Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W M&P

Patrick Sweeney

The Glock 17/22 guide rods and springs will work but the flat wire ISMI springs don't kink up like the round wire Wolff springs do. I've seen three different spring weights tossed around as the factory spring weight but I think the most common is the 15-17#.

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had been reading about this on the MP-Pistol.com forum and tonight I got first hand experience.

I was sitting here reading the forums and dry firing. I heard a funny "clink" and the M&P wouldn't reset. I pulled the slide off and the striker was flopping back and forth in it's slot.

I have had this gun for less than a month and fired less than 500 rounds plus the dry fire.

I believe this is a very late prod. run. Ser. # is MPF8XXX.

I have to find a way to get hold of some from S&W to find what they are doing with this problem.

Kinda scarey for a defensive weapon.

I had been reading about this on the MP-Pistol.com forum and tonight I got first hand experience.

I was sitting here reading the forums and dry firing. I heard a funny "clink" and the M&P wouldn't reset. I pulled the slide off and the striker was flopping back and forth in it's slot.

I have had this gun for less than a month and fired less than 500 rounds plus the dry fire.

I have to find a way to get hold of some from S&W to find what they are doing with this problem.

Same thing happened with mine - dry firing and the striker broke. Just call S&W and they will either send you a new one or most likely they will want to gun back.

What caliber? Most of the problems I've heard of are with the 40. I've put about 2000 rounds through my 9mm SN MPH**** with lots of dry fire. No problems yet. But I think I'll have to get hold of an extra striker just in case.

What caliber? Most of the problems I've heard of are with the 40. I've put about 2000 rounds through my 9mm SN MPH**** with lots of dry fire. No problems yet. But I think I'll have to get hold of an extra striker just in case.

Mine is a 9mm - with serial number MPBxxx - I'm buying a spare striker for the bag and using snap caps for dry fire from now on. I'm starting to hear about these strikers breaking during dry fire more and more....hope Smith gets it solved - great gun otherwise.

NCShooter,

It is the M&P 9mm ser. # MPF8XXX. I believe this is one of the late runs.

Who can give me the phone number for the S&W dept. that I need to talk to.

Last year 15k rounds plus lots of dry fire through two glocks ( G22 and G17) one broken trigger return spring for the entire year.

If I was a P.O. carrying one of these I would be very nervous.

JFS

S&W customer service: 800.331.0852 (I think).

I don't have a bottomfeeder M&P...yet, anyway. ;) It sounds like the common thread in these breakages is dry firing. The Beretta 92 series apparently does the same thing, but is stone reliable if all you do is shoot it. I wouldn't get concerned unless it started happening when using ammo. Even S&W revolvers occasionally break firing pins when dry firing.

Chris,

Don't Bill have a M&P?

jfs

Bill's got a 9mm...it's worked fine in the one steel match he's shot it in.

Best of luck getting your M&P woes worked out! If I ever get a chance to beat you in a match again, I don't want it to be from gun malfunctions.

FWIW, there are several makes of pistol that don't like to be dry fired too much with out a snap cap, it just so happens that Glocks and 1911s don't seem to care if something is in the chamber to stop or cushion the FP/striker.

Heck, CZ 75's come with a snap cap in the factory box for that very reason.

Edited by Middle Man

PB,

I have been following your progress through your diary, it wears me out just reading all of it.

I guess the intimidation factor is kicking in. I probably won't finish in your dust at Miamisburg, but I be there for the fun.

If the gun don't break I still get to claim old age and when my SS check comes in I'll buy you a beer.

JFSjava script:emoticon(':lol:', 'smid_9')

:lol:

I have been following your progress through your diary, it wears me out just reading all of it.

Don't believe the hype! ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[woke up ...... dry-fired for 1 minute .... surfed the forum for 2 hours ....... Boy am I exhausted ;) ]

Edited by CHRIS KEEN

FYI

A S&W rep told me that the stock recoil spring in the M&P 9mm is 17#. He also said that the Wolf springs and guide rods for Glock work in the M&P.

