Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide lightening

konkapot

line "z" ?  I'm not finding a "line z" in either the current nor the former rulebook.

As of the current rulebook the rule for ESP is very simple. It is basically "if it makes weight and it fits in the box" it's legal.

You also can't have a trigger shoe or violate 8.1.7 which some may find constraining but most will not.

Other that you can do just about anything normally done to a gun including lightening the slide.

I do think you are GTG now.  Once upon a time, there had to be hundreds of the same pistol made.  I don't think that is the case now.  My Artemis has obvious slide lightning cuts and I passed the chrono a few weeks ago at an IDPA major.  He was looking harder at my non-functioning grip safety.   The sight block didn't appear to cross his mind at all.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/11/2022 at 11:01 PM, ddc said:

line "z" ?  I'm not finding a "line z" in either the current nor the former rulebook.

As of the current rulebook the rule for ESP is very simple. It is basically "if it makes weight and it fits in the box" it's legal.

You also can't have a trigger shoe or violate 8.1.7 which some may find constraining but most will not.

Other that you can do just about anything normally done to a gun including lightening the slide.

What do they mean by trigger shoe?

A trigger shoe is a thingy that clamps on your trigger to form a much wider pad for your trigger finger.

It spreads the load and makes the trigger pull FEEL lighter.

The usual sort is SO wide as to snag on the mouth of a holster, which is why it is not safe for IDPA etc.  

11 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

What do they mean by trigger shoe?

I assume they mean an additional piece that fits onto the trigger to provide additional width and/or reach.

I assume the reasoning is that it would make it easier to inadvertently snag the trigger on clothing or whatever.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/terminology/firearms-accessories/trigger-shoe/#:~:text=A trigger shoe is a,contact over a wider area.

Edit to add: I see that Jim and I responded simultaneously. 

Edited by ddc

• 7 months later...

Similar question so I'm tagging it on...

Is hidden milling allowed in SSP to make weight? As an example: porting a non-visible part of the slide or milling the frame underneath grips. It's not on the "allowed" or "disallowed" lists.

I feel like this is one of those things that's always been done but I haven't been shooting IDPA that long.

9 hours ago, matteekay said:

Similar question so I'm tagging it on...

Is hidden milling allowed in SSP to make weight? As an example: porting a non-visible part of the slide or milling the frame underneath grips. It's not on the "allowed" or "disallowed" lists.

I feel like this is one of those things that's always been done but I haven't been shooting IDPA that long.

My AC once said we're not allowed to check at equipment check so it's legal. This was for a different question, but seems the same would apply. 

The rules do say "no visible external mods allowed" So this implies internal work might be allowed. Also "internal reliability work" and "internal accuracy work" are allowed. You might be able to make the case that removing weight from the slide was meant to improve these things. The frame might be a harder argument. I'd rather take the weight our of the slide if it was possible to remove enough.