Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 17rd mags with +5 base pad issues

G17fan

Hello, I have new mags, ISMI 170mm springs with a +5 base pad. Problem is after about 13rds the spring buckles. It’ll take 22rds but only 5 will come out under spring pressure and then the rest fall out. When I take base pad off I can see spring tweaked. 

Help please! 

1 hour ago, Jsjac said:

Sounds like the follower is getting hung up on the magazine extension. 

This.  You may need to lightly sand or dremel the bottom of the follower and/or the top of the basepad to ensure the follower tracks smoothly in the mag tube.  

3 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

This.  You may need to lightly sand or dremel the bottom of the follower and/or the top of the basepad to ensure the follower tracks smoothly in the mag tube.  

Is 170mm to long and should be 140mm with a +5?

Edited by G17fan

1 minute ago, G17fan said:

Is 170mm to long and should be 140mm with a +5?

What basepad?  All I’ve used are TTI and Arrendondo +5/6 kits and they came with springs, which I assume are for 140 length mags.  My guess would be that 170 springs may be too much and may be causing all or some (or none?) of your issue.  I would definitely take everything apart and check how the follower interacts with the area where the bottom of the tube meets the top of the basepad.  I had the same problem with Arredondos and after tapering the skirt of the follower and the basepad where the skirt contacts it, the problem went away.  

9 hours ago, G17fan said:

Hello, I have new mags, ISMI 170mm springs with a +5 base pad. Problem is after about 13rds the spring buckles. It’ll take 22rds but only 5 will come out under spring pressure and then the rest fall out. When I take base pad off I can see spring tweaked. 

Help please! 

Why are you using 170 mm long springs in a magazine that is 140 mm long?  Do you think that maybe that's why the spring is binding up?

Edited by Johnny_Chimpo

2 hours ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

Why are you using 170 mm long springs in a magazine that is 140 mm long?  Do you think that maybe that's why the spring is binding up?

Thought about that and I could have ordered the wrong ones. I’ll cut a couple coils off and retest. 

As some mentioned above, just use 140mm springs. Only in rare situations is it worthwhile to consider extra spring pressure from using an oversized spring. For example, if you're using really hot ammo that cycles the slide too quickly for the mag to catch up.

5 minutes ago, CClassForLife said:

As some mentioned above, just use 140mm springs. Only in rare situations is it worthwhile to consider extra spring pressure from using an oversized spring. For example, if you're using really hot ammo that cycles the slide too quickly for the mag to catch up.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, et45 said:

I use the Taylor Freelance,no issues 

Same here, although I think one of the other brands will fit 1 more round than the TF. But that hasn’t been an issue for me yet. 

I use the springs below, made by TTI for their +5/6 basepads.  Wait for a sale if you can and load up so you have spares.  My last order was during a Black Friday sale a couple years ago at 30% off!  Been running TTI +5/6 basepads for my Glock 17 in USPSA for several years and never any problems with the springs.  I do change them out every 1-2 years, depending on volume of ammo shot.
https://tarantacticalinnovations.com/glock-full-size-5-6-and-xd-m-3-4-replacement-spring/

On 6/6/2022 at 9:25 AM, ShredderTactical said:

I use the springs below, made by TTI for their +5/6 basepads.  Wait for a sale if you can and load up so you have spares.  My last order was during a Black Friday sale a couple years ago at 30% off!  Been running TTI +5/6 basepads for my Glock 17 in USPSA for several years and never any problems with the springs.  I do change them out every 1-2 years, depending on volume of ammo shot.
https://tarantacticalinnovations.com/glock-full-size-5-6-and-xd-m-3-4-replacement-spring/

I found the MBX 140 springs. They are flared out at the bottom to prevent the spring from buckling. Too then to the range and 175rds later, perfection! Worked just fine with stock Glock follower!