Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting With One Eye Closed

Rosshooting

Do a seach and this topic has been covered to death...

That being said, I have no dominant eye so I shoot with a piece of black tape on my glasses when shooting iron sites, BE uses clear tape. Closing one eye has some draws backs, but blocking it with tape hasn't hurt me any.

I have been fighting this battle for a year or so now. I finally gave in and shoot with my dominent eye (left) while shooting right handed. I have improved to where on most close in and medium distance shots I usually have both eyes open but as the distance grows I increasingly close my non-dominant eye.

I keep working on it. You really can see better. :)

FWIW

dj

Bub Bond

Showed me a neet trick with a red dot sight, and shooting both eyes open.= Tape over the end of the scope / lenz so that you can see the dot but not trough the lenz. We did it with steel 8" targets. the only way to see the target was with the nondominate eye the dominat eye was the one that could see the dot. I don't think I missed a target in the drill.

And It gives you some idea of just how much more speed you could get by using both eyes.

Bud is a grate shooter that trys to drag others to the top with him.

These work great, still lets you use both eyes but blocks out the dot when my right eye tries to find it. I'm going to go to the smaller one this yr. I'll give it a try.

Here 19mm Magic dot and here the other one 13mm magic dot

This give a better explanation on it here

I'm left handed and right eye dominant.

Flyin40

Edited by Flyin40

Powerman,

I have the same situation with nondominance.

Black pasters were too dark, like a giant black hole in front of my weak eye.

Magic tape was too transparent , like telivision static , very distracting.

So, I went to a local auto parts store and bought some static cling window film in different shades of grey and covered that with tape to make it blurry.

The light grey works well for me in most light.

For some reason indoors and in very low light the darker shade disappears better in fron of my weak eye.

I use a dot just large enough to cover the gun and my hand , I can still see out of the rest of the glasses ( my dot is maybe 5/8 " or so ).

Static cling film also leaves no adhesive residue on your glasses.

Experiment and see what works for you.

Travis F.

I saw the latest episode of one of Jim Scouten's shows this week. Jerry M was discussing stance in the "Pro Tips" segment. They had a frontal shot of Jerry shooting plates and he shoots with one eye closed, so I guess it can be done with some success :D

I saw the latest episode of one of Jim Scouten's shows this week. Jerry M was discussing stance in the "Pro Tips" segment. They had a frontal shot of Jerry shooting plates and he shoots with one eye closed, so I guess it can be done with some success :D

Yeah. I was watching the Worldshoot DVD and when the camera was facing the shooters, I was surprised at how many closed one eye.

You beat me to this post-- I noticed the same thing and had precisely the same thought. I even rewound it and watched a few times... and I don't think he fully closed the eye, but gave it a really good squint. Of course, I'm not exactly sure if Jerry Miculek is 100% human. There's gotta be some divine intervention in anybody who can shoot a revolver like that!

Edited by jkrispies

All the really great ones have X-ray vision that can see right through their eyelids.

Jerry always closes his weak eye on longer precision shots or small targets. Bottom line....he's tried it both ways and gets the best results with an eye closed. The shooting glasses he uses for iron sights actually have magnification on the right lense but none in the left lense. I get dizzy looking through them. He's much more prone to closing the weak eye with iron sights but again he'll close it even with the dot gun on harder shots.

Kay M.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the importance of this topic is, in general, massively overrated. I've done some fantastic shooting, high-speed and accuracy oriented, with one eye closed or squinted a bit. But closing or squinting one eye "properly" - while leaving the aiming eye perfectly relaxed and wide open - is difficult to learn and do, especially under stress. Which is why I eventually transitioned to the transparent tape. Once I wore the tape long enough to get used to it, it was just easier to leave both eyes open.

be

• 4 weeks later...

My problem is I wear progressive lenses (trifocal) so even closing one eye I still have to move my head up and down until I can see the sights in focus.

What really helped me was to have my optomitrist make me a pair of shooting glasses with a progressive lens for my weak eye and a fixed lens for my dominant eye focused at arms length.

I have always shot with one eye closed but with these glasses I can have both open and the sights are in perfect focus.

Give it a try if you too are over 50 and progressive lens impaired.

I went to glasses as described above and the front sight was once again sharp, but I have double vision so I ended up shooting with one eye taped and the other set for the front sight. After spending a thousand bucks with my eye doctor and watching my scores decline for two years I found the perfect cure. It's called an Open gun. :lol:

I would say: whatever works best for you, and don't worry about it. However, you lose depth perception and limit peripheral vision on one side with one eye closed, so my defensive pistol (not for competition) instructor always stressed both eyes open. But, you need to hit what you are shooting at so again, do what works the best for you and don't concern yourself with the "right" way to do something. Keep trying until you find the way that works for you.

On the other hand, my scores indicate that I shoot with both eyes closed!