Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ TSO Safety That I wont Bump

papamcb

Good afternoon, I shoot with a high support hand and thumbs up (Like the Fonzie) and am struggling to find a safety that I do not bump with my support hand and can engage/disengage easily. I switched from the stock TSO extended safety to a Shadow2 flat which works great for my high support hand grip but it is a pain to engage/disengage. My preferred grip has the meat of my support hand smothering the safety and if I adjust for the extended safety I end up bumping it. CZ Custom has a extended safety that looks promising but wanted to get others input before buying one. I am a large/xl size glove if that helps

image-asset.jpeg

Okay.. so I had the same problem. What you need to do is take an AR-15 detent spring and cut it down to just a touch bigger than the existing safety spring. It takes a little effort but that will put enough pressure on the safety so as to make it all but impossible to accidentally bump on.

you can easily flick the safety off because your muscle is stronger pushing down. So that’s not an issue. I have to put some effort to get it to turn on though.

19 hours ago, obsessiveshooter said:

Have you considered grinding off part of your weak hand?   

Little extreme modification.     I had same problem. I used a S2 safety on the left side stock Czechmate safety on the right side with the heavier safety spring.    

When you say "bump", do you mean that you are accidentally engaging the safety while shooting? I occasionally did this till I installed the CZC extended safety and changed my grip to have my thumb riding the safety.

You will still bump the underside of the large CZC safety with the meat of your thumb causing the safety to engage. I found Lok grips will push the meat of your thumb back a bit so it doesn't ride the underside of safety.

6 hours ago, WildPete said:

You will still bump the underside of the large CZC safety with the meat of your thumb causing the safety to engage. I found Lok grips will push the meat of your thumb back a bit so it doesn't ride the underside of safety.

I just spent 10 minutes trying to get this to happen. I couldn't. If my thumb is on top of the safety and I'm crushing the grip like I should be, no amount of support hand meat can push it up.

23 hours ago, TonytheTiger said:

When you say "bump", do you mean that you are accidentally engaging the safety while shooting? I occasionally did this till I installed the CZC extended safety and changed my grip to have my thumb riding the safety.

That is correct, the meat of my support hand would bump the safety while shooting and stop the trigger. This would happen when I used the stock TSO extended safety (picture attached). Below is a link to  a couple pictures of my normal grip in case it is helpful. In pictures I am using the Shadow2 flat safety which allows my hand to comfortably sit that high. My guess is even if I use the extended CZC safety I will still need to adjust my support hand grip lower and even then I my engage (bump) it. 

Link to pictures of my grip: https://imgur.com/a/LBv2e6V

TSO-1-1024x576.jpg

Edited by papamcb

15 minutes ago, papamcb said:

That is correct, the meat of my support hand would bump the safety while shooting and stop the trigger. This would happen when I used the stock TSO extended safety (picture attached). Below is a link to  a couple pictures of my normal grip in case it is helpful. In pictures I am using the Shadow2 flat safety which allows my hand to comfortably sit that high. My guess is even if I use the extended CZC safety I will still need to adjust my support hand grip lower and even then I my engage (bump) it. 

TSO-1-1024x576.jpg

I had thus happen with my extended safety on my old Tac Sport and with my Czechmate. 

Try Lok Palm swells grips.

On 6/24/2022 at 9:02 AM, papamcb said:

TSO-1-1024x576.jpg

Found your problem. 

You've got sasquatch hands. 

Should probably do something about that.

19 hours ago, TonytheTiger said:

Found your problem. 

You've got sasquatch hands. 

Should probably do something about that.

That's funny I never though of myself having large hand, but everyone says I have a pumpkin head lol. Thank you all for the input, looks like I have some experimenting to do 

Edited by papamcb

5 hours ago, papamcb said:

That's funny I never though of myself having large hand, but everyone says I have a pumpkin head lol. 

LOL, I've never seen a gun as big as a TS almost disappear in someones hands before. I wish I could offer some advice, but my hands don't even have the square footage to replicate your problem!

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to update the thread and thank everyone for the insights. I ended up getting some Lok palm swell grips (they are awesome) and tried the CZC extended safety but it ended up digging in worse than the stock safety. I was going to grind on it as others had suggested but decided to go another route. Looking to try the Sebo type 2 next since it does not curve back down as mentioned by Superkaratemonkeyfighter. The angle on the Sebo when disengaged looks similar to the angle on the shadow 2 flat safety when it is engaged and that rides over my support hand. 

https://seboweapons.com/en/cz-spare-parts/172-large-safety-both-sides-type-2.html?search_query= Large+safety+-+type+2&results=54

Edited by papamcb