Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clean shot and 135s

Bakerjd

So my tinkering with anything I can hobby got the better of me the other day. Ended up getting 5lbs of shooters world clean shot to mess around with. Everything I read/skimmed through sounded good about it in 9 minor. So anyone have any load data with 135gn coated bullets? My usual OAL is 1.19. 

135 grain coated Ibejiheads with 3.55 grains of Clean Shot @ OAL of 1.20 chronoed at 9 degrees F gave me average velocity of 971 pfs with a spread of 15 fps.  Power Factor 131.   I've been using Clean Shot for a few years now and its all I use for 9mm in both CO and PCC.

• 3 months later...
46 minutes ago, Bakerjd said:

Well I'm almost out of ramshot comp so I'll be changing here soon. How clean is clean shot? And how well does it meter through a dillon powder funnel? How much smoke?

Cleanshot is fantastic. It’s one of the best metering powders out there. Average smoke in my experience. 

It’s a bit reverse temp sensitive… so if you developed your load in the heat… you’ll get a few extra FPS in the winter. 

It’s my go-to powder for carry optics and PCC. 

7 minutes ago, Bakerjd said:

@Dirty_J thanks for the info! 

All the Cleanshot folks try to say it’s the coated lead bullets coatings softening… but I don’t get the same FPS drop in the summer running Alliant Sport Pistol with the same bullets. 

Not a deal breaker… just something to be aware of if you’re shooting a sport with power factor minimums. 

8 minutes ago, Dirty_J said:

All the Cleanshot folks try to say it’s the coated lead bullets coatings softening… but I don’t get the same FPS drop in the summer running Alliant Sport Pistol with the same bullets. 

Not a deal breaker… just something to be aware of if you’re shooting a sport with power factor minimums. 

Being reverse temp sensitive isn't really a bad thing for me. I try to do all my load development in the winter. I'm in MI amd have access to a 24hr indoor range. I usually like my load to be around 130PF anyways. 

Have you used sport pistol for 9 minor? I know a few people who use it for limited in 40 major and like it. 

2 minutes ago, Bakerjd said:

Being reverse temp sensitive isn't really a bad thing for me. I try to do all my load development in the winter. I'm in MI amd have access to a 24hr indoor range. I usually like my load to be around 130PF anyways. 

Have you used sport pistol for 9 minor? I know a few people who use it for limited in 40 major and like it. 

I love sport pistol as well. At “room temps” I find sport pistol and Cleanshot to load identically for the same velocity. Same for the winter months. 

Hot (85+) is the only time I really see a difference in the two. 

sport pistol isn’t as “fine” as Cleanshot, but it loads just as consistently for me. 

I wouldn’t hesitate to use either for minor loads. 

I really like it. The following is about the best chrono I've ever gotten out of my reloading.

Sig X5.

RMR JHP

4.10/4.15 grains.

Name: RMR #5 124 MPR/JHP 
Notes: OAL 1.09-1.10 CRIMP .378
Cleanshot 4.10-4.15
Shots: 12
Average: 1068 ft/s
SD: 3 ft/s
Min: 1061 ft/s
Max: 1074 ft/s
Spread: 13 ft/s
Power Factor Average: 132
Power Factor Low: 131
Power Factor High: 132
Barometric Pressure: 29 in Hg
Temperature: 58 F
Weight: 123.8 gr.

Edited to add: I like Sport Pistol also.

Edited by ddc

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/14/2022 at 5:59 PM, Bakerjd said:

Well I'm almost out of ramshot comp so I'll be changing here soon. How clean is clean shot? And how well does it meter through a dillon powder funnel? How much smoke?

I was thinking about trying Ramshot competition with a coated 140 gr bullet for minor.  Why are you getting away from it?

6 hours ago, tk4 said:

I was thinking about trying Ramshot competition with a coated 140 gr bullet for minor.  Why are you getting away from it?

Only have about 6oz left and have a bunch of cleanshot. Only reason. Ramshot comp is great. Used it all season with great success.

Same powder as Accurate #2,,   Been around for a long time,,  Give it a new cool name and POOF its the latest greatest. 
It is a fine grain powder so meters well.  Id call it medium fill. More than tightgroup less than clays. 
Doesnt smoke like TG does with Moly coated,, but havent used TG with the newer poly type coating so cant compare. 
Its one of those powders I just got from a getting out of reloading situation.. Then ran across a trade for some AA#5 I had no use for,, So ended up with a bunch.   Would run it in 9 minor 40 minor 40 major, 45 acp standard stuff.  Probably 38 special,, but tend to make alot of just blasting ammo and I have a bunch of partial cans of powder to use up and alot of 38 brass. 

• 2 months later...

6-Oct-21    9mm    Mixed    DG    135 grain    RN coated    Clean Shot    3.6gr    941.2fps    S&B    1.145OAL      50°F    127,062    Good                  from CZ P-10F    very consistent                                                                                                                                                                                                     

Name: 9mm: 124gr Xtreme RN: Cleanshot 4gr: Mixed Case: OAL 1.140
Notes: Para 1911 5"
Shots: 13
Average: 1057 ft/s
SD: 7 ft/s
Min: 1044 ft/s
Max: 1073 ft/s
Spread: 29 ft/s
Power Factor Average: 131
Power Factor Low: 129
Power Factor High: 133
Barometric Pressure: 30 in Hg