Cy, the rep is correct, Ive already tried it with Wolff rods and springs in my MP and it works fine.

QUOTE(NCShooter @ Jan 4 2007, 06:27 PM) *

QUOTE(jspruance @ Jan 4 2007, 08:03 PM) *

Good News,

I just got off of the phone with S&W customer service.

I talked to a tech named "Larry" a really nice guy. I explained my problem with the broken striker. He asked me if I felt comfortable replacing the striker. I told him I did and already had the defective one out of the gun.

He told me to hold a second and a few seconds later he was back on the line telling me that he was dropping a new style striker in an envelope.

He took my name and address and said that the new striker would go out in the mail today.

That is good customer service.

JFS

I can only wonder what would have been said about the GLOCK when it first came in .40 (if the internet forums where what they are today) but they were still kept on duty all over the world.....<not glock bashing mode>......

DougC

Edited by DougC

I can only wonder what would have been said about the GLOCK when it first came in .40 (if the internet forums where what they are today) but they were still kept on duty all over the world.....<not glock bashing mode>......

DougC

DougC,

They were said. The 40 Glocks were having issues before the third pin was added and they were coming a part. One local dept here had 9mm Glocks, switched to the .40's and actually wasted the time and money to switch back a year later due to the 40 Glocks falling apart so badly. Everything has growing pains, but they'll work though it.

"If your life depends on it, get a Glock."

For some maybe, but I put my life on the line everyday w/ an MP and am completely comfortable w/ it. Ernie Langdon has over 40,000 rounds of full power/duty type ammo through his MP with NO problems or catastrophic failures. Again, there are several firearms that cant be fired tens of thousands of times w/out a snap cap or at least it is not recommended. The MP is no different. So simply put in a snap cap when dry firing, small problem solved easily.

Edited by Kevin Kline

DougC

DougC,

They were said. The 40 Glocks were having issues before the third pin was added and they were coming a part. One local dept here had 9mm Glocks, switched to the .40's and actually wasted the time and money to switch back a year later due to the 40 Glocks falling apart so badly. Everything has growing pains, but they'll work though it.

If your life depends on it, get a Glock. For some maybe, but I put my life on the line everyday w/ an MP and am completely comfortable w/ it. Ernie Langdon has over 40,000 rounds of full power/duty type ammo through his MP with NO problems or catastrophic failures. Again, there are several firearms that cant be fired tens of thousands of times w/out a snap cap or at least it is not recommended. The MP is no different. So simply put in a snap cap when dry firing, small problem solved easily.

I agree completely - I've talked with Ernie as well and he said the same thing about having that number of rounds through his 40 - I haven't heard of a single striker failure in live fire - it's all been in dry fire up to this point and Kevin is correct...snap caps will fix that worry.

+1, a snap cap is a cheap solution!!

You can buy 5 Tipton Snap caps at Midway for $12 Retail

Most firearms out there recommend that you don't Dry Fire them anyway.

A Snap cap is a safe way to practice, and a cheap insurance at that too!!

Y

PS: I'll be trust ing my life to an M&P as soon as my 40 comes in!!

Edited by ysued

+1, a snap cap is a cheap solution!!

You can buy 5 Tipton Snap caps at Midway for $12 Retail

Most firearms out there recommend that you don't Dry Fire them anyway.

A Snap cap is a safe way to practice, and a cheap insurance at that too!!

Y

Shouldn't have to do that. My M&P 9 is sitting in the safe. If I have trouble with the striker, I'll expect S&W to make it right. If they have a design flaw I'll expect them to fix it. They've got a lot riding on this design.

IPSC competition requires at the end of a course of fire the competitor will unload , show clear and drop the hammer/striker on an empty chamber. No snap caps allowed no soft release allowed.

Any gun that can't stand this test for years of competition won't make it.

JFS