Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommendation for In-Ear Electronic Hearing Protection

Paul_H

Anyone have any specific company they would recommend for in-ear electronic custom hearing protection? I've reached out to my audiologist who is researching what companies they may be able to source custom in-ear hearing protection from, but looking for other companies i might look at in case the local audiologist comes up blank? Understand they can be quite pricey, but heading out to Gunsite for a class in late August and would much prefer some in-ear protection over my usual ear muffs, if for no reason other than I can wear a nice sun hat with a full brim. Also have money in my HSA that should cover the cost. Any suggestions/recommendations appreciated.

Paul

Sound Gear, specifically Chris & Jennifer Bain (they shoot USPSA) House of Hearing in St. George UT.  They are pricey, but check with Chris bc it may be covered under your health insurance.  Mine were.  Chris is often a sponsor at major matches and will set up a booth.   

I'm looking into the Sound Gear. There's a local audiologist that deals with them. With any luck my insurance will cover, if not I'm hoping I can get a letter of necessity so I can use my HSA dollars to pay for them, have tons of money in that account just sitting. They seem like the best option. With any luck I can get them in place before my trip to Gunsite at the end of August.

If not I'll look at some of the other options.

Thanks everyone,

Paul

I’m on my second set of custom in-ear electronic hearing protection from PremEar. The first set I’ve had for 5 years and the other for a little over 1. I still use both and have a set of passive plugs I use under my helmet flying (military aircraft aren’t exactly made for comfort in any way). They are the most reasonably priced from what I’ve seen and mine have been amazing. If you don’t catch them at a match your audiologist can send in mold like everyone else.

http://premearhearing.com/wp/ 

Has anyone tried these "self mold" custom earplugs?  It's advertised as 31dB.  For non RO shooters, these are probably OK if you just want to block out the shots. 

Decibullz - Custom Molded Earplugs, 31dB Highest NRR, Comfortable Hearing Protection for Shooting, Travel, Work and Concerts

https://www.amazon.com/Decibullz-Earplugs-Comfortable-Protection-Shooting/dp/B01N129AQ8

5 hours ago, JusticeOfToren said:

Has anyone tried these "self mold" custom earplugs?  It's advertised as 31dB.  For non RO shooters, these are probably OK if you just want to block out the shots. 

Decibullz - Custom Molded Earplugs, 31dB Highest NRR, Comfortable Hearing Protection for Shooting, Travel, Work and Concerts

https://www.amazon.com/Decibullz-Earplugs-Comfortable-Protection-Shooting/dp/B01N129AQ8

I've tried these, and didn't particularly care for them. The mold itself was pretty hard once it set, so didn't feel like it sealed that well / was that comfortable. I'd rather just use foam plugs instead

I currently use the Otto Noizebarriers, but had custom Silicone earplugs done up to pair with them instead, with the molds taken from a local hearing center. Cost was ~$200 for plugs, and $350 for Ottos (2 years ago).

By far the best setup I've ever used for shooting. The earplugs are softer than the decibullz, so seal a lot more like actual foam plugs put in correctly. But much easier to insert since it's molded to my ear, and I just twist them in quickly. Also quite comfortable and can wear them all day without soreness

The Ottos have been good too - I will say the first pair I had were partially defective, and lost charge very quickly. Would drain to 20% within 3 or so hours. Customer service was great to me, and I got an RMA label and a brand new set which has worked perfectly since. Still has 60-70% charge after a 6 hour match day. Noise amplification and blocking performance is great, and doesn't suffer from wind noise either  

Just now, whan said:

I currently use the Otto Noizebarriers, but had custom Silicone earplugs done up to pair with them instead, with the molds taken from a local hearing center. Cost was ~$200 for plugs, and $350 for Ottos (2 years ago).

@whan, that sounds like it could be a workable and cost effective solution. What was the process for getting the silicone earplugs made? Just bring the Otto's in to the hearing center and they were able to mold the earplugs and fit them to the Otto's?

Paul

6 hours ago, JusticeOfToren said:

I’ve used them and like them. To me, they’re more comfortable than regular plus or foamies. They stay in better, too. 

However, they’re nowhere close to as good as real custom molded plugs. 

1 hour ago, Paul_H said:

@whan, that sounds like it could be a workable and cost effective solution. What was the process for getting the silicone earplugs made? Just bring the Otto's in to the hearing center and they were able to mold the earplugs and fit them to the Otto's?

Paul

Yes, they'll get a mold of your ear which they'll send off to get plugs made, and for the Otto's they'll have a hole through them so they transmit sound through the plug, and also fit over the attachment point that goes into your ears (The ottos standard can be used with a few different plugs/attachments that go into your ear)

I need to spend some time digging into this over the winter months.  I’ve been wanting a decent pair of in-ear plugs for a while now. Thanks for everyone’s recommendations. 

Finally connected with my audiologist. Have an appointment on Friday for a hearing test and consultation. She indicated that she has several options available through her office. Don't have any details yet on brands yet, but knowing the quality of care I've gotten from the rest of the ENT office she practices out of, I'm sure the are all quality solutions and she also indicated that using my HSA funds will not be an issue. Will see what happens on Friday. Really hoping to have them before Gunsite in August, as I'm not looking forward to my Peltor 500's in August in AZ.... 

Just to close the loop... Met with my audiologist today. Turns out their hearing aid supplier is Starkey, who happens to be the manufacturer of SoundGear. So even though SoundGear does not list my ENT's office as a retailer, they can get get SoundGear ear pro, and at a much better price than what SoundGear lists it for retail on their website, at least for the Phantom line. In fairness, I didn't ever price out SoundGear through any retail channels.