. Do a search on smoky bullet or powders. 

Then, would it be safe to say most of the smoke is powder related and not bullet coating?

Thanks

these newer ploy coated dont smoke like the old precision, masterblaster, black moly type coatings did.
I have loaded them with lots of powders and not noticed an issue

57 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

these newer ploy coated dont smoke like the old precision, masterblaster, black moly type coatings did.
I have loaded them with lots of powders and not noticed an issue

Thanks for the info.

Hi,

Fiocchi makes a quite good 200 grain jacketed SWC but I don't know if that is available on your side of the pond. I'm also happy with Speer 200 TC en 200 SWC (plated).

The 200 grain XTP is excellent as well as the Speer 200 Gold Dot but both are pricey.

50 minutes ago, RGA said:

Hi,

Fiocchi makes a quite good 200 grain jacketed SWC but I don't know if that is available on your side of the pond. I'm also happy with Speer 200 TC en 200 SWC (plated).

The 200 grain XTP is excellent as well as the Speer 200 Gold Dot but both are pricey.

A quick search did not yield any USA results. However, I know they are increasing their presence here in the States, so maybe their pistol components will start showing up.

Thanks for the reply.

• 2 weeks later...

Too bad the old Speer "Flying Ashtray" (200 gr on left) is no longer in production. Though if available today, it would likely have been as costly as the XTP (250 on right). That's a large pistol primer that can sit in the cavity (measures 0.21") on the Speer. I have a small stash of under 100 left that I've been loading for my New Vaquero in 45 Colt since the wife was too afraid to try the XTP even on starting loads. All my reading has convinced me to try coated. Back in my heavy reloading days I used Rainier plated without incident in my SIG 220 & S&W 625-6 45 ACP, but alas Rainier Ballistics has gone the way of the dodo as well.

flyingashtray.jpg1.JPG.3dd9cd345edcbe5b77730919aa7f047a.JPGflyingashtray.jpg2.JPG.0e3980e470073700f0c84ccff374ec57.JPG

Edited by FN509Fan

Good luck finding HAP or other jacketed bullets in stock.

https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/product/speer-451-45-200-gr-tmj-match-100/

https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/product/hornady-451-45-200-gr-fmj-ct-500/

This was the best price I found on XTP I came across during my own searches for loading 45 Colt.

https://www.selwayarmory.com/hornady-bullets-45-caliber-451-diameter-200-gr-xtp-jacketed-hollow-point-box-of-100.html

Hornady Bullets .45 Caliber (.451 Diameter) 200 Gr. XTP Jacketed Hollow Point- Box of 100

5 available

Availability: In stock

Regular Price: $27.99

Special Price $26.75

I suggest trying coated:
https://www.bearcreeksupplybullets.com/45200hb

https://www.bearcreeksupplybullets.com/45205